People you inexplicably like

SuperBacon

I went to see McFly last year. My girlfriend is a huge fan and had never seen them. And they were wonderful! One of the tightest bands I’ve ever seen and a truly joyous gig with people of all ages. “Where Did All The Guitars Go” wouldn’t be out of place on Kerrang, killer riff! I’d say they’re a modern day Monkees. Great pop songs and a great bunch of lads. 

When I saw Bad Religion there was a man there with his son both in Bad Religion shirts, at the McFly gig there was a few women with presumably their daughters in McFly shirts. Beautiful. 

We always joke about “Northern Danny” and to keff it up a bit, I was telling my girlfriend about the north south divide on chippys. She didn’t really understand until I said “McFly have a chippy tea, three chips and curry sauce, one chips and gravy, who is having what” and it clicked!

@deathrey Tom actually wrote some Busted songs, Year 3000 and Crashed The Wedding, so obviously they’re the best ones. He wrote for One Direction as well!

37 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

@deathrey Tom actually wrote some Busted songs, Year 3000 and Crashed The Wedding, so obviously they’re the best ones. He wrote for One Direction as well!

I didn't know that he had written for One Direction, they also have some great pop songs, particularly the later stuff whilst Zayn was still there.  I'll have to look up what he was responsible for.

I still think Busted are shit.

Edited by deathrey

1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I think Pete Davidson seems a good sort. I like him even though his standup is shit.

The most famous women in the world seem to like him, a lot, for a short time at least. He gets points for pissing off racist era Kanye so badly, too.

On 12/22/2023 at 11:13 AM, deathrey said:

I know this is very odd one but Rylan Clark. I know he has weird teeth and is probably annoying to a lot of people but I really like him. He seems like a genuinely nice guy, and doesn't take himself seriously at all. There is just something really likeable and charming about him

I like him. He seems like a nice guy. And he's a good presenter 

• Paid Members

I met McFly really early on in them getting big, because they were booked on a forgettable ITV show I was a runner on, and we were about the same age. They were good lads then, when, as teenagers who just got famous, they would have every right to have been complete arseholes. I probably couldn't hum you a note of their music, but I've got a soft spot for them all the same.

20 hours ago, Merzbow said:

The most famous women in the world seem to like him, a lot, for a short time at least. He gets points for pissing off racist era Kanye so badly, too.

I’m a bit obsessed with the dumpster fire of Kanye West. It’s as tragic as it is funny. As is the Charlemagne interview where he talks about Kanye ringing him distraught about Pete Davisons big white willy.

• Paid Members

I find Jeremy Clarkson oddly endearing.  Not the type of person I’d get on with and a complete twat at times, but there’s a strange likability with him.

• Paid Members
22 hours ago, Merzbow said:

The most famous women in the world seem to like him, a lot

I love how angry that makes the self proclaimed alpha male types on the internet, so he earns bonus points from me for that too. 

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

I’m a bit obsessed with the dumpster fire of Kanye West. It’s as tragic as it is funny. As is the Charlemagne interview where he talks about Kanye ringing him distraught about Pete Davisons big white willy.

I love that that is so specifically the exact opposite of what played out on here with that chap and his girlfriend's Kanye poster.

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I love that that is so specifically the exact opposite of what played out on here with that chap and his girlfriend's Kanye poster.

Are you still with her, @Sphinx?

• Paid Members

My daughter went to see McFly when she was 14. While they were waiting to get in, members of the support band (I can't remember who they were) were going round the girls asking if they'd like to come backstage with them after they'd done their set instead of watching McFly. Proper defensive dad moment for me there.

At the end of the night, while McFly were finishing off their encore and I was waiting outside, about a dozen girls came out, removing their T-shirts/jackets/etc. as they went down the stair, and waited outside the stage door in what was basically lingerie. 

Claudia Winkelman has done an amazing job with Strictly. She's actually made some of the talking bits interesting, is constantly taking the piss out of one of the biggest shows on TV, and helped Tess Daley become a better presenter. Also, the way she was there for Tess Daley during the Bruce Forsyth tribute was genuinely touching.