AEW Rampage Thread 2023

Merzbow

8 minutes ago, JLM said:

Who is it? I remember reading they’d signed Megan Bayne and she’s been under contract for a while despite continuing to work for Stardom. Do they have other secret-ish signees out there too? 

It's Megan Bayne i'm thinking of. She's finishing up her Stardom run this weekend. She needs an entry point into the company to avoid coming in cold, and this seems like a good place for her to fit in. Just avoided naming them in case anyone thought it a spoiler.

Kamille (former NWA Champion) was also seen backstage at a recent taping. Just said to be visiting friends. She'd long been rumoured to be going to NXT but that hasn't happened yet. Either one could do with Stokely as a mouthpiece.

• Paid Members

Jeff Hardy vs Darby Allin 2 was an enjoyably rough match. I think I preferred it to their first. And Statlander/Aminata was a nice surprise, they really laid into eachother. If the show was these two matches with say a bonkers lucha match and a decent squash match it would have been a cracking hour of wrestling. 

Aminata seems pretty good. Ditch some of the inexperienced girls, bring over Athena, Leyla Hirsch and maybe 2 or 3 others onto the main shows and we could have a proper women's division going on.

• Paid Members

Enjoyed Mox vs Moriarty. Moriarty's buttery smooth technical stuff was lovely to watch here, excellent performance from him. 

Loved Daddy Magic being the only guy on the desk who likes Don Callis. 

Takeshita vs Daniels was a tidy squash, Takeshita looking phenomenal as ever. So done with  the never ending Callis Family/Jericho saga though. Kyle Fletcher doing some of his best work as a singles guy and showing unreal potential, Takeshita an utterly spectacular performer who could be putting on classics with half of the roster, and both of them have Chris Jericho coming up next. I hate it. 

Action Andretti's "guy who drinks water" gimmick is so dreadful that I'm almost starting to like it. He sure can drink a bottle of water real fast. Faster than I can, certainly. Well done mate. 

Anna vs Ruby was a bit rough but they kept it short and the hometown crowd and the shenanigans meant it did the job. Poor Cool Hand is a pretty dumb guy to even ask Anna Jay if she's involved in these shenanigans. 

Main event was peak Rampage in the best way. What a whacky line up of guys. I thought Kip Sabian was great as the weasel in this match, trying to screw over Butcher at every turn. This was loads of fun. Good pace, silly bits, fancy high spots and enjoyable twists and turns throughout. 

Winner of a Rampage this week, delivered exactly what I'm looking for from this show.

• Paid Members
40 minutes ago, JLM said:

Loved Daddy Magic being the only guy on the desk who likes Don Callis. 

Daddy Magic saying he liked Don Callis and Christian Cage then going 'eh...' when asked if he liked Nigel McGuiness popped me. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Rampage 02/02/24

Top Flight vs Private Party was once again a fine tag team match. 

Jarrett family photoshoot scheduled for next week and Double J is running the meeting? Sign me up for that. 

Starks/Bill vs Dark Order was good fun for a five minute TV tag. Good heat for it and Starks looked great. Starks and Bill clear babyfaces here. Don't think the fans have ever really wanted to stop cheering for Ricky. 

Willow/Queen Aminata was another solid showing from Aminata. Not as good as the Statlander match but she is consistently looking strong in these matches. I hope to one day learn if she can speak.

Ruby/Saraya/Harley/Stat/Willow/Stooley segment was some whacky business. Not sure about the Harley Cameron crazy person gimmick. I was initially glad to see her given any sort of role post-QTV, but if it is just going to be a random one second gag every time that feels like a bit of a waste. She is a very good talker and has a ton of personality, so her doing a one note crazy character isn't getting the best out of her in my opinion. 

OC using wrestling tropes to summon Roddy was funny. 

Main event was pretty damn Rampagey. Mascara Dorada 2.0 is a pleasingly graceful high flyer and I thought Chris Daniels had a top showing as well. Highlight for me though was Hechicero coming in at the end. Liked the weird body language, odd poses, the violent step up knees and the whacky holds. Instantly intrigued to see him fight Danielson after that. 

Been enjoying Rampage lately. Plenty of variety, good mix of silly stuff, skits and perfectly watchable TV matches, and the past couple of main events have been something fun and different that I wouldn't expect to see on the other shows. 

• 2 weeks later...

Spoiler I guess although it doesn't give away anything - 

Spoiler

Poor Jeff, legitimately knocked out but apparently okayed for concussion after the match (if you believe AEW after the Matt Hardy thing a few years ago).

• Paid Members

Rampage 09/02/23

Undisputed Kingdom vs Best friends and Mistico vs Matt Sydal were both fine TV matches. 

Wllow/Stat vs Outcasts was fun. Willow and Statlander are the perfect team to cover the Outcasts' in-ring limitations, and Saraya and Harley doing low stakes Rampage heel shenanigans/sabotaging the Ruby/Cool hand romance has been entertaining me lately. Nice to see some development with Ruby walking out on the match and attacking Harley. 

No signature wall of text show  review for this one. I'd rate it normal out of five. 

Rampage 16/02/24

Sammy vs Jeff Hardy was another strong showing from Jeff. He has looked especially motivated on this recent run, and as I've said before I think using his bitter veteran arc to put over AEW guys in quality singles matches has been a perfect use of him. Poor guy as well, I was relieved to see Sammy do the ladder Swanton through the table instead of Jeff, but then Jeff gets smashed in the head by a shooting star press insstead. Not sure how Jeff managed to finish the match, it looked bloody horrible. 

Been enjoying hearing Brian Cage get promo time for a few weeks in a row. He stumbles at times but the fact that Hook's opponents have to do 99% of the talking in their feuds with him has given him chance to do a bit more on the mic. He's pissed that the fans cheer for the punk kid Hook instead of a proper pro wrestler like him. That'll do fine. 

Private Party promo was not great. I dunno, I feel like the Street Profits did their schtick better. Hard to compete with Montez Ford though. Mox and Claudio promo was much better. 

Doing the Rhodes/Von Erich team up was a cute idea. Ross Von Erich successfully completed a dropkick and an arm drag in this one, making it comfortably the best performance I've seen from him. 

Toni Storm once again delivering solid gold, though my favourite bit was Mariah May's smile at being told she did a good job. Bless her. 

Aimnata vs Anna Jay continued Aminata's run of strong performances. Happy to see her finally get the win. Thought the clips from her interview with Renee were also great and I see she also has a promo on this week's ROH episode. Won't have to rely on Kevin Kelly's research to gather small nuggets of information about her any more. That's good. 

Willow/Stat/Stokeley - As I said about the Dynamite stuff, I like the idea of babyfaces being courted by a heel manager and having to deal with him cheating on their behalf and they addressed that here. 

Cool Hand secures the date! So happy to see this. As @Chili says, I want Saraya and Daddy Magic at nearby tables in terrible disguises running interference. Get hokey with it, we've waited a long time for this. 

Main event was excellent Rampage Main event material. Big silly clusterfuck tag match is absolutely fine. Crowd loved it, a welcome Jarrett appearance and a lovely feel good ending with the father and son 3:10 to Yuma. 

Much better than last week's episode. 

• Paid Members

Mox saying 'what am I thinking?', Claudio getting lost in his promo and rambling an absolute load of old bollocks that didn't make sense, then Mox going 'yeah, that is what I was thinking' was the highlight this week. It was a perfectly Rampage episode of Rampage, otherwise!

Chili's favourite background AEW storyline continues to deliver the goods. No idea what Saraya's bro can do, but CHRIST he's a scary looking fucker. Saraya has also been brilliant recently as this high school leader of the gang manipulating gobshite. More more more!!!

Edited by Chili

2 hours ago, Chili said:

Chili's favourite background AEW storyline continues to deliver the goods. No idea what Saraya's bro can do, but CHRIST he's a scary looking fucker. Saraya has also been brilliant recently as this high school leader of the gang manipulating gobshite. More more more!!!

Why the fuck have they signed Zak Knight? He's not particularly good on the mic or in the ring. He looks like a scary fucker because like the rest of his family he's a fucking mentalist. I worked with a friend of the Knights, who said he invested in WAW (he didn't like wrestling but he figured it could make a profit and it did) and he said he had no clue how Zak wasn't in prison. 

Being All Elite now is pretty much slang for being a cunt.

• Paid Members

I love Ruby and Ang together.

I'm no fan of the Knight family by any means (Saraya bragging about her brothers doing people over with snooker cues on the Austin podcast is still an all-time 'what?!' moment for me) but I've actually liked Zak's appearances on ROH and I feel he could be decent in a mid-card bully type role. 

I enjoy a mad multi-man opener as much as the next Rampager, but found this one quite boring. I don't want to go all Bully Ray 'whats the story??'  but at least give me any reason why a team as odd-looking as Bounty Hunter and Luchas or Sydal & Private Party exist. 

Mariah May is very good and I love Roddy Strong matches so the rest of the card got a thumbs up. 

• Awards Moderator

When Renee interviewed OC on Dynamite she listed all his friends that Roddy and Co had taken out, but didn’t mention Danhausen. Ah, I thought, deliberately leaving him out so he can save OC after the match.

Then he was saved by Jake Hager. Ah ah, I thought, but last we saw, Danhausen has Hager’s hat! This is going somewhere.

Rampage, out comes Hager with a mascot. Ah ah ah, I thought, clearly Danhausen is in this costume and will reveal himself complete with the hat.

Then OC comes out but he has the hat and the mascot turned out to just be a mascot.

I like that hat. But where is Danhausen!