Simple stuff you can't do

CleetusVanDamme

• Paid Members
35 minutes ago, Lorne Malvo said:

I've got a mate who isn't a div by any stretch of the imagination, but he can't tell the time from an analogue clock.

There was a kid in my maths class in about year 8 who got called out for not knowing how to read a clock by the teacher. I can't remember how it came about, but it was dealt with in such a horrendous way by the teacher (Mr. Cornish, A* cunt) and he drew so much attention on the poor bastard, including taking the clock off the wall and bringing it to his desk, that the whole class was laughing at him, including me. I sometimes think back to that with chills. That must have been unbearable for him, and I feel ashamed at myself. 

Edited by gmoney

11 minutes ago, lanky316 said:

This is something that appears to be becoming more and more common. On Puzzling, there would be questions that popped up like "what is the time in the mirror?" or the numbers being replaced by a couple of letters with the question like "who is the author at 3:35" and it was surprising how often people got them wrong on a surprisingly high brow quiz. As it's becoming less likely that people come across analogue clocks it'll become more common people struggle with telling the time that way.

To be fair, that’s in a round where they’re, ahem, against the clock. So couple that with the pressure of a TV quiz and it’s understandable the odd wrong answer will slip through. 

• Paid Members

A ton of things. I can't really swim or ride a bike - like, if you put me in calm water I could probably just about doggy paddle back to shore, but anything more than that I can't do and have no interest in doing, I never enjoyed learning to swim, and don't like the sensation of being in or under water. Bike-riding I just never properly learned; my Dad did some pretty perfunctory "put the kid on a bike and give him a push" lessons, but when everyone else carried on riding I just wasn't interested. Again, I could probably do it now, but I'm hardly going to start trying on London roads. 

Probably loads more. I've never fried an egg. 

• Paid Members

I can't make a cheese sauce.

I also can't swim very well. I remember when I was in a church lads and girls brigade back in my teens, and had to enter a swimming race at a competition we were in. The other kids in the "freestyle" race all dived in and were pretty much finished by the time I'd composed myself after jumping in. I then proceeded to splash my way to the opposite end of the pool (probably the second time I'd ever swum a full length of a swimming pool) in what felt like half an hour. Remember Eric The Eel at those Olympics? I wish I could swim as well as he does. 

7 hours ago, BomberPat said:

I've never fried an egg. 

Never successfully fried one, or never tried?    Have you made a fried breakfast but not included eggs?  Have you ever boiled an egg?  Scrambled?

4 minutes ago, Loki said:

Never successfully fried one, or never tried?    Have you made a fried breakfast but not included eggs?  Have you ever boiled an egg?  Scrambled?

Dude, this is the ukff and this is a thread about stuff you can't do properly. You should consider us all lucky that frying eggs and swimming are the peak so far.

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, Loki said:

Never successfully fried one, or never tried? 

Exactly what I was gonna ask. It can't be the latter. Basic human curiosity would've led you try by this point. Then again, I worked with a 36yr old woman who'd never tried melon.

11 hours ago, deathrey said:

however I can t fo anything with a car other than put windscreen wiper fluid in and I desperately wish I knew more but I can't even change a tyre

Add this to the list too. I quite enjoy driving, but completely useless and uninterested by how they work or to fix simple issues. My mechanic (who, like most, I’m sure rips me off) gives me looks sometimes when I ask him questions. I should know more. 

• Paid Members
15 hours ago, Loki said:

I must have tried at some point, but possibly not since Home Ec at school or something. Until I got with my current partner, I never used to cook breakfast at home, if I were to have a fried breakfast it was because I was hungover and dragging myself to a cafe for it. Now that I cook one every couple of weeks, it's generally with scrambled tofu rather than egg.

I have boiled an egg, can confirm.