AEW Rampage Thread 2023

Merzbow

8 minutes ago, Infinity Land said:

With that interview trying to do 5 things at once I completely missed that the Royal Rampage this year was 1) For a TNT title shot and 2) And it won't be until All Out.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

I had no idea myself until I saw an Instagram post from AEW.

On 7/17/2023 at 12:37 PM, RedRooster said:

Itā€™s demonstrably not ā€˜a gambleā€™ to push women in 2023. If anything, itā€™s a gamble to pursue the current approach - eventually someone will call AEW out on this or a well-organised social media campaign, and thatā€™s a PR issue Khan would presumably rather avoid.Ā 

Couldn't it just be the case that AEW doesn't have a female wrestler who is enough of a star? It's all well and good saying they should be pushing women's wrestling in 2023, but if there's no potential stars worth pushing, what's the point? Pushing it and sticking them in meaningful positions on cards to tick some boxes? Even if the viewership drops and the arena crowd use their matches as fodder for piss breaks and visits to the merch stall?

When people point towards WWE and what they've done, they've went down that route because they've uncovered someone worth putting in that position. Be it Becky, Rhonda or whoever. But if they didn't have those charismatic individuals that the fans cared about somewhat to begin with, they likely wouldn't have moved down that route.Ā 

I get that it's on the promotion to position the talent properly. I get that. But they still need someone that has that something about them.Ā 

I don't think AEW has that at the moment. There's potential in Willow, but I'm not sure that fans see her as anything more than some happy-clappy entertainment while they're waiting on the real stars to come on.Ā 

WWE have (and have had) female wrestlers who exude star quality. Can we really say that there's anyone on the AEW female roster who you could stand next to Becky lynch, Rhea Ripley, Charlotte Flair or Rhonda Rousey and who'd look like they belong there?

I don't think they have that at the moment. Hopefully it changes over time, but if we're looking for someone to change the fortunes of women's wrestling on AEW I don't think they're currently on the roster.

Jamie Hayter was the closest to getting there, she looks amazing and can work like no one else in the company and while the mic work isn't the best she's still solid and believable. Shida was proving herself too during the no crowd era, was still over as hell when people came back but they seemed to totally drop the ball with her at some point.

Yeah, Hayter's as obvious a top female star as there's been since Bianca Belair. Ā  When they announced the PPV in the UK a lot of people thought she had a shot at headlining it. Ā Injury came at a bad time.

11 hours ago, David said:

Couldn't it just be the case that AEW doesn't have a female wrestler who is enough of a star? It's all well and good saying they should be pushing women's wrestling in 2023, but if there's no potential stars worth pushing, what's the point?

I wouldnā€™t say so. Britt Baker is very over, even now - and her womenā€™s title win over Shida could easily have main evented a PPV. Thunder Rosa is another one - she was incredibly popular, and her half-face painted look really makes her stand out. I suspect sheā€™s someone who would be a top female star in WWE, if she ever made the switch. Jade Cargill is another one. Sheā€™s striking the moment you see her, and they never really got everything they could have out of her unbeaten streak. Out of anyone, I reckon she had the best chance of developing into a major draw. I also donā€™t see any reason why Shida couldnā€™t have turned into a draw. She carries herself well, is good in ring and has a great look and entrance. Finally, Iā€™ll always maintain that Nyla Rose has been underutilised. Sheā€™s charismatic and has improved a lot in ring. A Nyla Rose vs Jade Cargill could have been made to feel like a very big deal, but instead sheā€™s been made to feel like a female Kane; and was burdened with a partnership with Vickie Guerrero that just didnā€™t work.

Hayter has already been mentioned, and I would agree with what people have said about her also.

Edited by RedRooster

Britt is seen as a star. All Access was largely built around. PR appearances she's often front and centre. She doesn't just get a hometown hero feel good match, but the events are promoted in advance with her as the focus. Problem is in ring right now. When Saraya debuted it meant a rare non-title feud getting time on TV. As we know that led into the neverending 'homegrown' v. Outcasts. When Hayter went down injured, there was a chance to revive it a little by having babyface Britt trying to get vengeance and win back her friend's title. Which could sow some seeds for Hayter's eventual return.

Anyone remember what she's done the last couple of months? 1st round exit from the Owen. lost the 4 way for no.1 contender. No real storylines. She's just been a spare part.

Ā 

• Paid Members

Yet another thoroughly enjoyable Rampage. Another really nicely put together battle royal with plenty of fun interactions and teases. Loved the reaction for Daddy Magic , and the big hoss off between Hill, Cage and Haeger. Cage being a bit sad that his fellow large man got swerved was quite sweet. He wants the dream team to ride again as much as we do. Ā  Swerve is at the height of his powers right now though. Itā€™s great that heā€™s now also the king of the battle royal closing stretch but Iā€™d like him to do some wining.Ā 
Ā 

Acclaimed match was there. Caster giving his chain to the kid was nice.

Ā Statlander and Shafir was great given the time constraints. Hard hitting with good intensity, felt like a contest, as Cornette would say. Ā I could see towards the end of the Dark/Elevation run that Shafir was getting better and I think sheā€™s a good match up for Statlander, trying to counter her power with strikes and grappling.Ā 
Ā 

Two perfectly fine TV matches and a quality battle royal. Easiest hour of wrestling TV you could ask for.Ā 
Ā 

Ā 

Edited by JLM