AEW Rampage Thread 2023

Merzbow

1 hour ago, Infinity Land said:

This is for next week's show. For those wondering this is the first Mistico who signed with WWE to become the first Sin Cara. Once he ended up in CMLL again he eventually got the name back.

F8QtVaPWcAA82f2?format=jpg&name=large

Poor fella is gonna get injured by change in the wind or something.

• Paid Members
24 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

What the hell is the pound for pound crown?

It's not a thing, but it refers to the titles they hold in CMLL - Mistico is the NWA World Historic Middleweight Champion, and Rocky Romero is the NWA World Historic Welterweight Champion, so it's a nod to them both holding titles in different weight divisions, which means they'd be unlikely to compete in a singles match in Mexico. I'm pretty sure this is their first ever one-on-one match. 

It's a potentially huge get for AEW - Mistico is one of the biggest box office draws of the 21st century (Luchablog brilliantly explained him as "the biggest casual fan draw, as long as your idea of a casual fan is more expansive than 'somebody who watched Monday Night RAW in 1998'").

I don't expect he's going to turn things around overnight by any means, but he'll draw some curious eyes, especially if this is more than a one-and-done thing. AEW has been stop-start with their luchadores, as they have with pretty much everybody else, but having one of the biggest names in lucha (even twenty years past his best) will hopefully continue to grow that aspect of their business, and their Hispanic viewership, and will almost certainly pick up a bigger live audience for this show.

The most interesting aspect is that I'm almost certain this is the first time that AEW have booked a CMLL-contracted talent. The relationship between AEW and AAA has been rocky, but seemed to be on steadier footing with QT Marshall winning the Latin American Championship, and now I'm not so sure. This might be Tony Khan having an opportunity presented to him and just running with it, with CMLL happy to let him book Mistico so long as it's against someone else who works CMLL (which Romero does) and that no AAA talent appear on the show. If it were a full-fledged CMLL working relationship, I doubt Rocky Romero would be Tony's first choice of opponent for Mistico. But if this is laying the groundwork for shifting their relationship from AAA to CMLL, I'll on one hand be disappointed - I watch more AAA than CMLL, and think some of their younger talent have more upside for an American market - but on the other side, it opens up a lot of possibilities for future matches. 

2 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

It's not a thing, but it refers to the titles they hold in CMLL - Mistico is the NWA World Historic Middleweight Champion, and Rocky Romero is the NWA World Historic Welterweight Champion, so it's a nod to them both holding titles in different weight divisions, which means they'd be unlikely to compete in a singles match in Mexico. I'm pretty sure this is their first ever one-on-one match. 

It's a potentially huge get for AEW - Mistico is one of the biggest box office draws of the 21st century (Luchablog brilliantly explained him as "the biggest casual fan draw, as long as your idea of a casual fan is more expansive than 'somebody who watched Monday Night RAW in 1998'").

I don't expect he's going to turn things around overnight by any means, but he'll draw some curious eyes, especially if this is more than a one-and-done thing. AEW has been stop-start with their luchadores, as they have with pretty much everybody else, but having one of the biggest names in lucha (even twenty years past his best) will hopefully continue to grow that aspect of their business, and their Hispanic viewership, and will almost certainly pick up a bigger live audience for this show.

The most interesting aspect is that I'm almost certain this is the first time that AEW have booked a CMLL-contracted talent. The relationship between AEW and AAA has been rocky, but seemed to be on steadier footing with QT Marshall winning the Latin American Championship, and now I'm not so sure. This might be Tony Khan having an opportunity presented to him and just running with it, with CMLL happy to let him book Mistico so long as it's against someone else who works CMLL (which Romero does) and that no AAA talent appear on the show. If it were a full-fledged CMLL working relationship, I doubt Rocky Romero would be Tony's first choice of opponent for Mistico. But if this is laying the groundwork for shifting their relationship from AAA to CMLL, I'll on one hand be disappointed - I watch more AAA than CMLL, and think some of their younger talent have more upside for an American market - but on the other side, it opens up a lot of possibilities for future matches. 

So it's for the Light Middleweight Title then? 

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Excuse my ignorance, but Místico is the rubbish Sin Cara right?

He was the first Sin Cara, yeah. I think it's unfair to tar him completely with that brush, though. At the risk of doing a "good in Japan", he was just a horrendously poor fit for WWE, working there actively worked against most of his strengths. 

2 minutes ago, Infinity Land said:

While there might be greater long-term implications. I'm looking at it as more ticket sales next week ain't great. What's something that can draw in a Texas market. Just like RVD's use in Grand Rapids.

It's definitely a "book Mil Mascaras for the '97 Rumble" move, to bring in a big name luchadore in the hope of shifting tickets in Texas. But it's still interesting that the move wasn't to book any of the luchadores already on their books, or to bring in somebody from AAA - Psycho Clown, for example, is perhaps the biggest draw in Lucha right now, and has never competed for AEW - but to turn to CMLL. It's definitely one to keep eyes on. 

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Yeah, and Rocky Romero is the rubbish Rocky Romero. What a way to get me to not watch a show.

Yeah mate, can't believe this novelty one time singles match with a big lucha draw is taking time away from the usual regular classic must see can't miss Rampage cards. FUCKING OUTRAGEOUS. 

• Paid Members

If we all went by their appearances in WWF/E only, I would have said Dusty Rhodes was one of the worst wrestlers I ever saw. Mistico has been a draw in Mexico since the mid 00's, you don't have a career like that if you can't work.

Also, Rocky Romero is one of those all rounders which are key to the success of companies like AEW. Good hand in the ring, but the guy has great relationships with other companies and that makes sharing talent much easier. Didn't he have a big hand in getting Forbidden Door getting the go ahead?

• Paid Members
40 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Yeah mate, can't believe this novelty one time singles match with a big lucha draw is taking time away from the usual regular classic must see can't miss Rampage cards. FUCKING OUTRAGEOUS. 

Are we aggressively taking down everyone's flippant comments now?