First album/single you bought and why

Gus Mears

• Paid Members

Ah, fuck. This was my first single. The less said the better. 

I think I redeemed myself on the album front though, I bought both of these in Woolworths the day after Boxing Day 1994 with some vouchers I got from my aunts and uncles:

In_Utero_(Nirvana)_album_cover.jpg.6b13b6f14713d79fe76b2a22073ce590.jpg

TLC_-_CrazySexyCool_album_cover.png.7bff66be3971b548ee6de3e464972ad2.png

I was already into Nirvana and had played my Nevermind tape (taped from my dad's CD) to death. Heart Shaped Box was my favourite song so In Utero was always going to be my first album after I got a CD player for Christmas. 

I can't remember why I picked CrazySexyCool, on the strength of Waterfalls and Digging On You I think, but I thought it was a brilliant album. From grunge to R&B, I always tried different kinds of music as a kid and still do. 

The Verve- Lucky Man. Cardboard case CD. 10 year old me gave it my best Ashcroft swagger up to the till to purchase this 1997 (or was it 1998) classic in HMV. My musical taste was molded in those early years thru my last 80s/early 90s Manchester scene obsessed Uncle who couldnt go 5 minutes without mentioning how good the Stone Roses Spike Island gig was. I can only be thankful to him as my Dad, who grew up on ELO and Thin Lizzy, had remarried at this point and only listened to Dina Carroll and Celine Dionne. Christ.

Edited by Fanny Pack
Could have been 1998?

I'd owned plenty of compilation tapes and records as a youth but i think the first single i bought was Swing the Mood by Jive Bunny & The Mastermixers, i didn't actually ask for it,, i just went to the counter at Asda and asked for the record at number one, and that was it. 

First album i actually paid for was Manners & Physique by Adam Ant, i'd been a bit of an Adam Any fan in my preschool years, my folks had the Prince Charming album and i loved it so when i had a paper round and my own money and i saw that Adam actual Ant had a new album out i got on the 377 bus to Sutton Coldfield and bought it from WH Smiths.  Room at the Top was great but i don't think the rest of the songs had much of a listen after the initial spin.

First album I ever bought with my own money was Vs by Pearl Jam on cassette. The first CD albums were 'How to make friends and influence people' by Terrorvision and 'Dog Man Star' by Suede.

First single was Bluetonic by The Bluetones which was always something of a personal anthem/mantra for me until the singer got outed as a fucking danger.