Simple stuff you can't do

CleetusVanDamme

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Tommy! said:

Like a digital one? I ask because I'm assuming that's what you mean and I genuinely can't fathom how that's possible unless you can't read or comprehend numbers at all.

Edit: even if it's one with hands if she can do the 12 hour can't she divide the hour by 2? 

Yes. She just gets confused really. For example 17:00, she just sees the 7 and assumes 7pm. I wonder if that’s to do with her dyslexia. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, TheBurningRed said:

Yes. She just gets confused really. For example 17:00, she just sees the 7 and assumes 7pm. I wonder if that’s to do with her dyslexia. 

It could be Dyscalcula is it called? Number blindness.

• Paid Members
Just now, Tommy! said:

There's apparently 3 types of people, those with Dyscalcula and those without it.

There's always, erm, how many is it again?

I've never shaved with an actual razor before (including standard disposable types, not just like... Sweeney Todd straight razors). I've only ever used an electric shaver. I hit puberty pretty late and, by the time I actually needed to shave at all, I felt too old and embarrassed to ask anyone to show me how. Seems a bit unnecessarily dangerous now, like the doorbell will go and I'll accidentally cut my throat. 

7 hours ago, textonly said:

I've never shaved with an actual razor before (including standard disposable types, not just like... Sweeney Todd straight razors). I've only ever used an electric shaver. I hit puberty pretty late and, by the time I actually needed to shave at all, I felt too old and embarrassed to ask anyone to show me how. Seems a bit unnecessarily dangerous now, like the doorbell will go and I'll accidentally cut my throat. 

I was thinking about that the other day. I'm exactly the same. Wasn't something I was shown when I was younger as my dad used electric and just never tried it after that really.

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, textonly said:

I just kind of blagged it and sussed it out myself. I was an early starter and stubbly during secondary school. 

• Paid Members

I was never taught how to shave either, and just winged it and it's fine. An electric shaver never quite does the job, so I always need to tidy up with a standard razor afterwards.

A recurring theme in all of this stuff for me that is definitely best suited for a throwaway forum thread and not in therapy sessions is "my Dad never taught me how". In the case of shaving, I was about to start college and couldn't face meeting a group of new people with the horrendous pubescent 'tache I would otherwise have been sporting. 

• Moderators

Im not sure anyone ever really gets 'taught' to shave do they? Like, i'd seen my dad doing it but he never sat me down and showed me.  I guess it might have been more confusing back in the pre YouTube days if you had literally never seen someone do it. But it's pretty much impossible to cut yourself with a cartridge style razor so the worst you'll do is irritate your skin. 

31 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

But it's pretty much impossible to cut yourself with a cartridge style razor so the worst you'll do is irritate your skin. 

I've managed it on at least 25% of my lifetimes face shaves, i think it's down to hating shaving and getting bored / distracted so i tend to shave really quickly to get it out of the way, it's usually on my jawline on the second go round as by that point i'm really fed up so just hacking away at my face. and unless i'm in the shower within twenty seconds of the shaving process ending my face goes bright red and itchy for about an hour.

• Paid Members

How long have you got?

I can't do a massive list of "normal" things relating to anything that needs co-ordination/awareness of the world around me. I'm one of life's great trippers, droppers, spillers and head-bangers. I can't, for example, pour liquid out of something with an allegedly handy spout like a measuring jug into another vessel without the liquid ending up running down the underside of the jug and going everywhere. I can't operate a shoehorn ; I understand what I'm supposed to do, it just doesn't work for me, and makes it no easier to get a shoe on than easing my thumb behind my heel to loosen the shoe. Anything regarding anything physical that I should have picked up since childhood, I can't do. Anything regarding water, electricity, the innards of a car etc that "the main of the house" is meant to look after, I'm screwed. I can drive and I can usually work out a fusebox but anything more complicated, I'm lost. The lawnmower gives me difficulties. I hate operating sofabeds/ottoman furniture as anything that involves a "knack" never comes easily to me, and there are a million things that where I can't tell if I'm not "doing it right" then before the thing is open/in position I'll have broken it before know I'm not doing it right. I can't clean ; I go after the porcelain in the bathroom with Domestos wipes regularly and I never feel the dirt actually comes up, it just moves from one spot to another.

I have no internal chronometer like some people have - "how long have we been driving?" "how long ago did they call?" - sorry, if I haven't made a note of the time prior or started the stopwatch app, I don't know. I can't do distance either - "how long is the walk from my house to yours?" - fucked if I know mate, even I know you live two doors down from my local Tesco or whatever, I have no idea. Unless I have direct frame of reference e.g. I can recognize when something is 25m away because I used to swim in a 25 meter pool. I know average mens walking speed is supposed to be 4mph and I once did a 4 mile walk from work to my then flat in 1 hr 15. So I guess I could do some maths on specifics but... "How long does it take to walk to the doctor?" I don't know. I've done it several times but each time I have to Google Maps how long its supposed to be then add contingency minutes, and I haven't yet retained that in my long term memory. Temperature doesnt mean anything to me either. When Mrs raid told me it was 12 degrees in the house once, I remember that was fairly cold. I remember changing flights in Dubai once and it was 37 degrees in the dark of midnight, and that was stifling heat. "Oooh, it's going to be 20 degrees tomorrow!" - is that hot? Or bearable? I just don't know. I was born partially colour blind which has its own challenges. Bright colours that are obviously red/yellow etc I'm OK with but thats many places on the spectrum that my brain simply cant distinguish if I'm looking at (examples) very dark green or very dark brown, pale pastel pink or pale pastel grey etc.... don't get me started on teal/turquoise/winter emerald. I've never successfully identified purple by sight, only by guesswork e.g. every time I see a wild flower that I think is either blue or purple, experience has told me that if I ask, it's more likely to be purple. But I haven't got a fucking clue.

On 9/24/2023 at 7:20 PM, WeeAl said:

Can't whistle.

On 9/24/2023 at 7:31 PM, SuperBacon said:

DIY.

On 9/24/2023 at 9:43 PM, Your Fight Site said:

Blow a bubble with bubblegum.

On 9/24/2023 at 11:27 PM, RIDDUM_N_STYLE said:

Ironing,

Pass, any of it.

Although I'm pretty competent with a corkscrew, which should be daunting for me but isn't.

Edited by air_raid

• Paid Members

Forgot to add, I’m shite with scissors. I was the only one in my school class who couldn’t cut in a straight line and would fuck it up somehow. I had to be given special scissors which made me want the ground to open up and swallow me whenever I got given them. Probably my introduction to anxiety as I thought everyone was staring at me and talking about me. I didn’t get much better in school. I’m alright at it now but it does go wrong the majority of the time. That all ties in with my terrible wrapping now. 

I also couldn’t hold a pencil properly as a small child either and had to have a one of those special grip things on it. Honestly would’ve been better chopping my right hand off in school than go through the embarrassment in front of the class.