First album/single you bought and why

Gus Mears

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Is that the one that Oasis and Everything But The Girl refused permission for Wonderwall and Missing, respectively?

I couldn't remember the vast majority of songs on it so I had to investigate. Seems like you're correct though. 

1. "Smurfs Are Back" – based on "No Limit" by 2 Unlimited. The repeated chant "no, no" from the original song is replaced with "yeah, yeah" leading to a climax of "Smurfs are back, yeah!"
  2. "Mr Smurftastic" – based on "Boombastic" by Shaggy.
  3. "I've Got a Little Puppy" – based on "I Wanna Be a Hippy" by Technohead. The high-pitched dance vocals of the original, containing blatant drug references, are replaced to comical effect with a more innocent tale about a dog. The high point of the remake is the refrain of "pooper, pooper scooper!"
  4. "The Noisy Smurf" – based on "It's Oh So Quiet" by Björk. The alternating loud and soft vocals of the original are ideal for this tale of a noisy Smurf who pops up to disturb the peace.
  5. "Find the Smurf" – based on "Love Is All Around" by The Troggs. The new version's lyrics bear almost no resemblance to the Wet Wet Wet hit, other than "We've looked all around" planted in the chorus.
  6. "Smurfland" – based on 1972 song "Living Next Door To Alice" by Australian group New World. The song has been covered by a number of acts including Smokie and Roy Chubby Brown
  7. "Our Smurfing Party" – based on "Saturday Night" by Whigfield.
  8. "Don't Stop Smurfing" – based on "Don't Stop (Wiggle Wiggle)" by Outhere Brothers.
  9. "Smurfhillbilly Joe" – based on "Cotton Eye Joe" by Rednex.
  10. "We're the Smurfs" – based on "Alright" by Supergrass.
  11. "Smurfland Olympics"- An original song about a Smurf sporting competition
  12. "Smurfing Ways"- An original song/rap about how kind the smurfs are
  13. "Mr. Blobby & the Smurfs" – based on "Mr Blobby" by Mr Blobby.
  14. "Football Forever"- An original football anthem with no reference to Smurfs other than "it's a Smurfing good game" in the chorus
  15. "Smurfing World"- An original ballad.

The most depressing thing however is learning what year this came out and how old I was at the time of buying. The shame! 

• Paid Members

Oh God. This is just terrible for me. I'd had stuff bought by parents and that, but from my own money I can say that the first album I bought was The Divine Comedy 'Cassanova'. Kind of. I went to Woolworths and tried to buy the single 'Something For The Weekend' on cassette tape (fucking tape!!), but when I got it home there were so many B-sides. Turned out the cashier had put in the album instead. Fair enough, I actually quite enjoyed it.

However. The year after I deliberately bought Aquas first album thinking it would be ... fun. It was just shit. And considering my music tastes tend to run towards punk, it was an odd choice anyway.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, ReturnOfTheMack said:

However. The year after I deliberately bought Aquas first album thinking it would be ... fun. It was just shit. And considering my music tastes tend to run towards punk, it was an odd choice anyway.

Turn Back Time's a banger. 

Single was My Prerogative by Bobby Brown. He was my hero at the time. I was convinced aged 8 he was better than Michael Jackson and Prince. Turns out he was not but it is still a cracking slab of New jack swing.

First album outside of Now whatever was fucking To the Extreme by Vanila Ice. I loved Ice Ice Baby and thought a whole album of that would be amazing. Unfortunately it was total shite and even as a kid, I knew immediately I had fucked up spending all my pocket money on it.

• Paid Members

First album I bought myself was RHCP By The Way. Can't stop was on TV seemingly non stop and I really liked it, and knew of a couple of thier older hits, so saved up small change and took it down the bank one Monday after school (chemistry iirc) to drop in the bank, withdrew the cash at the atm and headed to a shop I think was called music zone or music land in the shopping center and bought it. 

Loved it, and when other singles came out a few people wanted a copy off us. 

I hadn't listened to it in years, must be over 15, when they were discussed as being a bit shit on here last year so I dug it out and, yeah a bit shit, but not awful and loaded with nostalgia for me still. 

First single was either It wasn't me by Shaggy, tainted love by Manson or White Flag by Dido for reasons I can't remember and purchased from where I can't remember, but they are the only singles I've ever owned so it must be one of them. 

Edit: by the way was on tv loads, not can't stop. I mean can't stop was but that was later. 

Edited by Tommy!

• Paid Members

First single was Beat Surrender by the Jam from Woolworths in Horncastle. 

I was always more singles than albums as a youth, and I'm pretty sure my first album wasn't until 1985, Brothers In Arms by Dire Straits. Obviously the Mod had left me by this point and as a world weary 13 year old, Pub Rock was where I felt most at home. 

• Paid Members

Much to my dad's cruel delight, my first single was Living on My Own by Freddie Mercury. Likely the 93 remix, I'd have been five, I can vaguely remember it being top of the charts and on all the time. Why? Same reason I had like a 52 year supply of PG Tips, for the love of monkeys!

Michael Jackson's History is the first album that I can remember having. Was gutted there was no Smooth Criminal.

25 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

First single was either It wasn't me by Shaggy

Respect. It's terrifying that we were close to living in a world where it didn't exist. Thank god for Napster.

The first record I ever bought was Greatest Hits (the 1977 version) by Black Sabbath. One of my older brothers got me into bands like Sabbath, Iron Maiden and Judas Priest at an early age, and this record seemed the simplest way of hearing their best songs without having to buy all their albums on limited pocket money. The artwork is awesome, sadly the advent of CDs mean you don't often get covers this detailed any more.

spacer.png

It's an extract from a picture called The Triumph of Death by Pieter Bruegel the Elder

spacer.png

Christ…..

So the first album(s) i that was given off Santa, circa 1988 when i was 7 , was an Enya album “Watermark”(twas the peak of Orinoco Flow-mania) and a George Michael album “Faith”.

The first album i bought when my own money was the New Kids on the Block album “Hangin Tough” circa 1990. The first single i bought was “All the Small Things” by Blink 182 in 1999.

Truly a mixed bag.

Edited by Browser Brady

https://e.snmc.io/i/600/w/cbcd11cb04c3f215da4bf2dabfbb07ff/4090337/the-outhere-brothers-boom-boom-boom-Cover-Art.jpg

I honestly have no idea why, maybe my older cooler cousin liked it cos it was rude. But if it was rude, 9 year old me didn't get it. My first concert was All Saints in the point depot in 1998, so I don't have much musical credibility to cling to!

• Awards Moderator

I was quite lucky getting into music as a kid as I was bought singles by relatives and also given a load of original presses of albums/singles from the 60s, which saw me through. Still got loads of them now, but that’s a boring thread for another time.

But the first single I bought with my own pocket money was an odd one.

Obsessed with Terminator 2, I opted not to go with the cool kids and buy You Could Be Mine but instead went for this monstrosity because my stepdad loved Steve Wright in the Afternoon:

32C96F24-2AAA-4FCB-A670-4CDB3FD5A142.jpeg.608e77fce73147b1b48baee503782702.jpeg

Even as parodies go it’s abysmal, but a 12-year old me thought it was great. Here it is in all its glory:

JFC.

And on the album front, it was Blur’s debut effort. I got into them properly in the years that followed, but I vaguely recall buying this because the There’s No Other Way video had a teacher from Grange Hill in it and I loved Sunday dinners.

BF470F2D-C698-4529-AC71-C4C4C83BDFE1.jpeg.826e0a07eb9755774a0dfc8df7c3c5ca.jpeg