AEW Full Gear 2023 - November 18th

Supremo

I don't think Ronda's a big enough star anymore to make the WWE-itis worth it.

AEW's got a ceiling of about just over a million for Dynamite and they were hitting that with Hangman/Omega for a few weeks before Punk came in. Getting back those 200,000 fans who lost interest should be their main priority, and I just don't think someone like her's going to do it. Especially when the main baked-in running criticism of the product is that it's started to become more like WWE lite. 

I know she didn't end things on the best of terms with them but she's practically a McMahon in everything but name. It just wouldn't fit, for me. Like Edge but with zero good faith. 

Yeah, it's got to be a big name from the indy scene so to speak- if it was a big star ala Goldberg or even Rousey, he'd surely have worded it "wrestling fans", same for any of the WWE releases who have been there years, specifically saying AEW fans makes me think he's leaning into the more hard-core fan that follows AEW than your typical wrestling fan. Osprey has obviously wrestled there already so it would make the most sense, and like has been said sign the contract and its starting from next year.

• Paid Members

What exactly has happened with Mercedes Mone? I saw her on-screen for the Wembley show but has she been referred to or talked about at all since then? I know plans change and all that, but seems like a weird tease only for nothing to then happen.

That said, she'd be far more of an asset joining than Dolph Ziggler or Sami Callihan because they're both fucking shit and she's not. Those two would just be stuck in the pack with all the other ex-WWE castoffs whereas she would be right to the top of her division.

Maybe it's AJ Lee.

• Paid Members

Mercedes has been rehabbing an injury, I believe.

Chris Hero is having his first match in a few years tonight, so I'm guessing that if it's not Mercedes it's him. Tony Khan’s Tweet is very carefully worded to be gender neutral, though, and I don't think he'd have bothered keeping things that ambiguous for a male wrestler.

37 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

What exactly has happened with Mercedes Mone? I saw her on-screen for the Wembley show but has she been referred to or talked about at all since then? I know plans change and all that, but seems like a weird tease only for nothing to then happen.

That said, she'd be far more of an asset joining than Dolph Ziggler or Sami Callihan because they're both fucking shit and she's not. Those two would just be stuck in the pack with all the other ex-WWE castoffs whereas she would be right to the top of her division.

Maybe it's AJ Lee.

Has been injured since May. The Wembley appearance seemed more about the buzz but minimising it at the same time. Since there was rumours she was going to make an actual appearance like the Tokyo Dome.

Still injured. Recently made an appearance with the recovery boot off, which led to speculation she'd be fine for an appearance at Full Gear. After news of the signing at Full Gear, Fightful are reporting that its not her.

If you want the hard sell on the new signing:

No free agent talk. Sign their AEW contract. Can't see it being anyone other than Ospreay with the building hype and Mercedes being ruled out in advance to manage those expectations.

Edited by Infinity Land

1 minute ago, Dr. Alan Grant said:

If it’s Matt Cardona, I will shake my fist in anger.

She’s probably not a big enough name, but I’d like to see Jordynne Grace in AEW eventually. 

Do we know what her contract status with TNA is? I know it ran out and she came back but I wasn't sure if that was a short term thing or not.

• Paid Members

I think Pat’s nailed it. The “respect,” thing fits perfectly. It would be the most Tony Khan thing of all time to hype up a new signing, have people lose their mind speculating about top stars and legends of the past, and then deliver Kassius Ohno. Probably turn the lights on and off, too.

• Paid Members

On paper, this looks like one of the strongest cards AEW have ever put together. There's no chance that Swerve v Hangman and OC v Moxley don't knock it out of the park. We've seen both matches recently, and they don't even need to match those standards to have delivered a fantastic effort. 

Then you have MJF and White, whilst I haven't been a fan of the build to this, these two can flat out go. I expect them to be one and done with each other for now as well so they'll probably not be holding anything back for "next month" etc. The 4 way tag team match looks a blinder and with the way it has come about is one of the rare times I've been way more in favour of a 4 way than a 2 Vs 2. 

The Bucks Vs Omega/Jericho. If this were a Meat Loaf song, we know how it would go. Not convinced Jericho can hold up his end of the bargain in a match like this at this stage. It should still be good but I see Jericho pulling it down more than the rest of them pulling him up. 

The six man tag reads extremely weird on paper, but it's going to be good craic. Christian is incredible but he has an absolute bag of misfits with him as it stands right now. Nick Wayne could be good in the future, and he's better placed as a heel under Christian's wing, but he's not good now. And well, Luchasaurus is what he is. But with all the moving parts here there will be enough going on to keep this a fun spectacle.

Copeland could do with joining Christian as a heel and leading to Christian/Edge Vs Sting/Darby for Revolution. We're probably too far from Revolution for that to happen here, and possibly too far to continue Christian/Darby for that long. As well as that, I guess it depends if you're sending Sting out on a happy note for the fans with his arms raised, or on his back. If he's not going to lose between now and the end, Christian and Copeland won't exactly be hurt for losing to him and getting no heat back. If Sting is going to lose before he goes, but only once then I would be looking more towards someone that could benefit more from it - in that case pull the trigger on the Edge turn and get that feud over with by early January. Then Swerve and partner or Starks and Big Bill could retire Sting at the end. 

I don't expect we'll find out who the devil is on this show. My thinking is also that it's Adam Cole, but that he is just as injured as they said he was, meaning this is going to go on for a while yet. 

MY best guess is the big signing is Ospreay. At least that's who I immediately expected it to be when seeing the announcement. Unfortunately.

6 minutes ago, WeeAl said:

I don't expect we'll find out who the devil is on this show. My thinking is also that it's Adam Cole, but that he is just as injured as they said he was, meaning this is going to go on for a while yet. 

I didn’t think so either, but the poster they dropped today makes me think it might be Devil time after all…