AEW Rampage Thread 2023

Merzbow

It's Saturday and you know what that means.. you watchwrestling the morning after the show.

What a fucking start to the first Rampage off the year, that tag match was outstanding and then followed by an excellent fiery promo from Hangman Page.

I'm not sure how big the crowd is, lots of the arena is in darkness but the people who were there were hot for the show, sounded great.

Edited by Merzbow

I'd really like to see them do more with Top Flight, they're brilliant fun to watch and it would be nice to see another home grown tag team rise up the ranks. 

The Hangman promo was also outstanding, as @Merzbow pointed out. I don't think he was given mic time anywhere near enough during his title reign, and that was the missing ingredient when it came to how things went down. He's one of the best babyface promos around, he's just brilliant at this. 

I really want to see him beat Moxley. 

• Paid Members

I wasn't a huge fan of the show this week. Mox/Bry vs Top Flight was good but not as good as the Mox/Claudio match last week. Top Flight are good though, a feud with Jarrett/Lethal might be just what they need.

The womens tag was exactly the type of match I hate on Rampage. Too long to be a squash but still a squash, just a waste of time. Baker continues to regress in the ring and is hard to watch these days. Should have put two of the Japanese women who are always on Dark in there and had something more competitive. If they do end up doing Baker/Hayter vs Saraya/Banks it has potential to be a disaster, Hayter is the only one of the four that is consistently good.

This Preston Vance stuff...good intentions and all but the AFO/LFI stuff has always been shite, the new name is confusing and it just feels like TV time that could be used for someone with real potential like Powerhouse Hobbs.

Main event was your typical good Darby Allin match but Bennett is so bland and barely on TV so it was impossible for me to care.

Edited by LaGoosh

Honestly I could do with less Vince/WWE lines from Max. I personally find ripping on ROH and TNA funnier.

It's obviously going to be lost in all the McMahon shite but this week's AEW has been a blast imo, enjoyed all three shows. 

I really liked the women's tag match. They really need to start letting wrestlers outside of the usual few shine and The Renegades impressed me in that match.

The women's division feels much healthier now than it did only a couple of months ago.

Back to ROH with you Mike, won't be missed. "He's so brooding" from Matt got a chuckle out of me though. 

BoTB V was easily the best one yet imo. 

The opener was fun and another nice spotlight for Top Flight again. Even though they started the BCC, it felt really weird seeing Mox & Danielson tag again. They've been pretty clear of each other since Anarchy At the Arena.  The only meaningful in-ring interaction since then actually facing each other at Grand Slam.

Going in I was expecting DMD v. Renegades to be a brief affair to build to the tag match in LA. Instead we got the most competitive match we've seen from the Renegade Twins since they debuted. Also, might be the first time they've worked more as a face tag team. They easily could have done this with one of the many cobbled together tags from singles wrestlers. I'm starting to think the Women's Tag titles might be a goer this year. 

I quite like Perro. I'd watch out Fuego, Serpentico, and Uno!

Darby main event was the standard feel good Rampage main. Had to have someone fill in for OC with him on BOTB duty.

People have mentioned the Darby, Swerve, Danielson attention on their PNW AEW debuts, they've also worked in Aubrey during the Tag Title matches. Acclaimed v. JJ+crew I wouldn't want to drag this out as it has been a fun feud. Hopefully they have something decent for The Acclaimed after this, while I can see dimishing returns in the JJ+crew if they try and repeat the same formula with other teams.

Jade v. Skye Blue was another match that was more competitive than I was expecting. I remember a year ago where Jade started to make her title defenses on taped Rampages with plenty of smoke and mirrors. Think this matched highlighted the progress since then. That's not to say it was anything special. 48-0 and over a year with the title. Don't see things lasting much longer. Which will be a blessing to mix things up.

OC All-Atlantic title defense = Rampage go home happy main event.

Eddie/Ortiz and the House of Black. Please just get it in the ring! HoB's return destroying people was great, the spooky promo riddles have been miserable by comparison.

• Paid Members

Has Jade wrestled SHIDA yet? That could be an interesting one for win number 50 with SHIDA being the first woman to reach 50 wins. I bet she could get a decent competitive match out of her as well. 

Aye. my first Rampage in months. Saturday mornings are back. 

I know it's only a recent blip, relatively speaking, but given the other crowd are back on more uncertain ground and AEW was more or less an unfulfilled promise last year from that 2021 it's been great timing for them to put out their best week of TV since forever. 

Keep it logical, push who the crowd are into, and we all have something to actually look forward to this year instead of the past and weird backstage shit. Lovely. 

• Paid Members

I popped huge during the first ad break of Battle of the Belts, with Excalibur throwing out a fucking Garth Marenghi's Darkplace reference that went over everyone’s head. “I know writers who use subtext, and they’re all cowards!” Brilliant!