FLips' Sega MegaDrive Thread

FLips

10 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

I have the exact same console history! Master System to N64 was an incredible jump. Until then I'd always been jealous of mates that had the Mega Drive too. I remember playing Streets of Rage on my Uncle's MD and thinking it was the coolest game I'd ever played.

Where did you end up next? I jumped from N64 to PS1 mini mainly for the Smackdown games a few months later I added the Gamecube to scratch my Zelda and Mario itch. 

When I was a YTS lad at HMV they decided to get into the burgeoning games market, I got a full time job in the store I was working at as I was already into games. This was the very early 90s and no fucker even knew the top floor was now open as a games floor. So for most of the time there wasn’t anything to do but “Test the display consoles” by playing any game for hours at a time. 

Always preferred the SNES but the lax security and stocktaking meant I had both consoles and any game I wanted. Always felt sport games were better on the Mega Drive and platformers and RPGs were better on the SNES. 

I never had a Sega console until the Dreamcast. I was a Nintendo kid exclusively until then. So I feel like I missed out on quite a lot and probably don't appreciate some of the games as much as I should. Definitely need to spend some more time with the system.

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, Joe Blog said:

Where did you end up next? I jumped from N64 to PS1 mini mainly for the Smackdown games a few months later I added the Gamecube to scratch my Zelda and Mario itch. 

I also went from N64 to PS1, funnily enough! That was only because I bought my mate's for twenty quid when he got his PS2 though. The only thing I remember enjoying on the PS1 was Pro Evo. There was a period from around 2002 to 2009 where pretty much the only games I played were the Pro Evo series.

To segue back on-topic, the original FIFA on the Mega Drive was brilliant. Surely everyone remembers running away from the referee so he couldn't send you off! I was never any good because I'd only ever play on other people's consoles, so they'd always beat me.

In recent years I've played many of the console's famous titles via those 'Classics' compilations that get released on every modern console, but you really miss out on some of the games that made the Mega Drive so special in its day, with its library of brilliant licensed sports sims.

A lot of the SNES ports of FIFA, NHL, Madden etc were shipped out and based on the Mega Drive originals IIRC, EA was in a much closer relationship to Sega. Now look at ISS and it's proof the SNES could easily hold it's own.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

Who had the Mega CD? To me, this was the pinnacle of wealth, along with a Atari Jaguar and a Neo Geo. If you had either of the latter two...my word. You were mega rich.

When I was living away for Uni I had disposable money and not much sense, so my student loans went on a MegaDrive collection instead of booze and takeaways (but still a bit of that too).

During this time I had about 40-50 fully complete games and a boxed console and boxed Sega CD. Thought the CD was low on choice but The Terminator game on there was amazing, and Eternal Champions: Challenge From The Darkside and Sonic CD were also pretty decent.

When I finished Uni I stupidly sold them all. Got a decent amount but in hindsight should have kept them. It’s strange how something like Streets of Rage 2 would sell for beans but I got £70 cash for Donald Duck in Maui Mallard. Retro collecting is very fluctuating for seemingly no reason.

7 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

I've just remembered, I had this bad boy, or a variation, as I don't remember it looking exactly like that, and thought it was called Sega Scope?

No idea what games I had for it though, maybe just the Terminator one to be honest.

God, I remember getting one of them and it never worked for some reason. We sent it right back and didn't bother again, but yeah I think nothing really came out on it outside of a couple of games.

• Paid Members

I had the NES Duck Hunt gun and then didn’t own a lightgun again until Point Blank on the PS1.

My brother’s mate had a SNES Super Scope which looked ace but got more use as a pretend bazooka than it did on the SNES.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

I've just remembered, I had this bad boy, or a variation, as I don't remember it looking exactly like that, and thought it was called Sega Scope?

spacer.png

No idea what games I had for it though, maybe just the Terminator one to be honest.

https://www.timeextension.com/features/the-making-of-the-menacer-how-sega-rustled-up-a-super-scope-rival-in-just-six-months

I didn't have a console until the PS1. It was Amigas for me. I curiously looked over at the various consoles. Never took the plunge though.

I remember when Madden came out on the Megadrive. It was heralded as a major development in gaming. It eventually also came out on the Amiga. The presentation in the Amiga version was incredible. Full on TV style front end. A bit like Robocop 3D. They'd worked out an ingenious control method for Madden. No need for those daft pad things with their myriad of buttons. Plus proper football games were always better with a joystick. Kick Off 2 and SWOS. Neither game was ever quite right on console. You can keep your FIFA. I've hated that game series since it's inception. 

Glorious!

• Paid Members

I loved the Mega Drive.

Growing up, we had a Commodore 64, but it lived on an unreachable shelf in my parents' room, so you had to ask permission for them to get it down and then only be allowed to play it for a short time. My older brothers had a Master System that usually lived in their bedroom (with a black and white telly!), and it was always a real treat to be allowed to play that; sometimes my brother would bring it down and set it up on the living room TV while our parents were out, and either let me play Alex Kidd while he did his homework, or watch him play Altered Beast.

The Mega Drive was the first console to feel like it belonged to me and my twin brother, rather than being something that we were occasionally permitted to use. Which is ironic, as it was actually less "ours" than any of the previous consoles. My Mum volunteered running the local youth club, and she bought the Mega Drive for the club, which operated out of the village hall, which happened to be basically next door to our house. During the summer, the club was closed, so the Mega Drive came home with us, along with the small selection of games that accompanied it - Sonic The Hedgehog, a three-in-one of Columns, Super Hang-On and World Cup Italia '90, Streets of Rage 2, and Urban Strike. As luck would have it, though, at that time my Dad was working for Ritz Video, so we always got free or cheap rentals. So we had a console that wasn't ours, and games that weren't ours. Eventually, during some event or other, somebody snuck into the TV room at the village hall and nicked a couple of games out of their cases, so we decided keeping the Mega Drive and all of the games at home all of the time - meaning we had the youth club's console at home all week, apart from a couple of hours on Friday night, when chances are we'd be at the club playing it anyway. Win win!

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Who had the Mega CD? To me, this was the pinnacle of wealth, along with a Atari Jaguar and a Neo Geo. If you had either of the latter two...my word. You were mega rich.

I had one of these bad boys, though not as a kid. As a computer games collecting nerd. The Multi Mega was what the MegaCD needed to be from the start. 

product-83861.jpg.ed369761662491f1713d2b7dba3db367.jpg

Amstrad was my first foray in to games but Megadrive was second and changed everything for me. Got a Megadrive 2 in 1994 with Mega Games 1, Sonic 2 and Lion King and that whole experience of unboxing it and setting it up is so vivid to me, as is the memory of how fucking difficult Lion King was.

I was late to the console party because my mum was newly divorced and we weren't exactly flush for money but going from playing on cassettes with 9 minute load times to being able to just put a cartridge and start playing instantly was unreal. FIFA International and FIFA '95 were hammered constantly, as was Micro Machines, Street Racer and in particular Mortal Kombat 2 and 3. 

The Megadrive was such a massive part of my childhood that when a mate of mine got one of the new versions a few years back as soon as we put in Ultimate Mortal Kombat I unlocked muscle memory form 25 years previous like a Russian sleeper agent and proceeded to kick the shit out of everybody as Lui Kang, remembering all the moves and button presses for the Fatalities.