• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, Shy Dad said:

Pretty sure LFI had a somewhat face turn recently, regarding Vance, and that Rush isn't really either, just a vicious bastard.

They returned as babyfaces for sure. Rush also worked the Continental Classic as a babyface.

5 hours ago, JLM said:

Do not care about Bill and Starks vs Le Sex Pest at all. I am so cold on Sammy Guevara right now.

I feel a bit sorry for Sammy. He's basically AEW's Big Show at this point, in terms of how many times he's turned and how damaging that has been. They nailed his early year(s) in AEW, but once The Inner Circle split up, he just hasn't found a direction that even comes close to working. 

38 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Also just nice to see a unique venue on TV rather than the same identical arena's every week. I wish they went to more venues like this just to mix up the visuals.

That's something I really liked about the early days of AEW. You had Dailly's Place, the Jericho Cruise and venues of varying sizes - unique venues that ended up giving each show a somewhat unique feel.

Echoing the sentiment.

An AEW original, their biggest rising star, and their plucky young pit dog all stepping up to the champ in Daily's Place was the most optimistic and forward foot this promotion's felt since before Punk came in. Absolutely fantastic. When it's good, it's great (Supremo™) but it never fails to amaze me how easy it can/should be to be great. Just give us logical, pecking order pro wrestling television. No alarms and no surprises. 

Swerve stood on the ramp in his giant fur coat doing that weird sultry-aggro look he does with a load of meatheads behind him and Nana doing the dance. What a visual. 

Happy days are here again. 

• Paid Members

A few brief thoughts on what I thought was a really fun show.

- I've never clicked with the Toni Storm thing. Didn't hate it but never enjoyed it, but being Mariah May's posh mum is amazing. "Did you do an arm drag" and "here have a chocolate" while Mariah looks annoyed but still eats the chocolate was both funny and oddly triggering about my own childhood.

- Undisputed Kingdom has stalled already

- the whol bang band scissor gang feels both stupid and entirely out of nowhere. Here's hoping it leads to a double turn of the gunns being kicked out of the bullet club gold with Daddy Ass and the Acclaimed taking their spot, because they're massively spinning wheels at the moment.

- Bucks V Sting and Darby feels really weird but will probably mean it's a really good match, so I can dig it. Hoping that Bucks do Sting opponent spots through the years.

- Joe talking about bringing your record to the committee feels like what TK was talking about after the CC, and the promos with Swerve and Hanger was fantastic. 

- What was better though was the HOOK signal and his confrontation with Joe. He felt like Goldberg and it's a shame he's going to lose, although obviously he needs to. Your turn to make a superstar Joe. Let's see what you got.

• Paid Members
32 minutes ago, Duke said:

Your turn to make a superstar Joe. Let's see what you got.

I think he'll be absolutely fine.

One of my favourite matches of the 21st Century to date has been Joe vs Aries from Final Battle 2004 - going into the match we the smart fans all "knew" that Joe was going to retain the title fairly obviously en route to either (a) an inevitable next match with Punk where our Phil would finally get the title or (b) making the 2 year mark with the belt. However during the course of the match through various subtle mannerisms or Aries having counters for well-established Joe spots, and a fantastic story told around Aries trying and failing to get Joe up for the brainbuster, you gradually realised you were watching a proper title fight and Joe was in a shade of jeopardy. The counter of the Muscle Buster to the crucifix bomb and how Joe sold the last boot to the face was superb, and when Aries finally gets Joe overhead for the brainbuster.... you buy, immediately, in spite of what you thought you knew, that Aries is beating him. There's a feeling watching (and visible from the live crowd) when Aries is climbing the ropes for the 450 that it's just a cherry on the icing on the cake, he's WINNING the belt, and the three count is academic. The crowd go mental, and from purely the excellent storytelling from bell to bell, they totally accept Austin Aries as their new World Champion even though they didn't give him a chance before the match. It was stunning.

Pop 19 years of experience onto that Joe. He'll be fine. He'll give Hook a lot and make everyone think he's got a chance, then he'll beat him.

• Paid Members

God yeah completely forgot about the Undisputed Kingdom promo, was a lot of nothing. World title segment and Joe’s criteria for challengers makes Wardlow look like an even bigger dumb-dumb. 

Hook does one short video, presents his excellent win/loss record, walks up to the champ and has a title shot booked for the following week. 

Wardlow remains on the Adam Cole/Underpants stealing gnomes model of title shot acquisition. Currently on the ????? phase, profit is sure to follow. Cole should tell Wardlow they’re all dressing as clowns for the next phase of his plan as they’re moving on to a Joker aesthetic, but really it’s only Wardlow he says that to and they just wanna see if he’ll do it. 

Bullet Club Pink would be better than Bang Bang Scissor Gang. Same logo in different colours, sell the same t shirt over and over again. As someone who wanted an NWO Wolfpac shirt so badly for a bit in the late 90s I can confirm it works. The super faction feels like a step down for Jay White and the boys but The Acclaimed definitely need some kind of shot in the arm. As a stopgap while Juice is out I will give it a chance but it needs to be temporary. 

• Paid Members

Main event was bonkers - there were points I was convinced (and largely still am) that Sting was seriously messed up during that match, and then he goes and does a blind back bump off the bleachers through a table. Sting's AEW run is one of the maddest veteran runs anyone has had anywhere, and I'll be sad when it's over.

The Young Bucks aren't somebody I'd considered at all for his last match, so I'm curious what that ends up looking like. The Bucks' new look is great heel vibes, but the rumoured new "killing the business" gimmick has the potential to be absolutely awful, so I'm hoping they bring something genuinely new to the table; the biggest problem with them for me is that they haven't meaningfully changed up their act in at least a decade, and I want to see something new and different from them.

My hunch is that the Young Bucks probably weren't the original plan. My hunch is that it would have been Golden Jets winning the tag belts from Starks & Bill at World's End, the eight-man of Golden Jets & Sting & Darby vs. Callis Family & Starks & Big Bill happening at Daily's Place rather than the equivalent match we got at World's End, then segueing into Golden Jets vs. Sting & Darby at Revolution, and the Bucks would have returned to challenge the Jets after that match.

• Paid Members
25 minutes ago, JLM said:

As someone who wanted an NWO Wolfpac shirt so badly for a bit in the late 90s I can confirm it works.

You know what? I had the red and black one and later I really wanted the black and silver one, not because the group or TV were any good but because I liked the way it looked. So yes, it works.

• Paid Members

Joe should have a good TV run of title defenses similar to his X-division stuff where he just throws around floppy guys and is the best Joe possible. Give him a few big wins in PPV, but just let him maul small guys on TV. Where's Marko Stunt when you need him? 

Joe is the just the best. 

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Nick James said:

Joe should have a good TV run of title defenses similar to his X-division stuff where he just throws around floppy guys and is the best Joe possible.

You're not wrong. When I was going on about the halcyon days of 05-06 over in the TNA thread, I thought about Joe a lot and how he was used fantastically, rather than as "not THAT big a guy" in the heavyweight ranks but as "a big guy" in the X division, with those initial two sprints with Sabin and Sonjay then most famously the incredible 3way with AJ and Chris Daniels at Unbreakable, before he eventually won the belt. Some of the best stuff going at the time.

1 hour ago, air_raid said:

You're not wrong. When I was going on about the halcyon days of 05-06 over in the TNA thread, I thought about Joe a lot and how he was used fantastically, rather than as "not THAT big a guy" in the heavyweight ranks but as "a big guy" in the X division, with those initial two sprints with Sabin and Sonjay then most famously the incredible 3way with AJ and Chris Daniels at Unbreakable, before he eventually won the belt. Some of the best stuff going at the time.

What's nice is in the modern era, he IS now the "big guy" even in the heavyweight division.  I was watching a bit of his match with Lesnar, and he doesn't look out of place at ALL against Lesnar.  In TNA he was in the ring with Nash, Abyss, Kip James, Sting - all tall guys.  In AEW he's in there with MJF, or Adam Cole, or even Hangman or Omega, Joe looks like Vader.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, BomberPat said:

The Young Bucks aren't somebody I'd considered at all for his last match, so I'm curious what that ends up looking like

I think they're probably the best option. They'll bump their arses like crazy for everything Sting goes, the fans love to boo them, they'll lose nothing in defeat, they are the best in the business at putting together big epic tag matches, Darby and Nick will do some insane shit and they're safe to work with. Their interactions in that 6 man tag at Forbidden Door 1 were pretty great.