Jay Briscoe RIP

Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members

I was very late into the Briscoes. Not watching ROH much over the years I knew the names, but not the wrestlers. Watching their series last year with FTR was eye opening and they put on a series of fantastic, hard hitting matches. Such a shame to lose him as it looked like they were going to be a focal point of the new ROH.

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

Awful news. Whatever people thought of him after the tweet, nobody can deny he was a hell of a wrestler and The Briscoes have provided entertainment in this business for 20 years by being an unbelievable tag team. Their occasional battles with each other never disappointed either. 

RIP Jay

I'm gutted. I saw Jay Briscoe and NXT trending this morning and thought something crazy had happened but not this.

The fact that he was at the top of his game delivering those matches with FTR so recently makes this even more tragic. Can't even imagine the loss his brother must be feeling right now.

I know there was controversy over the years but you can see the outpouring of respect from so many in the industry and the fans. He leaves an incredible legacy for sure.

He was one of those guys that always felt different and you just had to watch when I started looking at WWE alternatives. And even though that became less over the years I'd always dip into random matches, especially the past couple of years, and be amazed at how great they still were. Arguably better than ever in some ways.

• Paid Members

I think the outpouring of love and nice stories about Jay Briscoe just shows how much he changed in recent years and tried his hardest to make amends for past life choices. 

Was never an ROH watcher even in its pomp, but The Briscoes have to be one of the biggest tag teams to never make it to WWE. 

Rest easy, Jay.

• Paid Members

Absolutely heartbreaking news.

The Briscoes were heavily featured when I first fell in love with Independent wrestling in the early 2000s. He and Mark being wild nutters was a staple on those third, fourth or fifth generation VHS tapes I’d order from Strong Style Tapes.

I dipped out of Indy wrestling once I went to Uni and just assumed the Briscoes would be completely washed by the time I saw them again nearly twenty years later. The damage they were taking back then, it was impossible to imagine they were still going, never mind wrestling the same style. Then I saw those FTR matches and they rocked my world. Three all-time classics. If Time Warner had allowed it, which felt closer to happening than ever, they would have been huge stars on the national level. They felt tailor made to have endless TV bangers in the AEW tag division.

By the standards of when wrestlers die, he seems to be getting more a bigger outpouring than most. Sounds like people really loved him, which is nice to hear considering the original comments that got him so much heat. All reports are that he seemed to truly take on board the criticisms he received and aimed to change for the better.

The stuff I’ve seen about him being a great father is what gets me more than anything, though. Thirty eight with a young family. Jesus. What a tragedy. Hug your loved ones.

Edited by Supremo

Tragic for anyone to die so young. I'd forgotten just how young the Briscoes were when they first started. Feels like they've always been around at that top indy tag team level despite previous incidents. That's an impressive staying power and level of consistency that few from that place and time have managed. Only name that springs to mind is Danielson and obviously he was retired at one stage. 

I read the Meltzer tweet as Tony Khan was in a car accident when tweeting about Jay's death and got very confused.

I was never an ROH guy so they only really came into my world when they did ICW at the hydro a few years ago. I remember the fanbase being very in arms about that tweet and a whole rainbow flag display being arranged amongst them in protest. Looking into it I’d seen that he had apologised and made a massive effort to learn and educate himself on ways he likely didn’t have any access to as he grew up and led to the beliefs he once had. Anything I have seen around it has always sounded sincere and honest and not the iOS Notes apology you know had nothing behind it, he meant it and lived it and changed. he is a good example of judgement and growth and that is the legacy he leaves to me is to treat others better who make mistakes as we all have them in us. 

• Paid Members

Horrible news. @Supremo's post above summarises my thoughts perfectly. My enjoyment of pro wrestling can be broken up into two eras really, firstly as a young kid watching WWF and then later having discovered indies around the time ROH started. Recently getting back into it via AEW, I was amazed to see The Briscoes still going and still putting on amazing matches. In a funny sort of way they've been a constant throughout my adult life as a wrestling fan and I was just getting excited by the idea that I'd be watching them again in the new ROH and possibly even in AEW. Gutted.

• Paid Members

I didn't realise he was that young. it's a terrible thing to happen. I'd seen some of their matches in RoH back in the day, and they'd had something of a resurgence of late, even having a little run and feud with the Good Brothers in Impact. 

ROH was the first independent I really got into as a teenager and The Briscoes were a huge part of that. Obviously the controversy around them a few years ago left a real bad taste in my mouth, but it had seemed the last few years that they had really turned their lives around and had a different outlook on life.

Anyway, I always loved them in the ring and I was glad the FTR matches showcased to a lot of new fans or those who had switched off from them just how good they were. 38 is no fucking age at all.