AEW Rampage Thread 2023

Merzbow

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, Supremo said:

I popped huge during the first ad break of Battle of the Belts, with Excalibur throwing out a fucking Garth Marenghi's Darkplace reference that went over everyone’s head. “I know writers who use subtext, and they’re all cowards!” Brilliant!

When I heard that I actually wondered whether some other show or comedian had stolen that line more recently, as I couldn't believe that Garth Marenghi would be a cultural reference that the Man In The Mask would pull out. I Googled it and it looks like it's made its way into the world of memes, so wouldn't surprise me if that's how he knew it.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Arch Stanton said:

When I heard that I actually wondered whether some other show or comedian had stolen that line more recently, as I couldn't believe that Garth Marenghi would be a cultural reference that the Man In The Mask would pull out. I Googled it and it looks like it's made its way into the world of memes, so wouldn't surprise me if that's how he knew it.

I worked with a few American wrestlers who loved Darkplace - I think it actually had more of a cultural impact as a bit of a cult hit there than it did in this country; it used to air on Adult Swim at midnight on Fridays, so was on telly there more than it ever was here.

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, BomberPat said:

I worked with a few American wrestlers who loved Darkplace - I think it actually had more of a cultural impact as a bit of a cult hit there than it did in this country; it used to air on Adult Swim at midnight on Fridays, so was on telly there more than it ever was here.

Ah, that makes sense then! 

• Paid Members

The Tag Title match on Battle of the Belts was like a metaphor for this entire promotion.

I started it being a snarky little prick, wondering why guys were adhering to tags in a match with no DQ, but by the home stretch I was having an absolute blast and realised shitty little nitpicks like that don’t matter at all when the end goal is to give you such a great time. Tremendous fun.

I hope this isn’t the end of Jeff Jarrett on television. I’d be bang up for a feud with Best Friends. Jeff interacting with Orange Cassidy and Danhausen is money.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Chris B said:

Excalibur is clearly a fan of British comedy stuff - and has good taste. He's also referenced Pratchett a few times, including explaining to Taz once that something was 'a pune, or a play on words'.

Jericho being a "wizard" seemed to give Excalibur plenty of material to work with on the Pratchett front - he got in a "a wizard's staff has a knob on the end, it does" at least once too.

55 minutes ago, Supremo said:

I started it being a snarky little prick, wondering why guys were adhering to tags in a match with no DQs

Head canon for me on this is that even though it's no DQ, there's still only one legal man - so getting in the ring and both of you double-teaming your opponent is all well and good, but only one of you can get the pin, so it's better to just keep them involved rather than risk goading your opponents to also get in the ring at the same time. Also, a referee is still empowered to enforce the rules and force people back to the apron and so on, they just can't disqualify you for not listening. 

• Paid Members
45 minutes ago, The King Of Swing said:

I'd be well up for Jarrett Vs. Sting just for the novelty of that match happening in 2023.

They'd probably have a banger, as well. 

I'd like to have Billy Gunn and Dustin Rhodes in the mix too.