AEW Saturday Collision

Hannibal Scorch

Agree with @Supremo - the increase in #PremiumLiveEvents has forced them to focus a little more. There’s still a bit of random on the cards, but broadly speaking the storytelling is becoming more and more linear which can only be a positive.

Popping my tinfoil hat back on for a second… they really are leaving Easter eggs all over the shop that all might not be what it seems with Cole’s injury. The dreadlocked Righteous Brother shedding the crutches moments after we saw a video where they’d written liar on Cole’s paper cut out? …hmmmm. I want to believe so badly that, at the very least, they’re hamming up the seriousness of the injury to surprise us with a quicker than expected return.

At least they’ve kept a focus on MJF/Cole, regardless of what’s going on with his ankle.

Juice Robinson is quality.

Jim Ross gave the worst ever call I’ve heard on commentary. “Cash Wheeler is so physical, he makes it look like everything he does offensively hurts…”

Well, you’d fucking hope so mate. Jesus Christ.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

1 hour ago, Supremo said:

Same goes for Julia Hart. Seemingly out of thin air she's suddenly clicking. Really promising stuff.

I’m still not feeling it with her. She seems massively miscast to me, and I still can’t get over the fact they had Willow lose to her on Wednesday. So many talented female wrestlers on that roster, and Khan is choosing to focus on someone so green? I don’t get it. 

On the whole I enjoyed this show, but I wish they’d do better at introducing the NJPW people. I have no idea who TMDK are, I don’t know much about Josh Barnett; and even Zach Sabre Jr is a bit of an enigma to me. They just kind of said the match was happening and left it at that.

They did well at promoting Ospreay, but I’m finding it hard to invest in some of the matches that were promoted last night because I know so little about the people in them.

The main issue with Julia Hart for me is that she is TOO cute.  Dressing her up as a teenage witch and making her do frowny face has only made her more cute really, and so it’s hard to not root for her.  

But with a female roster as anaemic as it is they’ve not got that many options.  She’s green but Brody King seems to help a lot out there with her pacing etc.

1 hour ago, Loki said:

Dressing her up as a teenage witch and making her do frowny face has only made her more cute really

Do you really need to tell us all your fetishes

Watching the Shane Haste promo reminded me that Vince McMahon thought it'd be a good idea to but him in a mask and in the Antifa faction

• Paid Members

I’m glad people are taking to The Righteous. They won me over pretty quickly on ROH. Great look, great theme song and of course very reminiscent of the early Wyatt family.  For this sort of creepy cult character I like it when they *think* (and can convince followers) they have super powers/hear the voice of god etc.  rather than them actually being supernatural. Also Dutch’s Bossman slam is a thing of beauty. There was one ROH match where a dude did a plancha from the ring to Dutch on the floor and he caught it and turned it into the bossman slam in one fluid motion. It was magnificent. 

Julia is still green but I like that they’re getting behind her and heating her up to challenge for Statlander over multiple episodes of TV. I’m all for a clear direction and nice simple wrestling booking. I also love the pairing with Brody so much. The coaching , what he adds to her entrance, the fact she can hide behind him if needed. Also seeing the big burly man being the manager of the tiny pretty blonde lady is a really fun visual twist on the usual wrestling tropes. Julia herself has improved a lot, she’s getting her reps on TV like Skye Blue, but she’s getting better every time. Her timing and pacing has improved a lot over the past few months. She gets good reactions, she’s extremely marketable and she’s growing into the role with every performance. 

I think she would be miscast if she had debuted for HOB, but she was a squeaky clean cheerleader who got turned by the dark side and has realised she quite likes it. I think she’s doing fine conveying that. 

I echo the frustrations about Willow and Athena not getting the big time main roster pushes they both deserve, but I still like what they’re doing with Julia right now. 

Edited by JLM

What an absolute delight Toni Storm has become in this run. I know people have a load of references to who she's using as inspiration but at points she's like Julie Walters in dinnerladies. Tremendous.

Edited by Chili

Love The Righteous's entrance music. Really simple but stuck in my head.

I do worry though, that they'll choke at the PPV and then quickly get shipped back off to ROH or just hang around not doing much of interest.

Giving them that big debut win over The Hardys though, hopefully indicates that they are set for something more. 

• Paid Members

Glad to see big Dutch doing well. I’ve watched quite a few Highspots shows where he’s been on and he’s hilarious and very charismatic. He was on that great FCW roster before NXT but unfortunately didn’t make it. This gimmick suits him though. I hope they both put in a great showing tonight. 

• Paid Members

I'm not getting it like the rest of you are. I think it might depend how much of a fan you were of the Wyatt Family, leading to being more interested in an act like this. I have no interest in them. I hope it changes if they are going to be regularly featured, but that they ended up in this spot, a PPV tag match against the hottest double act in the company (pre injury) is just a mental decision in my book. 

The Kingdom are just lucky who they happened to have a past with, as these two guys aren't much cop at all either. They play their parts well as lackeys, but that's absolutely what they are, this generations Edgeheads. MJF if he ever faces them should beat the pair of them with one Kangaroo Kick in the first 10 seconds and go back out for a spin on his boat. 

Who the fuck are TMNT, what was that promo all about and why did they not have turtle shells on their back? 

Didn't think this was much of a show at all really, way too much going on that I had little to no interest in. 

(Writing all this not having seen the PPV or this week's Dynamite yet - the best thing for the promotion may be some more regular big shows, but they should have expanded Rampage to 2 hours instead of doing Collision. There's too much stuff going on which is making it a nightmare to follow. If the regular PPV's meant that they were shorter, 3 hours maximum, then that would help a bit I guess.)

• Paid Members
24 minutes ago, WeeAl said:

I'm not getting it like the rest of you are. I think it might depend how much of a fan you were of the Wyatt Family, leading to being more interested in an act like this. I have no interest in them. I hope it changes if they are going to be regularly featured, but that they ended up in this spot, a PPV tag match against the hottest double act in the company (pre injury) is just a mental decision in my book. 

They're dreadful. 

The tag title change was unexpected, not least because it felt like a story was being told with FTR that has suddenly been cut short. Starks and Bjg Bill too; it didn’t feel like whatever they were doing would culminate in a tag title win.

On the whole though, this was a boring show. Match after match, the majority of them being utterly inconsequential. And week-to-week, so many plot points go ignored - where were Miro and CJ? Have The Gunn Club completely forgotten about the masked gang? What happened to Preston Vance in Mexico? Where’s Andrade?

It’s little wonder that very few people are turning out for AEW shows right now. They’ve assembled an incredible roster, but the company is a confusing mess right now. It’s such a shame.