FLips' Sega MegaDrive Thread

FLips

• Paid Members

Half Pipe was tough as balls, I don't think I ever got the hang of that - BMX was tough, but at least it had some brutal animations when you fucked up. I don't think I ever managed to do anything but bob serenely along in Surfing, either.

It was all about Foot Sack and Skating for me, I got really good at the former, and got some decent runs in on the latter; it was the most conventionally video game-y of all the games in it, which helped.

I actually played the Master System version more than the Mega Drive, and it was one of the better looking games on that console, and arguably one of the better ports all-round. It also, if I remember correctly, still had Flying Disk. 

• Paid Members

Mega Games I

MegaGamesI(Europe)000.jpeg.e8567e3c77704d142a393ec1fa4af69c.jpeg

One of the earliest games I had for the Mega Drive, Mega Games I got a lot of playtime in the FLips household when I was a kid. A compilation containing Super Hang-On, World Cup Italia '90 and Columns, there was genuinely something for everybody on it. My Dad would play the footy, my Brother loved the motorbikes and my Mam loved a bit of Columns; meanwhile I'd play the lot. Columns more than the others, but the others definitely got my attention for different spans of time.
Revisiting Mega Games I is a mixed experience. With the power of hindsight, it's easily the worst of the Mega Games compilations, which between them all (I'll go into more detail later too) contained classics spanning from Streets of Rage and Golden Axe to Alien Storm and Revenge of Shinobi. World Cup Italia 90' is as good as a slap in the face in comparison.
That's not to say there's no quality to be found here at all though, the first of many Mega Drive compilation games still has plenty to offer Sega fans.

Let's get this out the way first though.

World Cup Italia '90

MegaGamesI(Europe)017.jpeg.80cf9d8b9a8bc6973f792d67628a1f6f.jpeg

It's a pre-Fifa football game, which other than Sensible Soccer and maybe one or two others is a really low bar. Only included in this compilation because Sega had the rights to it at the time, it was previously and later known as both World Championship Soccer and Sega Soccer for other ports and releases.
It's just no good. Music is forgettable, graphics are bulky and way too zoomed in to know what's going on and the gameplay is shocking. A is slide tackle and shoot, B is lob/long pass and C is pass from what I can tell. It's hard to know because there's no visible power meter on shots and players will do random diving headers or overhead kicks regardless of position or actually telling them to.

MegaGamesI(Europe)020.jpeg.e1910438b47d95188c7035cf5bea4e51.jpeg

Picking your team is done from a big world map which is a good idea but half the countries aren't selectable. A minor nitpick but slightly annoying when you have a big country like Canada there and can't select it. Maybe you can only pick countries that took part in that World Cup but I can't be bothered looking to see if that's the case.
The best thing about the game is the cutscenes for Goals and Goal Kicks which in the former's case remind me of birthday cards you'd get your Grandad that have generic oil paintings on like footballers or sheds.

MegaGamesI(Europe)021.jpeg.83ca9f03e8c379f36e1132c8a28bc906.jpeg

MegaGamesI(Europe)023.jpeg.beacacbe903f5dfd3dbf2f9044a400a8.jpeg

My thoughts on World Cup Italia 90' are fittingly the same thoughts I have on my Dad who used to play it. Was about for a few years when I was a kid but since not being in my life I haven't missed it. Now I'm older I wouldn't waste my time on it.

Columns

MegaGamesI(Europe)024.jpeg.5c6807aad46cb6b5a6e989439271f9cc.jpeg

It's the thinking man's Tetris. I love a bit of Columns.

I've always found Columns to be a charming little game. It's closest to something like Puyo Puyo where the aim is to match a group of colours (in this case 3) but played with jewels and allowing you to score horizontally, vertically and diagonally. Make a match and the jewels will break, allowing the ones above to come down and score big combos.
If I had to pick games that represented the Mega Drive, Columns would definitely be in my shortlist. I have a lot of time for the presentation especially.

There's a lot of Ancient Greek inspiration throughout that I just find really interesting. I don't know if it's maybe subconscious and related to a locked memory for me or if it's just the aesthetics but it reminds me of going to the garden center, strangely enough.
Everything from the menu text to the title backgrounds feature things like winged angels with the jewels representing the stars in the heavens, or gladiators standing alongside ancient Greek columns, give a unique and interesting vibe that I think is a major part of why the game is so memorable today; the same way the Russian theme helped give Tetris a personality.
The musical peices (Clotho, Atropos and Lathesis) are all named after the Greek fates and are decent little tracks for a puzzle game. Clotho especially would also make my list if I was picking musical representation of the Mega Drive. It's not Tetris famous but I think a lot of people would remember it if they heard it and there's a lot to be said for it in the Mega Drive catalogue as a whole.

MegaGamesI(Europe)030.jpeg.72a1dacfecdf7e21ece98eae62012624.jpeg

MegaGamesI(Europe)031.jpeg.9f6c55fc1406200b47f0b4d0a3c2c7bb.jpeg

The gameplay for Columns is where the game holds up most though. Like all good puzzle games it starts off slow and steady and before you know it you can't control your peices anymore and it's a crazy free for all to fit into the nearest gaps and hope you score a big combo. The feeling you get when all the coloured jewels start shattering is still a bunch of fun.
There's a couple of game modes for 1 and 2 players, including Doubles where you play in the same area together and Flash Columns which is kind of a time attack to reach the bottom.
It's not as easily accessible as Tetris and not as fun in multiplayer as a Tetris Attack or Mean Bean Machine and while I find the theme enjoyable I can see some people finding it a bit boring and mature, especially on the console known for sports and arcade action games.

MegaGamesI(Europe)025.jpeg.395b23f77d0940ab930ef84911c65fc7.jpeg

There's a reason nearly every Mega Drive Collection game across multiple generations has this one on them though, if you're looking for an addictive puzzle game on the Mega Drive you won't find much better.

Super Hang-On

MegaGamesI(Europe)002.jpeg.60899dcf0ac98167c54f0c956431b8f0.jpeg

I always enjoyed Super Hang-On as a kid but could never really get over the difficulty of it. There's only limited fun to be had on a racing game where you can't get past the first level or two and keep running out of time. That being said it left enough of an impression I never forgot it over the years and I still remember the music on it like it was yesterday.
Going back now as an adult with a fresh perspective on exactly what type of game this is, I can appreciate it much more in that sense. It's a near perfect port of an arcade game that's made to be played over and over again and to get high scores; running out of time and learning the tracks is part of the challenge.

It looks pretty decent, like it's predecessor Outrun it has very similar track/background designs but I find Outrun has a little more meat on the bones in that regard. Some of the tracks in this are nice to look at, but as an overall presentation Outrun is a classic that this just doesn't beat.
Similarly the music in this has a couple of really good tracks on it, but holding it up against Outrun and Outrun is stronger in that regard too. The main track "Outride a Crisis" is a bonified classic though.
The gameplay is as strong as ever though. High speed racing with tight corners and some lovely scrolling and wicked crash animations. Get yourself to top speed and press C for a breakneck speed boost, similar to the High/Low gears in Outrun. There's a bar in the top left corner to show how close you are to checkpoints and the finish line which adds some pretty decent one-more-time replayability to it as you find yourself crashing out just before a vital checkpoint.
Plenty of tracks to choose from on this version too with four continents full of races to choose from. Sadly I'm not good enough at it to see most of it, but I appreciate what I did play through.

MegaGamesI(Europe)005.jpeg.beb55b37c93d9f11db155a9589eff8fa.jpeg

This version as well includes an "original mode" which sees you able to play something of a career mode where you start with a junk bike that barely controls at all but allows you to use earnings from races and sponsorships to make upgrades and repairs to the bike.
To offset the fact your bike hardly works, they scrap the timer counting down and change it to more of a time trial mode where the aim is to just set good times on tracks and race against ghost times for rivals to beat.
The issue with this mode is that if you break your bike by crashing it and don't have the money to fix it, you can't race so you're just kinda stuck. I think you can cheese it by entering a race to get paid and immediately failing it and then rinsing and repeating until you have the funds, but that's not very intuitive.
Still, it's always nice to have a bit of extra content.
On a console known for incredible arcade ports, Super Hang-On is a decent attempt. Not as timeless as Outrun but doesn't lose any of the appeal of being in a unique cabinet the same way Space Harrier or something does. There's really not a lot there to moan about if you want a solid arcade racer.

MegaGamesI(Europe)008.jpeg.7e72164f13b0ca393a14347f3f31ed08.jpeg

Overall Mega Games I is a mixed bag. Super-Hang on is a faithful to arcades port and Columns is an excellent puzzle game that if you get into the zone on it can send your head spinning with colours. World Cup Italia '90 is next to worthless.
If you can get the former two games around the same price solo I'd do that and save having the World Cup game in your library, otherwise this is worth picking up for sure. Plenty of fun to be had with 2/3 of the games and while it may not reach the heights later Mega Games do, there's still a lot to be said for it.
---
Mega Games - A rundown

The Mega Games compilations are a mad bunch and worth a little time to talk about themselves.
1 is World Cup Italia '90, Columns and Super Hang-On
2 is Streets of Rage, Revenge of Shinobi and Golden Axe
3 is Super Thunder Blade, Super Monaco GP and Alien Storm
Then it does a Windows and skips 4 and 5 and goes right to Mega Games 6: Volumes I, II and III.
6VI is a combination of 1 and 2 featuring all 6 games from both of them
6VII is a combination of 1 and 3 featuring all 6 games from both of them
6VIII is a new thing. It has Columns and World Cup Italia '90 (now renamed Sega Soccer) from MG1, Streets of Rage and Revenge of Shinobi from MG2 and Super Monaco GP from MG3 but has also thrown Sonic the Hedgehog on there.

Different regions outside the UK also got ones called the 6-Pak which had Sonic, Golden Axe, Shinobi, Streets of Rage, Columns and Super Hang-On included.
The Brazilian and Asian markets got Mega Games 10 (skipping 7-9) which had California Games, Columns, Flicky, Golden Axe, Sega Soccer, Sonic, Super Hang-On, Streets of Rage, Super Monaco GP and Shinobi on it.

There's also the Disney Collection I mentioned in my Castle of Illusion review which is Quackshot and Castle of Illusion. That's a winner there as both games are ace.

Two other compilations worth talking about are the Sonic Classics one which has Sonic 1, 2 and Mean Bean Machine on it. I'm 90% sure my mate has that one.
The other being one I had when I was collecting which is the Classic Collection made up of Alex Kidd in Enchanted Castle, Altered Beast, Flicky and Gunstar Heroes.

One really weird thing I found researching this as well is that the Australian market got some absolutely bonkers Double Packs that on paper make no sense, so I've picked some of my favourites.
Double Pack: Ballz and Donald Duck in Quackshot
Double Pack: Robocop vs Terminator and Marko's Magic Football
Double Pack: Bubsy 2 and Shinobi 3
I don't get it. That being said, not all are random and there are some in there I wouldn't have minded getting myself as a kid including Mortal Kombat 2/Revenge of Shinobi, Rocket Knight Adventures/Tiny Toons, and Sonic 3/Mega Games 1.
Look them up, there's loads of them.

On a similar note, the UK apparently got Telstar Double Value Games which don't have the weird combos the Australian Double Packs do but do have some pretty decent combos. James Pond 3/Zool, Sonic 1 and Robocod, Batman/The Terminator, Another World/Speedball 2, Wiz n Liz/Puggsy and Rockey Knight/Chuck Rock 2 are some of them.
A quick look up on Ebay and sure enough there they are. I've never seen them in my life and it looks like not many have as they're going between £620-£1000 on there. They come in big wide box. Not sure if it was a limited release or just came out so late they never sold many but there was an advert for it that I found and also apparently Master System versions!

---
Sega Logo of The Week

A bit of a boring one this week but something unique I noticed playing Mega Games 1. To my memory Super Hang-On is the only logo I've seen with the big (R) mark next to it. Not sure why this game has it and no others I remember do, but figure it was worth bringing up!

MegaGamesI(Europe)006.jpeg.9ab9fa09ad6e4b75cb527b8d79db3750.jpeg

---
Cheat of The Week

This week's cheat is courtesy of the game I'll be covering next week, The Revenge of Shinobi.

To get infinite shurikens in this ninja classic, go to Options on the main menu and change your shuriken count to 00. Wait there for around 30 seconds without pressing anything and you'll hear a noise and your shurikens will have changed to infinity. Now you have a little more firepower on your side to help beat Neo Zeed!

MegaGames2(Europe)000.jpeg.272538033124b49efd4cc11c9d31a7cf.jpeg

MegaGames2(Europe)001.jpeg.aed79c1f973b58033f2858d4ede2b33c.jpeg

---

Want to check out some of the music I was talking about?

Here's Clotho from Columns and Outride a Crisis from Super Hang-On, both worth a listen for sure.

---

Next week I'll be playing The Revenge of Shinobi. Mega Games 1 is probably the only one of the compilation games I'll be playing as the rest of the main ones are made up of games worthy of their own reviews. As good as Columns and Super Hang-On are they're short and sweet and don't have the meat on the bones that a Streets of Rage or Shinobi does.
The Shinobi review will have a large portion dedicated to all of the copyright infringements it broke so get excited for that!

Edited by FLips

On 1/31/2024 at 8:31 PM, FLips said:

Cool adverts right?
Never seen them before?
Same. Sorry.

Hoo boy.  It's all quite a bit fuzzy, but back in the 90s the music collective I was a a part of wrote a track for a potential Cool Spot advert.  We didn't get the gig but the track went out anyway - 

We also did tracks for a Levi's advert based on Joe 90, and I think we were in the mix for the Babylon Zoo Spaceman campaign.  

Edited by Loki

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Loki said:

Hoo boy.  It's all quite a bit fuzzy, but back in the 90s the music collective I was a a part of wrote a track for a potential Cool Spot advert.  We didn't get the gig but the track went out anyway - 

We also did tracks for a Levi's advert based on Killer Joe, and I think we were in the mix for the Babylon Zoo Spaceman campaign.  

Ah that's ace!
I'm not sure what year that would have been but the track is giving me PS1 era vibes. Would have fit right in on a Demo Disc menu especially, or in a Drum N Bass heavy game like Ape Escape. Really cool stuff, thanks for sharing!

• Paid Members

Mega Drive games all fall into one of three categories for me - the ones we actually owned, the ones we rented a few times, and the ones I didn't play until years later on emulation, and Mega Games 1 falls into the first category, which means it was played to death and it's pretty much impossible for me to be objective about it.

I'm not a football guy, and while I've played a few later football games on PS1 and PS2, I probably put more time into World Cup Italia '90 than any of them. All of your criticisms are spot on, but they can't combat the wave of nostalgia that comes from those chunky top down sprites and that world map. I have joked a few times over the years that the last time I was any good at a football game I was playing as West Germany, because they were my go-to team (mostly because everyone else always went straight for Brazil).

I enjoyed Super Hang-On for a time but was never good at it, because as a more or less straight arcade port it was hard as balls. After I'd rented Road Rash 2 a couple of times, I almost resented having to play a bike game where I couldn't hit the other riders with a chain. As a kid, the challenge was always trying to run across the finish line after getting knocked from your bike.

Columns is the one, though. I have the Mega Drive Collection on PS2, and have sunk more hours into Columns than any other game on there, it's just beautifully meditative and the right side of challenging without getting frustrating, so I've racked up some mad high scores on there over the years. I played it before I ever played Tetris, so for a long time it kind of felt like the default of this sort of game, and the matching colours mechanic felt more intuitive to me than making lines in Tetris. It was also, until Beehive Bedlam came along on Sky Digital, the only game my Mum ever played.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

Mega Drive games all fall into one of three categories for me - the ones we actually owned, the ones we rented a few times, and the ones I didn't play until years later on emulation, and Mega Games 1 falls into the first category, which means it was played to death and it's pretty much impossible for me to be objective about it.

I'm not a football guy, and while I've played a few later football games on PS1 and PS2, I probably put more time into World Cup Italia '90 than any of them. All of your criticisms are spot on, but they can't combat the wave of nostalgia that comes from those chunky top down sprites and that world map. I have joked a few times over the years that the last time I was any good at a football game I was playing as West Germany, because they were my go-to team (mostly because everyone else always went straight for Brazil).

I enjoyed Super Hang-On for a time but was never good at it, because as a more or less straight arcade port it was hard as balls. After I'd rented Road Rash 2 a couple of times, I almost resented having to play a bike game where I couldn't hit the other riders with a chain. As a kid, the challenge was always trying to run across the finish line after getting knocked from your bike.

Columns is the one, though. I have the Mega Drive Collection on PS2, and have sunk more hours into Columns than any other game on there, it's just beautifully meditative and the right side of challenging without getting frustrating, so I've racked up some mad high scores on there over the years. I played it before I ever played Tetris, so for a long time it kind of felt like the default of this sort of game, and the matching colours mechanic felt more intuitive to me than making lines in Tetris. It was also, until Beehive Bedlam came along on Sky Digital, the only game my Mum ever played.

I know what you mean about Road Rash. I played one of them round a mate’s house and was over the moon you could attack other drivers. It was the exact sort of carnage a young kid loves.

I can also relate to the nostalgia for the world map on Italia 90 as I was hit with a little wave of it right up until kick off and then reality came crashing down. 

I played a lot of Tetris on the original Gameboy back in the day and then Tetris DX on the GBC but no puzzle game has sent me into that complete concentration trance like Columns has. When I emulated it on the PC back when I was about 15/16 I remember getting a score that was over a million (though it likely wasn’t) but it was definitely a high level super speed big score that was so impressive I took a screenshot of.

• Awards Moderator
20 hours ago, FLips said:

2 is Streets of Rage, Revenge of Shinobi and Golden Axe

Iconic. What a triple threat. Playing Streets of Rage round my mate's started a lifetime obsession with the series for me. Revenge is just polished to fuck with beautiful sprites, pinpoint accuracy and excellent level design. Golden Axe was a little dated by point of release but still a fun bash 'em up. Hours of fun in that set. 

(I mean if you hate battering bad dudes this will suck, but they are incredibly well made.) 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Onyx2 said:

Iconic. What a triple threat. Playing Streets of Rage round my mate's started a lifetime obsession with the series for me. Revenge is just polished to fuck with beautiful sprites, pinpoint accuracy and excellent level design. Golden Axe was a little dated by point of release but still a fun bash 'em up. Hours of fun in that set. 

(I mean if you hate battering bad dudes this will suck, but they are incredibly well made.) 

For sure of the comps that aren’t late multi-mega games comps like 6 and 10, 2 is by far the best you could get. It would be a fairly easy argument for the best cartridge on the machine in terms of quality to price.

I told a story in the first post of this thread how I found the box for it out in the woods one day but it only had the manual and no game. Still fuming now a quarter of a century later.

• Paid Members

The Revenge of Shinobi

RevengeofShinobiThe(USAEurope)001.jpeg.a341b6791a8a56e3a7980e6bef4e88b6.jpeg

One of the certified staples of the Sega Mega Drive that you'll see turn up on most compilations both on the console itself and later during future generations, The Revenge of Shinobi was developed and published by Sega in 1989 and is not only one of the most impressive games on the console but also one of the most interesting.
Taking place three years after the original arcade game, Joe Musashi is seeking revenge on the criminal organisation Neo Zeed for killing his master and kidnapping his wife.
The game consists of around 8 stages made up of two levels and a boss each. As the Shinobi of legend, you'll be jumping and slashing through a geographical buffet of locations including ancient ruins and waterfalls in Japan, Scrapyards in Detroit and freeways and military bases in Los Angeles. The game does a brilliant job of making every level and sublevel feel unique both in looks and gameplay.
Some are standard A to B hacking and slashing through waves of enemies, whereas some throw more platform heavy sections in and some, like the later catacomb level, are maze-like in design and require a slower pace and knowing your surroundings.

The gameplay is as solid as you like, both in a complimentary way and also in regards to the difficulty. Like a lot of arcade-style action games at this time, for example Ghouls N Ghosts or Castlevania, most of the difficulty comes from the clunkier movement from your character and some iffy enemy placement. Shinobi moves on the ground responsively and you have a good amount of options in regards to attacks both at close and far range; the issues arise from the platforming sections and unfair enemy placement.
As early as stage 2 you're required to do a lot of double jumping up logs in a waterfall and it does not handle well. The double jump is performed by pressing jump again at the very tip of your jump but the room for error is tiny. Too soon and he won't jump, too late and he won't jump. Stage 2 is the make or break level in this game and if you don't get that jump timing down you'll be in deep trouble as it's required to progress.
Combine this with enemies that, on this level and especially later levels, can fire at you or swoop in from off-screen so you don't know you're in danger until it's too late, and you're in trouble.
When the enemies gradually change from ninjas and dogs to soldiers with mounted machine guns and grenades, the game takes a wild swing in difficulty.

RevengeofShinobiThe(USAEurope)004.jpeg.91a548bab7d30ab7c869b7b4799f475a.jpeg

Thankfully Shinobi 3 fixed a lot of these issues, with a better window for double jumping and more attack options for taking the enemies down. There's a rom hack you can get too that has put Shinobi 3 jumps into Revenge of Shinobi, though I never managed to get it to work.
Despite the difficulty the game is still fantastic and certainly not as difficult as the other games I mentioned. You could get it completed with enough practice and it's fair enough with the amount of extra lives and continues you can use.
You also get Ninjustu spells that give you different abilities to help with sections of the game, and in some sections they are a must for an easier time.
The Art of Thunder envelopes you in a shield that can absorb four hits and also stops you being knocked back or losing your shuriken powerup.
The Art of Fire Dragon fills the screen with pillars of fire that kills every enemy on it or if used against a boss does significant damage.
The Art of Floating gives you higher and floatier jumps  - use this on that waterfall section and you can breeze through it thankfully.
The last spell is both the least used but also most powerful - The Art of Pulverizing. This one makes you self destruct dealing major damage to everything on screen, also giving you full health and refreshing your ninjutsu powers. It does however come at the cost of your life so use this as a last resort and only if you have extra lives or you'll essentially game over yourself.
Alongside powered up shurikens, extra ammo, health and lives you can also pick up extra uses of Ninjutsu so it's worth smashing every crate and searching for hidden items as they'll serve you well. Sneakily, a lot of crates have bombs hidden in them so be careful!

RevengeofShinobiThe(USAEurope)038.jpeg.785a983cec541f866eb7aa759073465a.jpeg

To compliment the fantastic gameplay you have not only excellent graphics but arguably the best soundtrack on the console.
For a game released so early into the console's life cycle there is a fantastic amount of colour and animation in the stages. As early as the first few seconds you're greeted with a day-night transition above the japanese ruins and from there it just gets better. Waves crashing into the rocks as you jump between boats in the bay, strobe lights confusing your view as you battle against a ninja in a nightclub, and clouds blowing by in the sky as the doors in the cargo plane you've infiltrated open and close as you pass them, threatening to hurl you to your death.
There are a few less impressive levels mixed in, namely the factory based ones, but they're a rare sight in a sea of colour and variety.
Shinobi gets a lot on screen at once and very rarely at the sacrifice of frame rate. Several enemies, animated backgrounds and on-screen items can fill a screen as you battle through it and really makes the stages feel alive. Some stages as well boast both a foreground and background that you can transition between, giving you multiple ways through but also isolated enemies and items to one layer. It's all very impressive.

RevengeofShinobiThe(USAEurope)008.jpeg.6ae5b7b7bb8371b6beb71d34a86031f4.jpeg

Equally if not more impressive is Yuzo Koshiro's soundtrack which was of such a high quality that it got his name on the title screen front and center as a drawing power for the game, and also a full album release on the Alfa Records label.
There's not what I would consider a bad track on the game but there are multiple I would consider among the best on the console. Chinatown in particular may very well be my favourite peice of music in the entire Mega Drive library.
It's hard to describe how good it is so I'll post some clips to listen to!

shinobiost.thumb.png.340ebcd3cdde4a24903533dbe899ef83.png

Overall The Revenge of Shinobi remains one of the crowning achievements on the Mega Drive. Solid "one more go" style difficult gameplay with only a few flaws, beautiful graphics with varied stages and definitively one of the best soundtracks in Sega's back catalogue. A good and bad ending and plenty of secrets to find add a ton of replayability to it. It feels, like Streets of Rage after it, that it's all the moreish qualities of a classic Sega Arcade game but with the accessibility of a console game. A near perfect blend of accessibility and challenge.
It's worth a go any day of the week though the challenge might be too much for some!

RevengeofShinobiThe(USAEurope)045.jpeg.376f839d04d6c1855e04f7e8f2a81bcf.jpeg

Remember when I said Shinobi was one of the more interesting games on the console?

Remember even further back last week when I said the game was a copyright nightmare?

Well here we go.
The Revenge of Shinobi has the unique achievement of having multiple versions across multiple decades, with at least four versions on the Mega Drive alone and then compilations and releases right up to the current generation.
This is because Sega for some reason just could not stop using copyrighted characters as bosses. Sometimes they were allowed to and sometimes they weren't and had to change it. Here's a nice breakdown of the major releases if you don't have time to read the included articles.

copyrightshinobi.png.b138c7ecdc7d955f62cfb85a194a7183.png

The version I played this time around looks to be 1.01 as I had real Spiderman and Devilman instead of Batman, and I had the baldy Rambos.
Other versions I've played over the years had Batman in it, the fake black and red Spiderman, and a giant skeleton Godzilla with it's bones and organs on show instead of proper Godzilla.

There's an excellent article covering it better than I could over at Den of Geek. https://www.denofgeek.com/games/revenge-of-shinobi-and-its-cheerful-copyright-infringement/

And a great side-by-side comparison of all the versions over here https://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=821265

Strangely enough it seems the only enemy to remain untouched throughout every version is the Terminator/Hulk boss, which in combining two copyright characters they've created an untouchable single amalgamation that doesn't breach anything.
---

Sega Logo of The Week

Growing up I was a huge fan of Ren and Stimpy. One day when I was in infants my Mam was pulled aside by my teacher at the end of the day because I'd painted something I kept called Toast Powder and she couldn't wrap her head around it and was worried I'd banged my head or something.
My Mam had to sit there and embarrassingly explain who Powdered Toast Man was to my teacher. That painting was stuck to my fridge for years and I think she still has it in a box under the bed alongside baby hair and the remnants of my infected bellybutton from when I was born. She's a strange woman.
Anyway I was (in hindsight very fortunate) to not have any of the Ren and Stimpy games as a kid but this week's logo nevertheless comes courtesy of Ren and Stimpy - Stimpy's Invention in which the timeless log song plays as log marches the Sega logo onto the screen as it bounces around to the music. Then there's a fun cartoon-style circular fade on the logo to the title screen.
I played some garbage as a kid so there's no way I wouldn't have enjoyed this back in the day, and I'm amused by it even now. Very fun logo for fans.

RenStimpyShowPresentsThe-StimpysInvention(Europe)001.jpeg.95227c50c0870de7193cb4ca1d676441.jpeg

RenStimpyShowPresentsThe-StimpysInvention(Europe)003.jpeg.3ff568de32eb5a4f281a6a53911f5fb3.jpeg

RenStimpyShowPresentsThe-StimpysInvention(Europe)014.jpeg.b341a81c60f476711d58cf0ed7e17fc3.jpeg
---

Cheat of The Week

Very fun little cheat this week, which ultimately doesn't effect gameplay in any way and is ultimately useless, but still unique enough to talk about!
In Rocket Knight Adventures, start a new game and play for a little while, about 10-15 seconds.
Now, pause the game and press Up, Up, Up, Up, Up, Up, Up, Down, Left, Left, Left, Right. The "Pause" text should reverse. If it had, soft reset the game and wait on the title screen.
The gameplay you just did will now be used as the gameplay demo
Thought this one was pretty fun!

RocketKnightAdventures(Europe)000.jpeg.cfd2e3238b9f47a958d468e7e74f411d.jpeg

---
Next week is up to you lot. Give me some of your lesser known gems and favourites and I'll give them a bash.

Edited by FLips

• Paid Members

sonic.gif.dd82627f229d40713e3c6b217445a19e.gif

Received no suggestions so there's no review this week. I can only assume this is some sort of coordinated attack from another secret forum.

Next week I'll be playing Toejam and Earl.