FLips' Sega MegaDrive Thread

FLips

9 minutes ago, Loki said:

Most CommoBores I knew went straight to Amigas @King Coconut.  NintenDicks tended to be people whose parents travelled to Japan and brought those consoles back.

I think - and it's a while ago now - I went from a C64 to a GameBoy. My dad's best friend was American and he brought it back from there. We used to have a pretty decent local video game shop too. Vague recollection of it being region free but might have that mixed up.

• Paid Members
On 1/1/2024 at 6:52 PM, SuperBacon said:

Who had the Mega CD? To me, this was the pinnacle of wealth, along with a Atari Jaguar and a Neo Geo. If you had either of the latter two...my word. You were mega rich.

I had, and still have, thr Multimega, which was the Megadrive with the Mega CD on the front of it in a single unit. It came with two six-button controllers. I ended up needing it after I flew into such a rage during a game of Street Fighter 2 I threw my Megadrive 2 at the wall and it broke. 

I remember playing Eternal Champions at a friend's house, but I think I may also have rented it from the corner shop a few times. It was very challenging, and I see now it's through a combination of the input reading AIs, and some very poor balancing, to the level of the Street Fighter arcade AIs. 

• Paid Members

I has a ZX81 before I had a Spectrum. I remember getting it for Christmas. I also remember that at the same time I got a whitlow in the thumb of my left hand which caused it to swell up like a motherfucker, and hurt twice as much. I had to have my thumbnail removed to release the pressure and even now all these years later my left thumb is slightly smaller and the nail is different to all the rest. The ZX81 in no way eased any of the pain, even with a 16k add on pack and a proper keyboard added over the top of the original. 

• Paid Members

God, my gaming.machine history:

Pong

Amstrad 464+

Master system 1

Mega Drive

PS 1 - 3

Xbox 

Ps 4

Switch

Ps5

I loved my Mega Drive. Kid Chameleon was a favourite of mine, but the family loved to play mega bomberman on multiplayer. 

But my top game was Buck Rogers. Loved a bit of turn based rpg.

• Paid Members

My home cumputing/console history was one of those grandstand things with the paddle controllers you hooked to the TV to play Pong, then a Spectrum (I played a LOT of Action Biker with Clumsy Colin), then a Commodore +4 (Kikstart, Treasure Island, some Defender clone whose name escapes me, and a Commando/Ikari Warriors clone called Army Days). From there I went onto a C64 (too many games to mention), and an Amiga, then the Megadrive (Super Street Fighter 2, Streets Of Rage 2, Golden Axe, Alien Storm) /Multimega (Road Avenger) /32X (the best version of Virtua Racing until the Switch port by M2 came out), with a brief diversion into the Atari 2600. 

18 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

We had the console history thread last year. I've read all these stories before lads!

Hear hear. Pet peeve of mine on here is having to read the same thing time and again. 

Not to hijack your thread @FelatioLips, but I revisited Sonic 3 & Knuckles this morning, and I really do believe the Mega Drive PAL version is the best way to play this game. Sure, you miss out on 60FPS, but I don’t think that makes the game worse - quite the opposite, actually. It allows you to explore and appreciate the levels more as you’re far less likely to speed through each stage. It’s still possible, but I find that it leaves me exploring and experiencing different elements far more than I do in 60FPS Sonic games. And that sound track…Lava Reef Zone act 1 is an absolute banger, as is the boss music. The fight with Metal Sonic as Knuckles is just as exhilarating now as it was back in the day. It’s one hell of a game. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, RedRooster said:

Not to hijack your thread @FelatioLips, but I revisited Sonic 3 & Knuckles this morning, and I really do believe the Mega Drive PAL version is the best way to play this game. Sure, you miss out on 60FPS, but I don’t think that makes the game worse - quite the opposite, actually. It allows you to explore and appreciate the levels more as you’re far less likely to speed through each stage. It’s still possible, but I find that it leaves me exploring and experiencing different elements far more than I do in 60FPS Sonic games. And that sound track…Lava Reef Zone act 1 is an absolute banger, as is the boss music. The fight with Metal Sonic as Knuckles is just as exhilarating now as it was back in the day. It’s one hell of a game. 

Hijack away. This is for general MegaDrive discussion not just me blathering on once a week!

• Paid Members

For me the MegaDrive was the US sports games console.  The EA games always seemed to be more MD friendly, with NHL 95 being glued in for months at a time.  Jordan Vs Bird had an annoying crash glitch though :(

Spoiler

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Not just American but Australian! This came out late in the console's life and only in a couple of markets but I found a copy at the local market, I must have traded something in for it but no idea what. It was actually pretty fun and had some English and International teams in it too.

It has HARD MEN!

spacer.png

Edited by Merzbow

22 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Not just American but Australian! This came out late in the console's life and only in a couple of markets but I found a copy at the local market, I must have traded something in for it but no idea what. It was actually pretty fun and had some English and International teams in it too.

It has HARD MEN!

spacer.png

I think someone on the estate had this. I am almost certain I had a rugby game, and looking it up, it must've been Rugby World Cup 95 on the MD. I remember it being really difficult.

My mates always had the NHL and Madden games but this was always the pinnacle of U.S sports games to me. Always played as Charlotte Hornets because I thought tiny Muggsy Bogues was cool as fuck as he was so short and fast. 

spacer.png