CM Punk chat

LaGoosh

3 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Why did he never try this stuff when people would laugh in his face backstage in WWE? He's wanted to be a locker room leader for well over a decade now, he must be doing something terribly wrong if this many people still don't respect him.

He doesn't have any leadership skills. That's why nobody respects him. 

1 hour ago, mim731 said:

Obviously there's loads of money left on the table if he was to quit (I don't think he actually will, I suspect it's just him having a flounce). 

I wonder if that’s actually true, though? There’s only money left on the table based on his opponent, but if a large portion of the roster won’t work with him, or vice versa, the cash pile you reference becomes significantly smaller. 

If AEW signs Edge, Drew McIntyre or both, the need for Punk decreases quite a bit. Add Mercedes Monet and potentially Will Ospreay to the mix, and he’ll be forgotten pretty quickly.

1 minute ago, RedRooster said:

I wonder if that’s actually true, though? There’s only money left on the table based on his opponent, but if a large portion of the roster won’t work with him, or vice versa, the cash pile you reference becomes significantly smaller. 

If AEW signs Edge, Drew McIntyre or both, the need for Punk decreases quite a bit. Add Mercedes Monet and potentially Will Ospreay to the mix, and he’ll be forgotten pretty quickly.

I think this is the crux of it. If he can’t work with the big names, it’s broadly pointless. MJF is still on the table, but by all accounts Omega, Page, Bucks, Moxley and Jericho are all out.

If he was roughing up Nemeth and Jungle Jack, but still working Omega et al, it might be worth the drama. But it’s not if all were going to get us feuds vs Andrade, Malakai and Starks.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

I know I've said this before but it just seems like wrestling is a miserable experience for Punk. 

It feels like Collision was his best chance at being happy, a rich promoter who let's him book what he wants on his own show. Short of another one coming along and letting him run the whole promotion it just seems like he's never not going to reach a place where he can be fully content in wrestling.

Obviously nobody really knows what's going on, but in a weird way Punk's story feels like it's heading in the same direction as all those wrestlers who couldn't let go of something that brought them misery, only this time there's no substance abuse. 

I dunno, maybe that's just who he is and getting out of wrestling again wouldn't really make much difference. Maybe he's burning through those savings. Maybe he needs a creative outlet and there's nothing else that's worked for him. But, even though I've never particularly been a fan and think that he's vastly overrated as a wrestler, I do feel sorry for him. And I do wonder what it's doing to his mental health to constantly be in shit at work. 

• Paid Members

I'm far, far, far from a CM Punk fan, but surely he seems to be in the right (depending on who you believe) on this one? Told Perry it's not worth using real glass, Perry stuck two fingers up.  Supposedly failed by the international transport and made his own way to the show, then Perry goaded him on TV then apparently stepped up to him. 

Maybe the person everyone should be blaming is the spineless boss who just needs to get a grip and stop trying to be everyone's friend. I can imagine how the suspension conversation went..

"Ermm...Mr Punk....Phil...do you...ya know....fancy a few weeks holiday? .... Paid?....you can even use the family lodge to rest up? How does that sound? ... Please don't say no"

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, Version1.0 said:

So... Eric Cantona?

Nowhere near. Big Eric was much loved, and never caused so much bother that he ever came close to not being worth it, not even for the Kung Fu Kick Season. 

I'm thinking Mario Balotelli.

• Paid Members

I'm not convinced that CM Punk is some massive draw, ratings and attendance haven't exactly shot through the roof since his return and he's been gradually creating his own Codyverse except while the Codyverse was weird and frustrating the Punkverse is dull and depressing. If he goes I don't think it's going to be a big loss. Despite getting another show AEW still has too much talent with not enough TV time, there's plenty of exciting options to replace him on Collision. 

1 hour ago, LaGoosh said:

I'm not convinced that CM Punk is some massive draw, ratings and attendance haven't exactly shot through the roof since his return and he's been gradually creating his own Codyverse except while the Codyverse was weird and frustrating the Punkverse is dull and depressing. If he goes I don't think it's going to be a big loss. Despite getting another show AEW still has too much talent with not enough TV time, there's plenty of exciting options to replace him on Collision. 

And if you look at the likes of MJF, Britt, etc if you let some of the younger greener talents develop and grow they could quite easily unearth a few more gems in the vast roster they have. 

Before anyone says anything, I fully appreciate Britt has gone off the boil in the last year or so, but compared to where she was when AEW first started out to where she is now it's a big shift forwards.

1 hour ago, LaGoosh said:

The part that frustrates me most is that there shouldn't be. Punk has had some brilliant moments and feuds in AEW - and in different circumstances he'd have plenty more. But if the emerging accounts of Punk instigating the physicality are true, I don't see how you could keep him around. It's another overreaction to a comment that wasn't worth acknowledging. 

Collision will be just fine without him; and heck, maybe they could use the freed-up time to properly develop the women's division. Given where he stands politically, in a weird way, he might actually be quite pleased if his departure was the catalyst for that. 

28 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

Collision will be just fine without him; and heck, maybe they could use the freed-up time to properly develop the women's division.

I know this is off topic but, it's not gonna happen. It should. It won't. 

8 hours ago, Nick James said:

Maybe the person everyone should be blaming is the spineless boss who just needs to get a grip and stop trying to be everyone's friend. I can imagine how the suspension conversation went..

"Ermm...Mr Punk....Phil...do you...ya know....fancy a few weeks holiday? .... Paid?....you can even use the family lodge to rest up? How does that sound? ... Please don't say no"

Probably happy that people see him as trying to be everyone's friend. Rather than the typical boss trying to milk their staff for all they can get.

Punk's camp is already complaining that he's being ghosted by the company. Which has been a complaint by Punk during the last suspension and a point made by numerous other talents over the years. Out of sight, out of mind while he carries on running his figure fed.