AEW Full Gear 2023 - November 18th

Supremo

• Paid Members

Ticket sales and ratings dwindling, weekly TV that’s copping a lot of flak, reputation and morale in the toilet thanks to the signing of a sex pest, Tony making a holy show of himself on Twitter, but AEW’s one consistent positive right now is their pay per views. They’re on a ridiculous run of amazing shows and this weekend’s lineup suggests yet another belter! Cop a load of this!

AEW WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP

MJF (c) vs. Jay White

AEW INTERNATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP

Orange Cassidy (c) vs. Jon Moxley

AEW WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP 4-WAY MATCH

Ricky Starks & Big Bill (c) vs. FTR (Cash Wheeler & Dax Harwood) vs. Kings of the Black Throne (Malakai Black & Brody King) vs. La Facción Ingobernable (Rush & Dralístico)

AEW WOMEN'S WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP

Hikaru Shida (c) vs. Toni Storm

AEW TBS CHAMPIONSHIP 3-WAY MATCH

Kris Statlander (c) vs. Julia Hart vs. [Red Velvet or Skye Blue]

TRIOS MATCH

Sting, Darby Allin & Adam Copeland vs. Christian Cage, Luchasaurus & Nick Wayne

The Golden Jets (Kenny Omega & Chris Jericho) vs. The Young Bucks (Matt & Nick Jackson)

TEXAS DEATH MATCH

Adam Page vs. Swerve Strickland

ROH WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP

MJF (c) & ??? vs. The Gunns (Austin & Colten Gunn)

I think MJF vs. Jay White is going to massively overdeliver given the mostly rubbish build up. I love Max, and I’m fascinated by this current web of storylines he’s got going on, but there’s no denying the build up to this match has suffered because of it. It’s a really novel approach, having an A, B, C, D and even E plot ongoing concurrently, and it certainly makes the World Champion feel like the main character of your show. However, it all falls apart when the pay per view main event features the third or fourth most interesting storyline. Who gives a fuck about a stolen belt when you’ve got masked villain mysteries and hard-as-nails motherfuckers like Wardlow and Samoa Joe coming for blood. Whole thing just feels like a forgone conclusion. Hopefully I’m wrong and it all leads to some crazy crescendo, but bar what will probably be an amazing match, I’m just hoping MJF can move on from the Bullet Club to more interesting developments. Let’s all pretend Racism Week didn’t happen, too.

I’ve seen suggestions of Copeland turning heel on Sting and Darby, joining The Patriarchy (still an amazing name!). I’m not entirely against it. Considering how hot his debut felt, it’s mental how quickly Copeland has cooled off and just became part of the furniture. Turn heel and spin off to having some Sting and Darby vs. Edge and Christian matches? I’ll have some of that!

Hangman in Texas Death should absolutely rule. He’s always nailed these matches and came up with mad, ridiculous spots. Can’t wait. I’d still be tempted to give Swerve the win though. It’s now or never. Set him up as the next big thing. Hangman’s always more interesting losing, anyway.

Cassidy vs. Moxley just feels sad. Given Orange’s phenomenal run, and their amazing match at All Out, it’s such a shame injuries has stunted so much momentum. Hopefully a big win for Cassidy and we can move on to bigger and better things. I think it’s probably time Mox turns back babyface too.

The Four Way Tag should exist solely to put Big Bill over. If he’s not in the ring, he should be at the desk bantering with Nigel McGuinness. He’s the best.

The amount she’s improved this last year, I’d put the belt on Julia Hart.

I’d love to know the story behind Golden Jets vs. Young Bucks. Match that came out of nowhere, completely undermining the Don Callis Family storyline. A title shot The Bucks won ages ago being on the line, whilst a load of other teams get a title shot on this very show because they did some run ins. What a mess. Kenny and The Bucks spending the last few months sleepwalking through everything they do on TV hasn’t helped, either. Nick Jackson having a moan on instagram has only added fuel to the fire. Something is going on with them backstage.

IMG_6834.thumb.jpeg.68369f5f90aaacd245dc315c0a92747e.jpeg

Honestly, forget all the daft trolling or stupid, “clues,” people are seeing that aren’t there. This is the closest thing to convince me that Tony’s lost his last marble and has decided to bring back CM Punk to be revealed as The Devil. It would explain why The Elite have Wish-I’d-signed-with-WWE resting face.

So yeah. Thoughts? Predictions? Worth the fifteen quid, or is it a pirate’s life for thee?

While this will undoubtedly be a good PPV I do really miss going into a PPV being excited about it and looking forward to it, rather than the PPV just being a relief to the struggle of the journey to get there. I could and should be more hyped for it and that is a shame. I always think they'll get some momentum after a great PPV but they strangely never seem to do it. 

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, Supremo said:

IMG_6834.thumb.jpeg.68369f5f90aaacd245dc315c0a92747e.jpeg

Honestly, forget all the daft trolling or stupid, “clues,” people are seeing that aren’t there. This is the closest thing to convince me that Tony’s lost his last marble and has decided to bring back CM Punk to be revealed as The Devil. It would explain why The Elite have Wish-I’d-signed-with-WWE resting face.

I wondered this too, because I'm not sure what else would cause them to have such a "toys out of the pram" moment. 

I still don't think it's him, but I'm no longer 100%. It'll be stupid if it is, but wrestling is better with Punk involved, so that's something even if it us some sub-Russo "worked shoot" bollocks. 

I do wonder if whoever the Devil is, or at least someone in the gear, will be MJF's tag partner in the match, even just briefly before disappearing until the end of the show. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, mim731 said:

I wondered this too, because I'm not sure what else would cause them to have such a "toys out of the pram" moment. 

I still don't think it's him, but I'm no longer 100%. It'll be stupid if it is, but wrestling is better with Punk involved, so that's something even if it us some sub-Russo "worked shoot" bollocks. 

I do wonder if whoever the Devil is, or at least someone in the gear, will be MJF's tag partner in the match, even just briefly before disappearing until the end of the show. 

The one thing that was mad was the CM Punk altercation was news on twitter within minutes of it occurring. At the time I was too busy enjoying All In to think too much about it. But if this was all a work and the devil is CM Punk with Jack Perry alongside him, that’s some fucking story they have pulled off.

42 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

The one thing that was mad was the CM Punk altercation was news on twitter within minutes of it occurring. At the time I was too busy enjoying All In to think too much about it. But if this was all a work and the devil is CM Punk with Jack Perry alongside him, that’s some fucking story they have pulled off.

But… like… what would be the point? All options aren’t very good..

1) It was the plan all along, and they gave him his own show and real world title just to pull this shit and give him 3 months off, throwing Collision under the bus, making the world title scene ever muddier and making the narrative about AEW one of a company in chaos.

2) It wasn’t the plan all along, but Khan’s arse has wobbled at the thought of Punk going WWE; or because the TV execs gave him a bollocking; or because live attendances are down or whatever. Maybe a combination of the above. But, either way, it’d be selling the Bucks, Perry and their mates all the way down the river.

3) The silly old duffer has had a long term injury *again* and they couldn’t bare to say that, so concocted this nonsense before he ran off to get surgery or something. Regardless, it probably means he’s only another month or two away from another major injury.

All told, it’s not a good sign if it’s Punk. A funny one. But not a good one.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

Just now, SuperBacon said:

Oh look, another CM Punk thread. Great.

Don’t blame us. We’re just slaves to his Instagram stories.

If it’s Adam Cole, which I think it is in all seriousness, it’ll be interesting to see whether they overplayed the severity of his injury for real shock value, and he’s able to hit a superkick or whatever. Or whether they’re going to keep him un-physical for a bit.

• Paid Members

I’m more convinced than ever that The Devil is going to be Adam Cole. Seems the perfect pay-off to the MJF arc. The one man he trusted was a horrible prick all along, even screwing his life up when he was out injured.

Did The Devil angle start the moment Cole broke his foot? I wouldn’t be against Kyle, Adam and Roddy revealing themselves as being behind the whole thing the entire time. Could even retcon those dog shit vignettes at Roddy’s house as them trying to keep Max off the scent. “We know they were shit, that was the point.”

4 minutes ago, Supremo said:

I’m more convinced than ever that The Devil is going to be Adam Cole. Seems the perfect pay-off to the MJF arc. The one man he trusted was a horrible prick all along, even screwing his life up when he was out injured.

Did The Devil angle start the moment Cole broke his foot? I wouldn’t be against Kyle, Adam and Roddy revealing themselves as being behind the whole thing the entire time. Could even retcon those dog shit vignettes at Roddy’s house as them trying to keep Max off the scent. “We know they were shit, that was the point.”

I think it was the same episode, 27th September.

Adam Cole is the best answer, everything they’d done up to and including Wembley deserves to get put back on track. It was the best period in wrestling in 2023.

2 hours ago, Supremo said:

I’d love to know the story behind Golden Jets vs. Young Bucks. Match that came out of nowhere, completely undermining the Don Callis Family storyline. A title shot The Bucks won ages ago being on the line, whilst a load of other teams get a title shot on this very show because they did some run ins. What a mess. Kenny and The Bucks spending the last few months sleepwalking through everything they do on TV hasn’t helped, either. Nick Jackson having a moan on instagram has only added fuel to the fire. Something is going on with them backstage.

Don't really see that as a moan. Just stating a potential fact. It was meant to be FTR v. Bucks III, but FTR are meant to be the ones that suggested the quick drop to Starks/Bill before winning them back leading to the PPV. Instead of wading into the political minefield, it looks more like they've opted out of the rat race.

People forget that the big return plan from injury of Kenny Omega back in 2022 was the creation of the Trios Division. Long before Brawl Out, Hangman's promo on Punk.

Some of the more interested and engaged stuff that the Bucks have done has been with their mates or when trying to get Private Party or Top Flight over. Kenny's spent most of the year in singles matches with guys a decade younger than him.

I don't think Punk or remorse over not going to WWE have anything to do with their attitude. Bucks were talking about retirement and just being checked out of wrestling altogether on Swerve's podcast. They're more in their NJ Dad era where they're going through the motions playing the hits.

Adam Cole is the most logical and satisfying choice. The most obvious development isn't always a bad thing. Stories should be allowed to go in a natural direction rather than relying on twists for the sake of it. So I hope they commit to that rather than some random shit just because they think it's clever to surprise people.