2 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

At least it's not Ric Flair.

yet.  I love the idea of his last opponents being The Bucks, but I guarantee Flair is going to turn on Sting/Darby and manage The Bucks for the final run-in.

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, Loki said:

I guarantee Flair is going to turn on Sting

Balls of steel with that one. Might as well wheel Lex out too and go all the way.

Short of Sting wrestling a singles match - which presumably he doesn't feel able to do at this stage - I'm not sure who else you would pit him against. It might have been fun to see him wrestle the BCC, to see him in the ring against Danielson and Moxley, but I don't feel particularly strongly about that, or any tag team opponent really. Matt Jackson as a heel, I thought, was a good promo and I'm sure he'll be able to make this feel like a big deal. Plus, watching Darby against Matt and Nick should be a lot of fun - is this the first time they've wrestled? 

The more I think about it, the more I warm to the idea. 

I know Darby has been getting some love for his bumps, but here's some shine on Old Man Sting.

The table spot had me worried. I was expecting hidden crash mats, and even if there had been they almost missed the tables entirely. He long ago defied the expectations people had when he signed. Its still mad to see him go out with the run he has had.

When news came out he didn't think he could do a singles match anymore, it was either FTR or Young Bucks as the final opponents for me. Give Sting & Darby a tag run and FTR could get their win back. Which hasn't happened. Leaving the Bucks as the perfect arrogant pricks to bump around for Sting and come up with inventive spots for Darby. They can take the loss and not really suffer. The idea of any rub from Sting's match going to Darby.

My only worry based on last night is that its quite a while until Revolution. If you remember the build to FTR/Bucks at All In what little there was amounted to staring at each other. Since that's step one of this feud. Hopefully the change it up a bit (please no Ric Flair). Could always do a match before Revolution that leads to a gimmick match at the PPV.

Edited by Infinity Land

• Paid Members

I’m amazed so many are shocked that Sting’s final match is with The Bucks. That’s felt like the match for ages. It’s perfect in every single way. Arguably the best Tag Team of all time, Kings of the Carry Job (look at the miracles they’ve had with the Hardy Boys in recent years), two nutters who can go bonkers with Darby for the majority of the match, and then bump like maniacs for Sting’s big comeback. To this day, one of the best moments of Sting’s comeback was him no-selling the Superkicks at Forbidden Door. I saw someone on Twitter suggest they should go one better and have Sting no-sell an, “I’m sorry…I love you,” Superkick at Revolution. Fuck’s sake. One of those ideas so good that I’m going to be crushed if they don’t do it.

I’m still of the opinion it should be for the Tag Titles though. That would be the perfect send-off for Sting, winning the belts with Darby on his last night, allowing Tony to do another tournament afterwards, hopefully reigniting the Tag Division. Maybe another Continental Classic? No, it isn’t too soon for another.

I’m still getting a whiff of Jericho though. I’ve got one eye firmly placed on that Battle of the Belts match on Saturday. It would be the most Jericho thing ever to latch on to Sting’s retirement by becoming the Tag Champs with Sammy and then turning the Revolution match into a three-way tag for the belts. Have you seen the amount of tickets sold for Revolution? No way something that hot happens in this company without the Wetherspoons Dementor sucking the life out of it. I guess it would take things full circle. Sting’s been doing the New Jack dives from the balcony. Might as well incorporate Jericho’s New Jack gimmick of having his music blaring over everything to hide the boos.

Anyway, this week’s show fucking ruled. Two for two this year. We’re back.

Big fan of everyone showing off the new clothes they got for Christmas. Between Samoa Joe’s suit, Swerve Strickland’s coat and then Hangman Adam Page’s ‘tash? I’ve never seen three bigger stars. The Triforce of cool motherfuckers.

Edited by Supremo

Only watched the opener so far, but Daily's looks fantastic with the new production set up.

I'll echo what's been said earlier, I'd love AEW to find more unique venues and set ups rather than the same identikit arenas every week.

Of course going back to Daily's meant the return of Everton Shirt Knob head, but every silver lining and all that.

I swear Chris Jericho's greatest contribution to this forum might be becoming our equivalent of a Red Dwarf middle run monster of the week. The Wetherspoons Dementor has never sounded more like a villain for Dave Lister to go out there and twat it. Absolutely died at that description.

Edited by Chili

• Paid Members

Really pleasantly surprised by how comfortable Hook looked squaring up to Joe, like he belonged in there with the champ. I got that tingly 'fucking hell, this could be great' feeling when they went nose to nose.

Sting is retiring at the right time as I reckon if he hangs around with Darby much longer he'll end up diving off the Dailys Place roof. Madman.

I feel sorry for Sammy Guevara. Remember the early days when Omega was running him over in a golf cart? He was the perfect sidekick/job guy for Inner Circle. As Rooster said, they have Big Show'ed him too much and now there's no interest left in him at all. He probably should've just slotted back into the Don Callis family.

Thunder Rosa still looks cool as fuck. And I usually can't be doing with Stokeley but he's finally winning me over with his lusting over Kris Statlander (relatable!) I really hope they put some more focus on the womens division this year as just looking at that 8-women tag, there's so much potential there.

Really good start to the year for AEW.

Edited by Lorne Malvo

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, Lorne Malvo said:

I feel sorry for Sammy Guevara. Remember the early days when Omega was running him over in a golf cart? He was the perfect sidekick/job guy for Inner Circle. As Rooster said, they have Big Show'ed him too much and now there's no interest left in him at all. He probably should've just slotted back into the Don Callis family.

I don't really think the flip flopping with Sammy has really hurt him too much. He doesn't really have the character range so there's barely any difference whether he's heel or face. His recent heel run was so short it never even got going and he also turned heel on Chris Jericho who everyone hates so no one bought into it anyway.

Sammy has the problem that some wrestlers have sometimes where they are so good at a certain role it's almost a negative because they can't do anything else. Sammy's natural and perfect slot is as the sidekick to a top star. He's very good at it. Unfortunately when you're good at one thing you naturally get over and out grow it but then the problem is Sammy isn't good enough to be anything else. He's probably one of the worst singles guys they have. So once you've outgrown the only thing you were good at you're pretty much fucked really. Wardlow has the same issue - perfect as a bodyguard but not really good enough to be anything else. Now he's back being a bodyguard and it feels like a massive demotion.

Edited by LaGoosh

First Dynamite in forever I really enjoyed. 

Great to see so many faces from 2019/2020 making an appearance and for logical upwards movement for the likes of Hangman, Swerve, Anna Jay and Hook. 

Only negatives were Jericho & Sammy. I don't ever need to see either on TV again. And the Undisputed Kingdom is utter crap. 

• Paid Members

I think it's Sammy Guevera's face. Hear me out*. 

He has a smug thing that works for him, and obviously has the in-ring thing down too, but something about him doesn't click in terms of possibly ascending to main event status (RIP NGP). He seemingly has all the tools but there is a missing piece of the puzzle. 

I felt the same way about Jay White in New Japan at some stage. Then he grew a beard and things started to click. I don't know if Sammy can grow a beard, but maybe he should.

tZMaDB5.thumb.jpg.1dabdaae4468f69ee453bd438c52332d.jpg

He could go full beard Sammy:

Sammy1.thumb.jpg.10c702c234374f0704e6645b49583d1f.jpg

Or Mirror Universe Sammy:

Sammy2.thumb.jpg.8f09a886f4412a7140a50ad5ecb18a3c.jpg

Or Maybe he goes full Riker (although he's a pair of sunglasses for a Mini Dijak there I appreciate):

Sammy3.thumb.jpg.807ddce10e973f1740940d840ccdae04.jpg

Anyway, get that man off TV til he grows a beard. 

*This may not be a wholly serious point. And yes, I'm bored at work.