Elimination Chamber 2024

DavidB6937

Rollins definitely has an upside. Many in the industry have seen it over the years and a lot of fans have been behind him too. I think there's a place for him. I just see him as lacking in something that anyone can get really invested in. He's a guy I enjoyed in ROH/NXT but that was during my workrate wanky phase where I didn't need anything else. But when you're up in the big leagues you do need something else and his characters have really failed him over the years. Maybe it's just a lot of good will from the SHIELD days or something like that. I'm not really sure. But when you compare his work to say someone like Sami Zayn it's night and day as to who you can really invest in emotionally and still get decent matches and in-ring performances. And I'd argue Sami deserves all of Seth's success and more but that's another argument.

17 minutes ago, Vamp said:

In the moments when I don't think Rollins is just a bit shite, I wonder if he just lacks self confidence. The endless nicknames and gimmicks, his moveset approach to wrestling, the obnoxious clothes and the over the top acting just makes me think he has 0 belief in himself as a performer. 

This is how I feel about most Britwres at the mo, to be honest. "Obnoxious twat who you like" and "obnoxious twat who you hate" appears to be the new face/heel divide.

• Paid Members

I like Rollins bell to bell but I don't get his character at all. I sometimes retcon my own opinion to "I never really cheered for him" then I remember him beating Lesnar at SummerSlam and the lie is exposed. He should have been a big babyface champion when he came back from his injury but even with two belts on the go, AJ had his year long WWE title reign and they weren't prepared to deviate from THE PLAN~!1 for the U belt being Reigns... even though he had to lose to Lesnar three dozen times before winning it. Bumming around doing nothing and wasting time with Miz and the Intercontintal title for so long (Vince's words : "Nobody cares about the fucking Intercontinental title") really damaged him.

52 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

You'd think it might kill the territory but then you remember they sent us Rebellions and Capital Carnage and Mayhem in Manchester and it just made the Stockholm syndrome more powerful.

I can think of two reasons why a certain portion of the core audience carried on buying.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, DavidB6937 said:

Of course that had to be one of only 2 shows I ever went to with my parents.

I never had that kind of misfortune, thankfully. Papa raid took me to my first four shows but all I remember is from the first, him telling me "You probably won't recognise any of them from TV" walking into the building for a show headlined (unbeknownst to me) by my hero defending the WWF title, and lone impressions of the show being "What the hell is that thing?" when Luna Vachon came out from the curtain, and "How tall is he?" when Diesel came out. And this was a whole three months before Art Donovan at King of the Ring.

• Paid Members

Rollins reminds me of Alberto Del Rio. I enjoy his matches for the most part and he's good in the ring and, when he makes a rare attempt to sound like a fully functioning human being, he can cut a half-decent promo. As he did recently with Rhodes. But he just doesn't understand how to put together a coherent character at all. I guiltily enjoy his absolutely stupid entrance outfits though.

He's extremely popular so maybe we're the problem, it's us.

4 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

Hilarious that they sent Australia this show. You'd think it might kill the territory but then you remember they sent us Rebellions and Capital Carnage and Mayhem in Manchester and it just made the Stockholm syndrome more powerful.

As mentioned upthread, they didn't send Perth this show - the state government of Western Australia actively courted it and for those who were watching live the event was heavily punctuated by tourism ads. 

• Paid Members
33 minutes ago, Fog Dude said:

As mentioned upthread, they didn't send Perth this show - the state government of Western Australia actively courted it and for those who were watching live the event was heavily punctuated by tourism ads. 

If you ordered a surprise box and they send you a box of shit, you'd still be upset. Unless you'd ordered it from UKFFCrates.com and then you should have known better.

• Paid Members

the Grayson Waller Effect is the most house show thing I've seen make it on to a PPV in years. Furthered nothing, some embarrassingly basic or just nonsensical mic work, and just sort of petered out with no conclusion. Four blokes cutting promos about The Rock, who wasn't there, so they all look like mugs.

I think out of everything thrown around in terms of what to do night 1 the only option that could work is Cody Vs the rock then night 2 Cody Vs Roman

The tag match has so many reasons why it won't or can't work with Seth just getting cleared this close doing two wrestlemania main event style matches back to back feels too high risk for him to get injured again and potentially worse than he's just had.

Roman just isn't doing two huge matches back to back he won't even do two appearances on smackdown back to back let's face it.

Cody really seems to be the only option that's reliable and plausible but it doesn't seem dead set if there going that way I think this weeks raw and smackdown will truly show either way because they won't be leaving it any later and have to promote and build on top with just four/five weeks till mania 

1 minute ago, Kfogg1991 said:

I think out of everything thrown around in terms of what to do night 1 the only option that could work is Cody Vs the rock then night 2 Cody Vs Roman

The tag match has so many reasons why it won't or can't work with Seth just getting cleared this close doing two wrestlemania main event style matches back to back feels too high risk for him to get injured again and potentially worse than he's just had.

Roman just isn't doing two huge matches back to back he won't even do two appearances on smackdown back to back let's face it.

Cody really seems to be the only option that's reliable and plausible but it doesn't seem dead set if there going that way I think this weeks raw and smackdown will truly show either way because they won't be leaving it any later and have to promote and build on top with just four/five weeks till mania 

Cody's winning, Also Its Mania, Roman can work two shows if he's told to. That is his job. 

9 minutes ago, Kfogg1991 said:

I get that he doesn't do it regularly but it's not like he never does. Plus I don't think it's a "wont".