First album/single you bought and why

Gus Mears

• Paid Members

Quite lucky that both of mine weren't that tragic.

My Dad bought me a CD copy of Iggy Pop's Lust for Life because we used to listen the The Passenger all the time in the car when he'd pick me up for weekends. Still a top album and the opening chords of Passenger are one of those almot Proustian memories where I well up every time I hear it now he's gone.

Single wise Kernkraft 400 by Zombie Nation. Again, parental influence to some extent here. Mum always had trance on in the car and was still big into clubbing alternate weekends. Most Sunday night's after Heartbeat were spent having a 'rave' in the annexe we lived in while listening to Dave Pearce's Trance Anthems, me thrashing round like I was having a seizure while dressed in a sparkly gilet my gran got me for Christmas.

My Mum's was Remember You're a Womble so feel like I'm doing OK here.

• Moderators

First album I bought was the Batman soundtrack on record. Tbh I thought it was pretty crap and I had buyer's remorse. It just looked so cool with the Batman cover.

I redeemed it though with the first cd I bought, which was Use your illusion 2, which I bought because You Could Be Mine was all over MTV and I loved Arnie (even though it was at least a couple years more before I actually got to watch T2).

I’m sure I got singles for birthdays and Christmas but the first single I bought with my own money was Living In America by James Brown. It helped that it was from the best Rocky film (Some people will say Rocky 3 but they’re also bedwetters). The first album I got with my own money was Under A Blood Red Sky by U2. 

Great topic! 

Now I don't know if they were the first I bought but there are two standouts in my musical appreciation and forming my love of rap.

Firstly, Hey Lover by LL Cool J, which is a fairly inoffensive slice of mid 90s R&B with some fairly risque lyrics but most of those went over my head.

Until you get to the bonus track on the CD single I Shot Ya Remix which has Keith Murray start off with "I'm here to make a dollar out of fifteen cents, and let my balls hang like I'm on the toilet taking a shit" and my 10yo mind was blown.

Then Foxy Brown starts banging on about "pussy popping" "raw dogging" and being "disease infested" and I was sold. Rap was the one for me.

Then I remember getting Fugees Killing Me Softly and the bonus track was Cowboys where I first heard the use of the word "motherfucker" 

Hearing swearing at an early age is amazing, and these two have always stuck in my mind, and I think I have them to thank for my love of hip hop.

First album? I think it was Jollification by The Lightning Seeds, which I still maintain is a decent album.

• Paid Members

First single I bought with my own money from a shop was tragically I'll Be There For You by The Rembrandts, also known as the theme tune to Friends. I also bought Common People by Pulp around the same time, but alas afterwards, so I forever have to answer the question sheepishly. 

The first album I bought was Like You Do: The Very Best of The Lightning Seeds, which being a best of, I'm not sure counts. I can't remember what it would have been otherwise though. It might be The Slim Shady LP, but that came out over a year later. 

EDIT: It was This Is Hardcore by Pulp, which I thought was really shit and I hated. People tell me it's actually really good, but I can't shake my 13 year old disappointment that it wasn't the catchy sleazy fun of Different Class and His N Hers (it was just sleazy) so I've never gone back to it. 

Edited by gmoney

• Paid Members

First single was Stand by Me, Ben E King on a 7”. First CD single was Let’s Get Ready To Rumble by PJ and Duncan AKA.

First album that wasn’t a NOW compilation was Nevermind by Nirvana. Kurt Cobain passed and after reading about it a newspaper I decided to go and pick up an album from Our Price, and my music listening changed over night.

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Then Foxy Brown starts banging on about "pussy popping" "raw dogging" and being "disease infested" and I was sold. Rap was the one for me.

Similarly remember when I bought a copy of Kool Keith's Sex Style from the bargain bin at Reckless Records in Soho as I was getting into rap. The title track (which is an absolute banger) is just incredibly lewd, thought it was the coolest thing in the world.

spacer.png

Picked it up in HMV as an eleven year old in 2002, near certain I wouldn't be sold it. Unsurprisingly the girl with the nose piercing working behind the counter didn't take the parental advisory sticker to heart when accepting my 20 euro note in exchange for Iowa's favourite beer keg bothering circus act and I took it home, proud as punch. 

This was my maiden (not them) voyage into piss-your-parents off metal but I kind of misunderstood that it was only taken seriously in the American midwest and deep south, by and large, and especially in Ireland the general reaction was more of a bemused "You're into satan now, are 'ya?" jibe from mom and dad. A feeling further enshrined when we went to Salou on holidays that year and I went right out with mammy and daddy to the pubs that first night where the guy handing out flyers for one particular pub over-enthusiastically gave me the devils horns and went "PEOPLE EQUALS SHIT YEAH MAN!" for the whole street to hear as my dad broke his bollocks laughing. 

Still, Slipknot have a definite legacy in turning people my age onto stuff that was at once extreme and still incredibly accessible. 

Somewhere, Mr. Seven smiles. 

I'm not entirely sure what the first single I bought was, but I know for a fact that the first album was The Invisible Band by Travis. I saved up a portion of my lunch money over a few weeks in order to buy the album, and then, finally it was mine. 

I didn't actually have a portable CD player, but because I lived in a rural area, I was worried they'd stop selling the album by the time I saved up enough money to buy one. Thankfully, my lovely granny took pity on me and took me out to buy one the following week.