• Paid Members

I just think Sammy has been eclipsed by other wrestlers who are better at everything he does than he is. There are better smug heels, better weaselly heels, better flippy guys, better underdog babyfaces when they try and cast him in that role. Give it another year or two, and Nick Wayne may well have completely eclipsed him on all fronts. The notion of Sammy, rather than Orange Cassidy, as one of the "four pillars" seems more absurd by the day.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I just think Sammy has been eclipsed by other wrestlers who are better at everything he does than he is. There are better smug heels, better weaselly heels, better flippy guys, better underdog babyfaces when they try and cast him in that role. Give it another year or two, and Nick Wayne may well have completely eclipsed him on all fronts. The notion of Sammy, rather than Orange Cassidy, as one of the "four pillars" seems more absurd by the day.

Orange Cassidy not being one of the four pillars is a bit of a bugbear of mine (an irrational bugbear, because it doesn't really mean anything). He may be AEW's biggest homegrown success story outside of MJF.

• Paid Members

Seeing Sammy back at Daily’s Place was the kicker. The exact same guy, portraying the exact same character, doing the exact same stuff, in the exact same place. It was like the last four years hadn’t happened. He’s got nothing to show for it. He’s been lapped by nearly everyone.

32 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Seeing Sammy back at Daily’s Place was the kicker. The exact same guy, portraying the exact same character, doing the exact same stuff, in the exact same place. It was like the last four years hadn’t happened. He’s got nothing to show for it. He’s been lapped by nearly everyone.

Not just a Sammy problem unfortunately.

42 minutes ago, Lorne Malvo said:

He may be AEW's biggest homegrown success story outside of MJF.

Would Hangman Page count? I know he wrestled for New Japan and had some level of notoriety, but they’ve essentially built who he is.

Edited by RedRooster

2 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

Would Hangman Page count? I know he wrestled for New Japan and had some level of notoriety, but they’ve essentially built who he is.

I'd say yeah. But it might be optics for me. I hadn't heard of him or seen a match of his before AEW so for me they made him the handsome son of Magnum T.A. that he is now.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

That's a good point. I'd say he had more name recognition and following than the other pillars but yeah, I'd still consider him homegrown.

• Paid Members

I actively disliked Adam Page before AEW, and now he's one of my favourites, so he's a success story for them regardless of whether you'd consider him homegrown, as far as I'm concerned.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Lorne Malvo said:

Orange Cassidy not being one of the four pillars is a bit of a bugbear of mine (an irrational bugbear, because it doesn't really mean anything). He may be AEW's biggest homegrown success story outside of MJF.

To be fair, I think that might be because the pillars were always meant to be the young guys who will be the future, rather than just important wrestlers. OC turns 40 this year.

11 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I actively disliked Adam Page before AEW, and now he's one of my favourites, so he's a success story for them regardless of whether you'd consider him homegrown, as far as I'm concerned.

Yeah I think Ol Hanger's transformation from at best a vanilla, boring midcarder to one of their most popular main eventers gets understated as one of AEWs biggest hits.

1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

Ricky Starks is a better version of Sammy, and he's in the same company.

Also, I dunno if this has affected the responses from the crowd, but I saw him bring his girlfriend up into the ring to propose to her in front of a live TV audience, and then 6 months later he's swopped her out for a blonde, and even in the world of pro wrestling that made me dislike the person behind the gimmick. 

Edit: and it seemed to entirely fuck Tay Melo's career as well!

Edited by Loki

2 minutes ago, Loki said:

Also, I dunno if this has affected the responses from the crowd, but I saw him bring his girlfriend up into the ring to propose to her in front of a live TV audience, and then 6 months later he's swopped her out for a blonde, and even in the world of pro wrestling that made me dislike the person behind the gimmick. 

Can't speak for everyone but it's definitely the first thing that came to mind when I thought about when things started going against him. It definitely made me think he was a twat and I've not changed my mind since really.

Sammy getting a new missus shouldn't be a judge on his in-ring work (he's just had a child and married Tay Conti too so just painting her as blonde replacement feels shite to portray her as), wouldn't take my fiancé and propose for his vlog though, especially live to a crowd, especially to a wrestling crowd too. That'll mark your card.

I'll tell ya why I don't think he works out much and it's already been said. He really does have a ceiling as Jericho's little gobshite mate. The wee lad with the bullies, and his absolutely wonderfully smackable face. But everything about him just doesn't seem to say anything next level. There isn't the appeal of Darby, or looks of Perry or being something unique in Orange Cassidy. He's just the main lackey goon mashed with a social media influencer. I don't see why or what you'd do more, as it goes, not everyone needs to be the big star and Sammy was phenomenal in that role. Just where do you go?

Edited by Chili

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, LaGoosh said:

I think fundamentally he just looks like a little twat. And not in a good wrestling heel way. More like a gobby 12 year year old you just want to punch in the face. 

But with a beard...