I haven't watched any aew in months but found a bootleg of the Hook title match, they did a really good job of having him get destroyed while also looking strong, that's a tough feat. But fucking hell, Hangman looks great right now..

I'd love for them to have Hangman chase Joe for the belt and eventually take it off him only for Swerve to immediately call his number and challenge for it. 

Uses Joe to make/remake Hangman, gives Hangman the properly booked high profile title feud the handsome bastard deserved, and eventually leads to Swerve going over as the top guy in a way that seems to sell better to me than Joe Vs Swerve. But as an alternative, Swerve picking up the title and Hangman getting his big win over him for the belt's not a bad shout either. It's not like Hangman's suddenly the old veteran that has to get out of the way. 

Basically, Hangman/Swerve again at some point with the belt between them. My Way package. 

Throw a three way dance in there somewhere too. Honestly, you could just have these three go around at the top for a good solid year and I'd be happy. I don't think Jay White's at the level yet and I feel completely burned out/overexposed on MJF's "Bad guy with feelings" shtick and - it's not fair on the guy, I know - kind of guilt by association him with AEW's worst ever period. 

Edited by Gay as FOOK

On 1/20/2024 at 10:53 AM, Loki said:

I don't want to hear any more talk about who should be holding the title later in the year

Yeah, I think AEW needs to build towards Hangman Swerve, but it’s a little heartbreaking to see everyone planning for that. What about a nice long reign from the Boss?

• Paid Members

It’s eyeliner/make up. He said in an interview he’s taken cues from Undertaker and Ledger’s joker for his current presentation in terms of making a creepy/monstrous look captivating to an audience.

I think it looks great, makes him look more villainous and intense, and like he hasn’t slept. He’s too busy scheming and plotting and too focused on his goal to sleep. 

• Paid Members

HOOK vs. Joe was a masterpiece. Easily my current match of the year. Absolute magic. Everyone playing their part incredibly, everyone more over because of it. And I include Taz in that. Has anyone ever had a World Title match with their fucking Dad on the call before? Such a phenomenal piece of business. From the concern when Joe got the heat, taking his headset off to compose himself, to him losing his mind in the comeback after HOOK kicked out at one. “OH SHIT, HE’S ON FIRE!” Call of the year. But yeah, just top tier shit everywhere you looked. Joe strutting all over the shop like Timmy Top Bollocks. HOOK refusing to stay down. Hangman’s moustache making the save. Swerve snarling from the crowd, looking like shit. Yes lads. This is my jam.

I almost hate to say it because I rate him so highly, but it’s astonishing how much this main event scene - and show as a whole - has improved in the absence of MJF. Do you know what I’m not missing? Promo BATTLES~! where guys bury each other. Scooby Doo bullshit. Shitty shoot comments aimed at popping idiots online. Even the cute babyface turn with all the clever layers. It can all stay gone for as long as Max is out injured. You don’t know what you’ve got until it’s gone, indeed. I don’t miss any of it.

It hit me the most during Swerve’s promo. Listing all of Hangman’s accomplishments, detailing all his biggest wins, only to remind everyone that he himself is still two nil up on Page. Tremendous. Putting your opponent over, whilst still proclaiming to be the best. Just a bunch of double-hard motherfuckers all trying to prove they’re the best. Proper pro-wrestling, this. Don’t rush back, Max.

Another good show. They’re three for three this year with Dynamite. The most obvious attempt at a prolonged course correct I can remember seeing from this company.

Great opener. Two old pros doing what they do best. I continue to have all the time in the world for Nick Wayne, too. The most perfect, punchable face. Brilliant prick heel.

Mark Briscoe made me cry. AEW has fallen off a lot in the last year or so, with the cracks more visible than ever, but when it comes to the real important stuff like this they remain on a level above everyone. Amazing stuff. So lovely. Mark Briscoe needs to be challenging for World Titles. There’s no-one I root for more. It’ll be absolutely criminal if he goes back to slumming it with the Hardys after this.

Nicholas and Mathew Jackson have turned it around in no time flat. Fantastic gimmick. Fantastic clobber. Fantastic promo. What a pair of pricks.

Trent is turning on Orange Cassidy before Revolution, right? God, I hope so. It made me sad to see him listed as being International Champion for over ninety days and yet I couldn’t tell you anything he’s done since winning it back from Moxley. Crazy how much this second run has meant nothing considering what an all-time run that first reign was. Give him something meaty to do already!

Toni Storm was a hoot at the desk. Great chemistry with Ian Riccaboni, who always delivers. Everything is improved when it’s in the Riccabone-zone.

Darby and Sting going for the Tag Belts before calling it a day, and the rankings returning? Tony Khan is reading my wishlists on here! Hey Tony, sign Maximum Male Models!

Only exciting thing about the Bang Bang Super Gang is the potential for them to unify the belts. Get rid of all these ROH titles already. They mean less than nothing.

Worst part of the show was their continued, cynical attempt to keep Jericho in the mix whilst being simultaneously so petrified of what that means. When was the last time Chris Jericho wrestled on Rampage? I’m convinced it was 2021, in that match with American Top Team. Weird that he suddenly returned to competing on that show, isn’t it? What’s changed Chris, you tragic knobhead? Why are you suddenly on the taped show, I wonder? If you’re not confident enough in performing in front of a live crowd, maybe you should just fuck off? I refuse to believe anyone would miss him.

Odds on them doing Takeshita vs. Jericho, Empty Arena Match?

Edited by Supremo

2 hours ago, Supremo said:

It hit me the most during Swerve’s promo. Listing all of Hangman’s accomplishments, detailing all his biggest wins, only to remind everyone that he himself is still two nil up on Page. Tremendous.  

"He can probably beat god, but he can't beat Swerve."

So simple but effective. Brillient.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Supremo said:

Has anyone ever had a World Title match with their fucking Dad on the call before?

Without checking, I’d say there’s a good chance Shane McMahon might have had a TV shot at Stone Cold or The Rock with his dad hamming it up next to JR & King. Different vibes.

I've only caught this segment on YouTube, so perhaps the rest of the show was bad, and that's why no one has posted about it - but this is surely the best women's feud AEW has ever done?

I loved everything about this - although I'm not entirely sure where they go with this. If Deonna was to win the title straight away, there's nothing much else for her to achieve in AEW...simply put, it feels too soon. But having her come in with such hype then lose to Toni doesn't seem quite right either. My guess is Storm wins, only to be confronted by Mercedes Mone - if that does happen, I really hope - win or lose (likely lose) - Toni gets the chance to main event the next AEW PPV against Mercedes. I'd like Storm to have a lengthy reign with the belt but whatever happens, she deserves to main event a PPV at some point. She's absolutely brilliant in this role. 

The show in-ring and segments wise is the usual solid work you'd expect from a Dynamite. The problem is there's a tiny horrible crowd that drains any enthusiasm. Prince Nana was a miracle worker during the Swerve v. Hardy match to try and get people engaged.

There were also some sound issues. There was a moment when Hook was talking to Joe, the crowd couldn't hear and you could barely hear on TV. Which led to the rare instance of a genuine What? attempt from the crowd. MiSu's entrance might as well have been a passing car blasting the music.

Some good stuff being set-up like Swerve and Hangman doing pick you posion matches next week. Sting and Darby getting a tag title shot in two weeks. Deonna and Toni continuing. But its hard to care about Wardlow/Trent with OC/Roderick in the background and Rosa v. Velvet just being a match.

39 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

I've only caught this segment on YouTube, so perhaps the rest of the show was bad, and that's why no one has posted about it - but this is surely the best women's feud AEW has ever done?

I loved everything about this - although I'm not entirely sure where they go with this. If Deonna was to win the title straight away, there's nothing much else for her to achieve in AEW...simply put, it feels too soon. But having her come in with such hype then lose to Toni doesn't seem quite right either. My guess is Storm wins, only to be confronted by Mercedes Mone - if that does happen, I really hope - win or lose (likely lose) - Toni gets the chance to main event the next AEW PPV against Mercedes. I'd like Storm to have a lengthy reign with the belt but whatever happens, she deserves to main event a PPV at some point. She's absolutely brilliant in this role. 

You don’t shift 15,000 tickets building a show featuring genuine star Sting’s final ever match only to have Toni Storm and Sasha Banks’ Crocodile Tears go on last, unless I’ve misunderstood and you’re meaning Double or Nothing, in which my point is cheerfully withdrawn. 
I’m probably in the minority, but I honestly hope they never bring Mone in. Nowhere near as good as she or her fans think she is

Edited by WyattSheepMask