With recent reports about being turned down by WWE for wanting a sky high contract would TK actually splash out and make Mone one of the highest paid in the company? It's never felt like he's given that much of a shit about the women's division.

14 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

You don’t shift 15,000 tickets building a show featuring genuine star Sting’s final ever match only to have Toni Storm and Sasha Banks’ Crocodile Tears go on last, unless I’ve misunderstood and you’re meaning Double or Nothing, in which my point is cheerfully withdrawn. 

You've misunderstood - I mean the PPV following Revolution (or A PPV that follows Revolution) - it would be mad to main event with anything other than Sting's final match; although I wouldn't be completely shocked to see them do that - with Sting insisting that the World title match should go on last, much as Flair did with his match against Michaels. 

40 minutes ago, Chili said:

Maybe people haven't finished watching it yet or are busy with stuff.

Maybe so, but if a show is good/hot, we typically see people posting their thoughts very early on. This is happening less with AEW programming these days. It doesn't necessarily mean the shows are bad, but it perhaps does point to a lack of talking points, or that people aren't feeling enthused enough about the programming to want to talk about it right away. Again, it doesn't mean it's bad...but they maybe need to find that next red hot storyline. 

Some iffy moments (HOOK ain't great on the mic) aside, another good episode. Swerve vs Hardy had no right to be that good - Jeff's best match in probably years and years, despite his obvious slowness. Hangman vs Penta was great, although suffered a bit because it seemed like the crowd took a while to heat up over the course of the show. Wardlow vs Trent was...eh. I just don't care about Wardlow anymore. Rosa vs Cake Lady was fine. Again, I didn't really care, so that impacted my enjoyment. Acclaimed vs Mogul Embassy was alright, but Acclaimed need to heat up a little bit as they have obviously cooled off a lot from their height. Copeland vs Suzuki was awesome.

For me, there hasn't been a Dynamite thus far in 2024 that hasn't been at least good. Excellent stuff going on. To your point, @RedRooster, I just happened to be wfh today, so I was able to watch from like 9am, but so far during 2024 I've not been able to watch any AEW shows the next morning (as I normally would) just because of work commitments and stuff. I'd personally disagree they they "need to find the next hot angle". What they need to do is be consistent, which they have been for a while now. That doesn't mean don't try and find that next hot angle, but the last thing they need to do is sacrifice consistency in the name of finding it because they want "buzz". They're building nicely to Revolution.

Edited by 69MeDon

A part of me thought they might wheel out Mone as a "fuck you, she's not turning up to the Rumble!" type deal. Just because I can imagine TK absolutely loving that.

I feel pretty cold about her wherever she goes though. While I've enjoyed her work now and again she's never been must-see for me.

• Paid Members
29 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

With recent reports about being turned down by WWE for wanting a sky high contract would TK actually splash out and make Mone one of the highest paid in the company? It's never felt like he's given that much of a shit about the women's division.

The phrasing of Meltzer's updates (which is where we learn about what she was asking from WWE) is that AEW "expect" to debut her on TV soon. So it sounds more like that they're waiting on her to sign, not that they're not interested. They're clearly interested. She'd get eyes on the product. Mind you, that was 2 weeks ago, and to steal a line, plans change.

Further phrasing used is that she was asking for "Charlotte money." I'd be more than happy with WWE paying her with Charlotte's money so she can fuck off, I'm sick of her and I sense I'm not the only one. But I know that's VERY wishful thinking.

• Paid Members

I've just realised that Bucks vs Sting and Derby has the opportunity for the Bucks to do stereo "I'm sorry, I love you" superkicks only for sting to no sell it and beat his chest. 

Late to the party I know, but now I'll be so sad if that doesn't happen 

Edit: can I also just confirm that Toni Storm said "I'll twist your lips so hard you'll need an epidural"? Because if so Eastwood.gif.

Edited by Duke

39 minutes ago, 69MeDon said:

I'd personally disagree they they "need to find the next hot angle". What they need to do is be consistent, which they have been for a while now. That doesn't mean don't try and find that next hot angle, but the last thing they need to do is sacrifice consistency in the name of finding it because they want "buzz". They're building nicely to Revolution.

That's slightly different from what I said - I said 'next hot storyline' - it's a small difference, but it's a significant one. Hangman/Omega was slow-building, but incredibly compelling, and we all wanted to talk about even the smallest of developments. While there were key moments, it's probably fair to say there wasn't one 'hot angle' - just a well told story. And AEW was full of them at that time - Brodie Lee's treatment of the Dark Order, Miro's descent into religious fanaticism, MJF 'befriending' Chris Jericho.

It was just good storytelling that we all wanted to pick apart and talk about. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Duke said:

Edit: can I also just confirm that Toni Storm said "I'll twist your lips so hard you'll need an epidural"? Because if so Eastwood.gif.

Nothing would shock me. She said tits in a backstage promo too, didn't she? Harlot. You can take the girl out of Australia....

Yes, I'm aware she's a Kiwi by birth. Don't play pedantry with me, I'll win.

• Paid Members

Another decent show. Nothing mind blowing but just solid, consistent stuff which is a very welcome change from the insane constant hit and miss routine of the past two years. I thought the Toni/Deonna segment was the highlight of the show with the matching tattoo's being a genuinely shocking reveal and great storytelling - they are telling this story very well so far. Copeland vs Suzuki was fun, it's cool seeing Copeland completely out of his WWE comfort zone and wrestling different styles of matches. There's still these minor production niggles that just drive me crazy (shots lingering too long at the end of segments, random shots of stage lighting etc.) but they are small complaints. And there's definitely wrestlers I would like to see less of or used in a different way but overall there's nothing offensively bad going on. If it takes a few months of simple, solid TV for the company to get back on both feet again before pushing the boat out then I'm fine with that.

First time I've properly noticed the low crowd's taking away from the show this week.

Joe's promo segment at the start literally felt like I was back in TNA at the sound stage, it was just obvious when the crowd reacted there wasn't many people there. They were also so quiet during most the matches.

It was a decent enough show, not as good as the last few weeks but good, but the crowd thing is definitely an issue now.

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, Doog said:

First time I've properly noticed the low crowd's taking away from the show this week.

Joe's promo segment at the start literally felt like I was back in TNA at the sound stage, it was just obvious when the crowd reacted there wasn't many people there. They were also so quiet during most the matches.

It was a decent enough show, not as good as the last few weeks but good, but the crowd thing is definitely an issue now.

2000 people in a 10,000 seat arena. Madness. Just sell out a 2000 seat venue!

• Paid Members

The entire vibe of the promotion right now feels like a throwback to those crazy Pandemic days.

Hangman Adam Page as the main character, valiantly battling his way to the World Title. The Young Bucks being preposterous dickhead heels. Basic, solid booking. And about seven people in the audience, where you can hear a pin drop.

I don't pay too much attention to attendances etc, but is there an obvious reason why their crowds are so shit?

Buildings too big? Running the same areas too often?

They're putting on some really fucking good shows so I'm curious as to why they're struggling in that department.