A Hook v Cristian build could be a lot of fun…they’d have to tease dad Taz getting involved in some kind of stare down (up) between Cristian & Taz. Does Taz still have the ability to put in a choke hold, or is he completely out of action?

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, TobyK said:

A Hook v Cristian build could be a lot of fun…they’d have to tease dad Taz getting involved in some kind of stare down (up) between Cristian & Taz. Does Taz still have the ability to put in a choke hold, or is he completely out of action?

He put the Tazmission on Cody a few years back so I can't see why not, I always get the impression Taz doesn't really want to get involved in Hook storylines though.

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

unless I missed it, commentary didn’t confirm that it’s definitely Sting & Darby vs The Bucks.

Correct. And also in the video package Darby said him and Sting wanted to be tag champs and they showed Ricky Starks & Large William so it's definitely still up in the air. I hope they just go with a simple Darby/Sting vs Bucks tag though don't the Bucks still have a tag title shot in their pockets? Bucks could win the titles before Revolution and then Sting/Darby can go out on top as tag champs.

Whatever happens I hope Jericho isn't involved. His segment was terrible and with a roster this stacked Matt Sydal should never be doing promos ever. Probably the most unnatural promo guy in history.

Just rewatched Joe V Hook. Just brilliant TV wrestling. Joe as champion is one of the best things AEW has done. Letting him be a destroyer as well while holding the belt reminded me why I loved him back in the day in ROH. Just superb. Props to the commentary on the match as well. Taz was fantastic.

2 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Correct. And also in the video package Darby said him and Sting wanted to be tag champs and they showed Ricky Starks & Large William so it's definitely still up in the air. I hope they just go with a simple Darby/Sting vs Bucks tag though don't the Bucks still have a tag title shot in their pockets? Bucks could win the titles before Revolution and then Sting/Darby can go out on top as tag champs.

Whatever happens I hope Jericho isn't involved. His segment was terrible and with a roster this stacked Matt Sydal should never be doing promos ever. Probably the most unnatural promo guy in history.

Bucks lost their tag title shot to the Golden Jets 🤮. Which then transferred to the Jericho & Sammy's and became the Battle of the Belts title shot. Fingers crossed.

Sting and Darby going for the tag titles seems a little late in the day. They could have really milked that run.

• Paid Members

Cracking opener for the TNT title. Personally could have done without Dustin kicking out of the Killswitch when they'd already done multiple interferences and twists. Also could have done without the Canadian Destroyer, especially when Penta did one in the next match. Chris Sabin's destroyer on Vikingo at Hard to Kill has rendered all other attempts in 2024 redundant. I will slightly roll my eyes at all of them going forward. Still, proper heel vs babyface match between two seasoned veterans. Christian does not need to work as hard as this but I salute him for it, no superlatives left for this run.  

Penta/Komander vs OC/Beretta was a fun TV match. Slightly intrigued by Trent gradually becoming more of a dick over the past few weeks. Roddy and OC is going to be tremendous. 

Good promos from Swerve and Hangman. The mustache really is glorious. I know that's the American spelling but it's a god fearin'  gun totin' American mustache, so I will forego the O. Swerve seems to gradually be adding more eye make up each week. I like it, makes him look more dangerous and like he quite literally is not resting until he's at the top with the title. 

The Jay Briscoe tribute was just lovely. I also shed a little tear, as @Duke said, It was  when Mark said "HOWEVER!" before Jay's daughter walked out for me. Wild that it's been a year. The video was beautiful. 

Nick Jackson's heel outfit makes him look like suuuuuch a prick. My god, I fucking love it. 

Mogul Embassy's gear for the trios match was snazzy as hell. I hope that theme Jay and the Gunns used wasn't a new Gunns theme or a new Jay White theme. I didn't think it was as good as either of their existing ones. I know everyone hates the ROH trios titles but I love the Mogul boys so I was looking forward to this and I was not disappointed, really enjoyed this match. I thought Colten Gunn and my man Toa in particular looked great in it. Trios titles should be a recipe for bangers but they've endured some nonsense with the stupid HOB House Rules matches, the belt saturation with two sets of them floating around and The Acclaimed and Daddy Ass not being the right trio to deliver said bangers... Slap the titles together and let the belting matches roll please. 

Great update from Wardlow the dumbest man alive this week. "BOOM" heheheh I say word like Adam song song heheh I watch Hook challenge world belt now hehehehe BOOOOOM. 

Purazzo/Anna Jay was better than Purazzo's Collison match. Have to feel for Anna Jay. Goes in against Julia with an injured arm, gets it worked on for the whole match, taps out to an arm based submission. Next up, Deonna Purazzo, arm torture enthusiast; she even had to shake her hand after the match with the re-re-reinjured arm. Guessing she'll face Danielson next week to finish the job. 

I still think they should turn Purazzo heel either before she faces Storm or during that match. Toni Storm is far too much fun for anyone to be cheered against her. The post-match cut to her stroking Riccaboni's hair was perfect. I've said before the heel move against her is to refuse to buy into the "Timeless" character. They hinted at it a bit here and I hope they take it further. Have Deonna get increasingly sick of the shenanigans over the next few weeks and eventually snap. Would like to see Toni doing one of her black and white interview segments and Deonna attacks her and it suddenly cuts back to colour during the attack. Would be great heat for Purazzo, and her submission-based style is more suited to a heel character anyway.

Top Flight vs Private Party was fine. Just fine. 

Hook vs Joe was magic. I was excited about the prospect of this from the start but man, they knocked it out of the park. Joe's strut coming down the aisle set the tone. Then the visual of Hook in his corner with his signature back turn, and Joe looking like Goliath himself in the opposite with a title over his shoulder that fits him so perfectly,  staring a hole through the young upstart. Glorious. 

Loved everything about this. The urgency in Hook, throwing himself at Joe with Darby Allin-esque reckless abandon, refusing to die. I even liked the kick out at 1 on the muscle buster, against my better judgment as I've been moaning lately about people kicking out of finishers/near fall fatigue. Here though it felt right to me. It was Hook's final adrenaline dump. The whole point of this match is that he is calling his shot, it's the fight of his career, he has nothing to lose. If he's ever going to do something implausibly superhuman now is the time to do it. I love that during this temporary  power up was the only time he managed to get a suplex on Joe too. He was still fairly comfortably dispatched moments later, he just got an amazing last hurrah out of it.

Taz was wonderful on commentary "No matter how this ends Hook will not regret anything" "Hook DON'T DO THAT" and indeed when he briefly decided to not be on commentary, which I also loved. This was high drama, absolutely huge for Hook and yet still a convincing and dominant win for Joe. This was Hook going way beyond his limits and he still didn't *really* stand a chance. All hail King Joe, one of the greatest to ever do it, looking every bit the part as the face of the promotion and elevating new stars in the process. 

The show as a whole wasn't up to the first two Dynamites of the year but they reeeallly stuck the landing on that main event. 

Edited by JLM

• Paid Members

Sometimes, because I’m a spoilt brat, I sit there watching all this great wrestling and start to get a bit bored or mind wanders on to other things. We’ve never had so much good stuff to watch at our fingertips and occasionally I’ll think I should grow up and watch the news or something

But then matches like Joe vs Hook come along and I’m reminded I FUCKING LOVE THIS STUFF!! I was completely and utterly lost in it. The house could have burnt down around me and I wouldn’t have known. For ten minutes I was Hook. I was Taz. I was there. It was perfection. Joe might be the GOAT, and as much as I loved seeing him in a poncho I am so pleased he’s had this renaissance. Watch this match!!

I don't want to hear any more talk about who should be holding the title later in the year, and that it's Swerve's time, and all that.

We have, inexplicably, the best version of Samoa Joe there's ever been, at a point when AEW really needs a veteran at the top to steady a wobbly ship.  He's probably in the last few years of his career (although we've been saying that for a while!) so imo 2024 is Joe's year.  Nobody deserves it more, nobody has stepped up in a more professional manner than he has since joining AEW, toiling away for the failed ROH project, making himself inevitable and undeniable as AEW champ.

For as long as he can do this at this level, let him be the champ.  Anyone who gets in the ring with him at the moment is going to look good even in a loss.  Hangman, Swerve, Darby, MJF - they all have plenty of years left and will be the top guys in AEW or WWE.  

But right now?  Let Joe be Joe.

I've watched ever episode of aew tv and ppvs the last 3 years I haven't watched aew since the world's end ppv I'm glad Joe won the world title and I'm a fan of his work the last 20 odd years  I've been meaning to get back in to aew ..how is aew been since Joe as champ

• Paid Members
On 1/18/2024 at 5:10 PM, LaGoosh said:

Obvious highlight being this man looking more beautiful than ever:

Screenshot_20240118_121938_Chrome.thumb.jpg.cec54bb179cc1e4b0b7bfd39e9d29dc3.jpg

What a man. Push him to the moon.

Magnum AP. He's going to call for an I Quit match with Swerve and he's going for that eye.