Simple stuff you can't do

CleetusVanDamme

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, TheBurningRed said:

I also couldn’t hold a pencil properly as a small child either and had to have a one of those special grip things on it. Honestly would’ve been better chopping my right hand off in school than go through the embarrassment in front of the class.

I still can't write properly using a pen or pencil. I have the pen pointing away from me as I write. Teachers tried to get me to change my writing posture a few times, but it never took.

Reading this thread is making me realise there's loads of everyday things I'm shite with.

I've always used a razor. Got an electric shaver for Christmas last year and it was like those Youtube videos where teenagers try to operate a rotary phone. I didn't have a clue what I was doing. I sheepishly threw it in the cabinet and haven't looked at it again since.

I also can't brush my teeth without making a massive mess. The water and paste just doesn't stay in my mouth. I end up with it all down my chin dripping into the sink. I've tried using a smaller amount of paste, less water, angling my head back, but everytime I just end up getting it everywhere,

• Paid Members

+1 for writing like a spanner. I went to a nursery attached to a pie factory and the quality of education was about as good as you would expect. Was taught to hold a pen like a moron and have never been able to fix it, so have enjoyed decades of illegible writing and ink smudges all over my hands.

• Paid Members

I've been told that, even though I'm right-handed, I write as if I'm left-handed. I'm not entirely sure what that means, but generally I write with more of a crook in my wrist than I should have, probably held at a weird angle, and back when school forced us to write with fountain pens, I'd get ink all over my hand. 

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

a crook in my wrist than I should have, probably held at a weird angle, and back when school forced us to write with fountain pens, I'd get ink all over my hand. 

I read this too quickly and my brain interpreted "a crook in my penis" crossing with a mention of the wrist, and with a "fountain," and by the time I reached "all over my hand" I assumed I'd wandered into the wrong thread.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

Woah,  let's stop here a minute.

Was this a works creche type deal for staff or just coincidence?

Mum worked there for a time, but I ended up staying even after she had a new job so it wasn't a creche, more 'Nursey, sponsored by Bowyers pies and sausages' - mostly for factory workers but for outsiders too. It was shite. My main memories (besides holding pencils like a fanny) were getting a stomach bug and shitting myself terribly during naptime and the constant smell of gravy when we were told to play outside (less nice than you'd think after a while). Whole site got bought out and shut down years back and last I saw, the nursery building had a new lease on life as a choice place for people to shoot up.

• Paid Members
On 10/2/2023 at 11:48 AM, TheBurningRed said:

Forgot to add, I’m shite with scissors. I was the only one in my school class who couldn’t cut in a straight line and would fuck it up somehow. I had to be given special scissors which made me want the ground to open up and swallow me whenever I got given them. Probably my introduction to anxiety as I thought everyone was staring at me and talking about me. I didn’t get much better in school. I’m alright at it now but it does go wrong the majority of the time. That all ties in with my terrible wrapping now. 

I also couldn’t hold a pencil properly as a small child either and had to have a one of those special grip things on it. Honestly would’ve been better chopping my right hand off in school than go through the embarrassment in front of the class.

I'm awful at scissors as well, heck I can't even tear those perforated things without ripping the whole page. 

My writing is dreadful. I've scribbled down notes during NVQ meetings in such a hurry that not even I've been able to  read it afterwards. If I really take my time it's legible, but if I'm just writing stuff off the top of my head I can't keep up with my hand. I can kind of write with my left hand, and I use my cutlery left handed as well. 

• Paid Members
On 10/2/2023 at 3:45 PM, BomberPat said:

I've been told that, even though I'm right-handed, I write as if I'm left-handed. I'm not entirely sure what that means, but generally I write with more of a crook in my wrist than I should have, probably held at a weird angle, and back when school forced us to write with fountain pens, I'd get ink all over my hand. 

As a leftie, I do the curved hand thing. Apparently people do it so as not to smudge their writing as they do, but given the state of my chicken scratch I can't imagine that was my motive. I dunno, just feels right. 

rs=w:1240,cg:true

That's me, on the left. 

On 10/2/2023 at 9:56 AM, BomberPat said:

I was never taught how to shave either, and just winged it and it's fine. An electric shaver never quite does the job, so I always need to tidy up with a standard razor afterwards.

A recurring theme in all of this stuff for me that is definitely best suited for a throwaway forum thread and not in therapy sessions is "my Dad never taught me how". In the case of shaving, I was about to start college and couldn't face meeting a group of new people with the horrendous pubescent 'tache I would otherwise have been sporting. 

Yeah.  Without going too pop-psychology, so much of the stuff here is stuff that your dad (or parents generally) should have taught you at some point - shaving, DIY, tying a shoelace, changing a tire.

My dad certainly taught me how to shave, with an old-fashioned safety razor (i.e the dangerous ones with edges both sides).  It give you a far closer shave than those ones with multiple blades lined up, but it's easier to cut yourself.  He has shaved every day of his life, so I guess it was an important thing to him.

Conversely he never taught me anything about DIY but luckily one of my oldest friends had a Dad who built everything himself, so I learned stuff from him.

Mind you... a lot of it I reckon is embarrassment.  Because if you get to adulthood and don't know how to do something you feel you should know, it's quite embarrassing to ask someone to teach you.  The only way to learn DIY is to give it a try and fuck up, and learn from it.  My house is full of things I fixed and then needed to do again once I realised I did it wrong.  The only thing I won't touch is water - electrocuting yourself is one thing, flooding the house is another.

Edit: I'm a leftie non-curved hand person!  I write very slow as a result, it was a problem at uni during exams.

Edited by Loki

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Loki said:

Mind you... a lot of it I reckon is embarrassment.  Because if you get to adulthood and don't know how to do something you feel you should know, it's quite embarrassing to ask someone to teach you.  The only way to learn DIY is to give it a try and fuck up, and learn from it.  

Absolutely. YouTube was an absolute lifesaver for me when I was first living alone, and had basic DIY or domestic jobs to do that I'd just never been taught or had cause to do, but a lot of DIY stuff was just trial and error, and finding that I enjoyed some of it a lot more than I thought I would - something like putting together an Ikea bookcase, I find genuinely relaxing and enjoyable. Electrics are a little more hit and miss, but I'll give it a go.

Another one for me that comes up occasionally, on the "never been taught how to do stuff" front is that I lived outside of the UK for most of my adult life, so when I moved back to England a few years ago I didn't have a National Insurance Number or an NHS number, for example, and had to sort that kind of thing out without having much of a clue what I was doing. Things like doing tax returns, or any kind of paperwork and government-related admin, I've just had to learn all over again.