AEW Rampage Thread 2023

Merzbow

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Considering they had to follow the I Quit match, that Main event was nothing short of a miracle. They managed to do a wild, weapon-based brawl in a way that still set it apart from what Christian and Cope had done forty minutes earlier, massively overdelivering.

It came to mind watching this main event just how wrong those podcast experts are. The types who say things like 'doing two piledrivers in a match weakens the DDT in another match' and all that shit. Here you had a blood-soaked intense feud-ender which involved a 2x4 filled with nails being driven into another blokes cock and bollocks. Their logic would dictate that the rest of the show would play out to silence as nothing could match those levels of violence, yet people were still going wild for a completely different type of hardcore match in the main event, and were even marking out for Shibata doing a sleeper hold and a kick.

It's almost as if those people are chatting absolute shite.

Also, Cody Rhodes once beat Sammy Guevara for the TNT title on a Christmas day episode of Rampage, but it was during that hot potato TNT title spell so it's no surprise nobody remembers it.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Rampage 20/03/24

Bullet Club vignette was great. Jay White had no business even pretending to be a babyface for a few weeks there. He is such a natural dickhead

Acclaimed promo was rough. They spent a lot of it talking about more over people who weren't there (Daddy Ass, Bullet Club Gold, MJF) to a very half hearted crowd response. They also couldn't seem to decide if they were doing funny zinger promo or serious pissed off promo and sort of did a bit of both. 

Best Friends/Callis family was very good, definitely a few notches above your typical Rampage undercard fare. Hobbs looked great, I don't get to see him wrestle enough. They didn't play up Grumpy Trent here, which surprised me a bit as they've been doing it for quite a while now. The fact they seem to be back on the same page only makes me think the Trent turn is coming sooner rather than later. 

Shibata straight up whupping someone's ass in 2 minutes was fun. Also the jobber's big clothesline got a "Take a look!" out of Daddy Magic. If I was jobbing on Rampage I think that'd be my main goal. 

Rocky Romero vs Takeshita was a belter. Takeshita's offense is consistently some of the best I've ever seen, but against smaller opponents it is breath taking. He makes it look so effortless that you don't even need to suspend disbelief, like if the opponent didn't co-operate he'd still throw them about just as easily. Rocky was fantastic here too, got the crowd behind him doing the classic stick and move little guy vs giant stuff, a really good underdog. 

Main event was bloody brilliant. Another slobberknocker of a Willow and Stat streetfight. I still don't ever want either of these two to turn heel or against each other. Statlander has lost a lot by her standards since Stokeley has come on baord, so I guess the idea of them dumping Stokeley and him bringing in Megan Bane or another newcomer in response is still possible. Or just put him with Mercedes. 

Julia and Skye Blue both excellent as well, with Skye standing out in particular for me. Was gutted when the announce table didn't break for the Code Blue, as it was possibly the cleanest Code Blue she has ever hit. It looked perfect. Still looked devastating and quite likely more painful onto the unbroken table though. Everything else they nailed. Skye and Julia don't feel like they're just rushing between their spots any more; they both take their time and are confident in their personas enough to let things breathe a bit. Even in this match which was wrestled at a fast pace with lots of big spots, I noticed Skye at one point stopped to revel in the "you sick fuck" chants after the tacks spot with a great devilish look on her face. Definitely wouldn't have done that six months ago. 

Best Rampage in recent memory. 

Edited by JLM

I didn't watch all of rampage but I did watch the street fight. I really liked it. I do a do like hardcore wrestling so I'm a bit biased.

Really hope they dont turn willow heel. She is one of the few who can't pull of that happy face persona. Don't think being a heel would suit her 

@JLM You seem like a positive aew fan that's why I'm tagging you.

Do you think should  concentrate more on female wrestlers who can have great matches over good talkers? It just seems that the crowd really gets into those matches more than matches with wrestlers are are good talkers but not the best in the ring 

Edited by no user name

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

I wouldn't boil it down to either of those as the determining factor on who to sign or push.

It depends what else they have to offer as well, there are plenty of other qualities a wrestler can have that can make them good at pro wrestling outside of the ability to cut a ten minute promo or wrestle like Bryan Danielson. Then of course how they're presented and whether or not they're given compelling things to do, how you emphasise their strengths and cover their weaknesses etc. can be as important as how talented they are at any particular aspect of performing. 

Julia Hart is only OK on the mic, has improved a ton in-ring but is still young and inexperienced, but her presentation and booking has been spot on and she's got more out of the House of Black gimmick than the three guys in the group. She also has a great look and has massively grown into the role over time. There are wrestlers who are better promos than her AND better in-ring, but I wouldn't necessarily push them over her. 

Willow is very strong in-ring and a decent promo,  but more important than both is that  her whole personality is just magic. Infectiously joyful and likeable and has a ton of presence and charisma. It's not like when Raquel Rodriquez was told to smile a lot because that makes you a babyface. With Willow she comes across as genuinely thrilled to be out there every time.  She also has a very organic on-screen friendship with Statlander that only amplifies how likeable she is. and is a powerhouse wrestler in a division that doesn't have many of those, so has that going as well. She also has a unique look and is naturally beautiful. 

It's a bit of this and a bit of that. My hot take is that wrestling promoters should strive to sign and promote the good ones but, CRUCIALLY, give less time and money to the rubbish ones. It's really quite easy I don't know why they don't do it. 

I also watched Rampage: 

Rampage 29/03/24

Butcher and Dustin was textbook pro wrasslin. Butcher methodically picking the babyface apart and getting the crowd riled up, Dustin drawing sympathy then firing up to make his comeback. It was fine. 

Bullet CLub skit was fun nonsense. A different spin on the home invasion angle. Get those trios titles off The Acclaimed lads. 

Purazzo vs jobber was also fine. Deonna notably wrestled this one with a bit of a chip on her shoulder. Would like to see her be more ruthless with the jobbers. Doesn't need to go full Athena, but make her exhibitions more like Serena Deeb's where she totally dismantles them. 

[quote= Me after watching Dynamite] Hope they also play up the fact that Osprey beat Shibata more convincingly than Danielson, knocking him out with his finish instead of a quick roll up. [/quote]

Didn't have to wait long for that eh. Again, enjoying the increased use of video packages and vignettes lately. 

Mariah vs jobber was also fine. She's really throwing herself into the adoring Toni Storm tribute act, I think it's good fun. Toni acknowledging her and slowly letting her get more involved feels like they're getting closer to the turn. 

Best bit of Zak Knight's promo was Lexy's discomfort at Harley Cameron playing with her hair. Cool Hand's initial smack to the face of Zak Knight as he ran in was immensely satisfying. Looked and sounded great. This ongoing C-story remains one of the best reasons to watch Rampage.

The content of The Righteous promos remains a bunch of profound-sounding but ultimately vacuous nonsense, but for this act that's pretty on brand. I continue to enjoy these vignettes. 

Ah Daddy Magic in local Quebecois hero mode. Papa Magie! Comedic heel, father figure to Danny Garcia, fiery underdog babyface, hilarious colour commentator, the man is such a consumate entertainer and he deserves better than what has to be the worst theme song in AEW. Regardless, this was loads of fun. Crowd sounded better than they did on Dynamite thanks to Daddy Magic and it made for a great little TV main event. I love Daddy Magic. 

Fairly skippable Rampage but I did enjoy the main event. 

Edited by JLM

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Wrestlemania gave me one hell of a backlog. Still not up to Dynasty yet but almost there. Rampage round up:

Rampage 05/04/24

Skipped Malakai Black vs Chris Daniels.

Roddy vs London Lightning was loads of fun because the London, Ontario crowd really got behind their man. Similar to Jake Haeger in Oklahoma, it massively elevated the match and made it a surprise highlight of the show. 

She's been around for ages but, after watching ROH, Leyla Hirsch challenging Julia felt like an NXT call up. 

Serena Deeb vs Trish Adora was solid. I hope Deeb gets something to do soon, I'm a fan. Deeb should definitely keep using the Paradise Lock, it's a perfect fit for her. Appreciated Riccaboni namedropping Milano Collection AT. 

Saraya and Harley are having such a blast doing these Rampage skits. Those two taking the piss out of Alex Marvez while Zak Knight gurned in the background looking like an Aardman Animations character was quite a scene. He also did a promo. 

Main event was good stuff. Doing this elimination style instead of a fatal four way made it much better. I knew Danny Garcia was winning but the order was harder to call. Rare for me to credit Action Andretti with anything, but he and Garcia had great chemistry and the ending with them as the final two was very strong. 

Rampage 12/04/24

Pissed off Orange Cassidy was great, as was John Silver being total dickhead. The Chuck Taylor tease was good. I bought it. Best Friends break up is so sad.

Leyla Hirsch/Julia Hart wasn't much of a match. Was hoping Hirsch would get a little flurry and throw some suplexes at least. Ah well.

Cool Hand vs Zak Knight, the big match at last. This was good but it didn't have heat because nobody watches Rampage. A real shame as Cool Hand put in a great fiery performance and I have loved following this saga. 

Good main event. I was hoping Jay White doing his thing would make a Matt Sydal match more engaging for me and it did. Love me some Jay White. 

It sure was a Rampage alright. 

Rampage 20/04/24

Komander vs Isaiah Cassidy vs Lee Johnson vs Rob Van Dam is extremely Rampage-y. 4/20 elimination match on 4/20.  Because RVD smokes weed, you see. I hope these four way elimination matches on Rampage continue, infinitely preferable to a fatal 4 way. This was fun. Crowd very hot for RVD, Isaiah and Quen being annoying dickheads to add more heat, cool to see Komander and RVD have a solo showdown at the end. They didn't quite nail everything but they were close enough and were trying some ambitious stuff. RVD's AEW appearances are a consistent delight. I love it. Lee Johnson was also present. 

Yuka Sakazaki vs Emi Sakura. Was so happy when I saw the graphic for this match, but it was ruined almost immediately by a horrendous looking accidental fall from the top rope to the floor which legit injured Sakazaki's leg. Should have stopped it there, but she seemed determined to walk it off and finish the thing. It did allow Sakura to show us again what a seasoned old pro she is though, throwing cans of Woo Energy about, teasing throwing them into the crowd and denying them, jaw jacking with the ref etc. It was awkward, but if Yuka was determined to continue it was still very quick thinking to buy her recovery time. A real shame and I hope Sakazaki is OK. 

Ruby and Cool Hand pregnancy announcement was just lovely.

Main event was fine. I love Daddy Magic but I don't care about Kyle O'Reilly vs The Undisputed Kingdom AT ALL.