AEW Rampage Thread 2023

Merzbow

• Paid Members

897DC13D-808F-45EC-8CA6-FAFEE6165131.thumb.webp.9576993dcc453a0aa3cd0198a988c4fc.webp

Oh definitely Jeff, it’s a travesty. Everyone buzzing off back to back quality episodes of Dynamite to start the new year was like “could have used a shit Hardys match tho.”

Quen: Sorry Jeff, no Rampage weirdos on Dynamite, it’s kind of a private party.

Jeff: But you let Brother Zay in! 

Quen: Yeah I said no Rampage WEIRDOOOS, we’re allowed to have one.

Edited by JLM

Whenever the Hardys say something dumb or bitchy, I just remind myself that both Edge and Christian are getting their own almost weekly segment on live tv. Generational rivals and they're both older than the Hardys :) No wonder the Hardys are bitter. Can't blame age on them being punted to the outskirts.

Going to give a pass to the cake to the face, just because of Angelo Parker coming out and wrestling in it.

Hardys promo was even worse than I imagined.

Eddie's completed the set with 4 recent wins against the BCC members. When the BCC started they would have done something with that. Approaching Revolution he's going to need something to get stuck into. He's more than just someone that can have good matches.

Let it go

Edited by Infinity Land

• Paid Members

At best, the Jeff Hardy stuff is a really terrible work, having guys bury the TV show they’re on and killing off whatever novelty the Hardy Boys have left by portraying them as crybaby losers.

At worst, it’s the greatest example yet of how entitled they are. Given chance after chance, always being forgiven regardless of what bullshit they’ve put everyone through, they’re so far gone they can’t even acknowledge how lucky they are to even be employed in 2024. Pair of washed, useless dickheads.

Thoughts and prayers for Mark Briscoe, getting sucked into the Hardy Cinematic Universe. Just look at him! The eyes of a man realising he’s looking at a six month stretch of absolute shit. Bad matches, bullshit contract storylines and endless mumbling vignettes in stairwells.

IMG_7422.thumb.jpeg.9f9b785a93ca6ed6186d98b73786e2f7.jpeg

Someone needs to save the poor bastard. Send out the HOOK signal.

Edited by Supremo

I just watched rampage from last week. I haven't watched it in ages. I thought it was OK. Didn't like the last match but thought the rest were OK. Did wonder why the crowd were heavily booking during the anna jay v shida match. Googled it and it was a bodge. Shida didn't kick out in time and so the referee had to delay to tap. I personally think in those situations its better to do a 3 count. It wasn't a major story so would of been fine I think 

• Paid Members

Rampage 12/01

Kingston/Yuta was fine. Probably a bit long for a routine title defense, found my attention wandering, which doesn't often happen with Eddie's matches. All of the other matches were just kinda fine. Very routine rampage. 

I appreciated Cool Hand coming out to the ring still covered in cake. 

I'd already seen/read people's reactions to the Briscoes/Hardys bit but man it was still sad to watch. This is how you follow up Mark Briscoe's amazing Continental Classic performance? By making him Brother Zay? Fucking disgraceful. 

Edited by JLM

On 1/14/2024 at 8:18 AM, Supremo said:

IMG_7422.thumb.jpeg.9f9b785a93ca6ed6186d98b73786e2f7.jpeg

Someone needs to save the poor bastard. Send out the HOOK signal.

No one is going to convince me that those aren’t wax models of the Hardys. Matt looks like he is melting. 

• Paid Members

Chris Jericho vs Matt Sydal for 12 minutes? Are you out of your god damn mind? 

Moving on...

Penta vs Anthony Henry was a fun and breezy little Rampage filler match. That's how you do it chaps. 

I feel like Queen Aminata is on every show I watch at the moment. This might have been her best showing so far. Statlander is of course excellent and a cut above most in this division, so it's not too surprising, but I thought Aminata showed up too and this was a quality match. In the past month though, I've seen Aminata on three Rampages, three episodes of ROH and a Dynamite, and all I know about her is that she's from Guinea, West Africa. I know she wrestled for AEW in the past but seriously if you're high enough on her to feature her this often can we at least get a little vignette, a pre-tape interview or something? 

Stokeley can be amusing but I still don't like the idea of turning Willow and Statlander against each other. If they were going to do that I also don't get why they did the singles match as a throw away pre-show match. 

Jay Lethal feel free to leave the Jarrett family any time you like buddy. He is a very bad actor. No Jeff in the skit this week. Lame. 

Darby Allin vs The Ghost of Darby's future was a match. Darby did his best. Jeff did what he does. So is Jeff complaining on social media worked-shoot-bollocks then? is he supposed to be doing a salty washed up wrestler gimmick on Rampage whilst doing a salty washed up wrestler complaining about being Rampage on the internet gimmick at the same time? Cooool. 

Edited by JLM

4 hours ago, JLM said:

Stokeley can be amusing but I still don't like the idea of turning Willow and Statlander against each other. If they were going to do that I also don't get why they did the singles match as a throw away pre-show match.

I don't think they will. There was recent news of an AEW signing finishing up dates elsewhere. I can see them being Stoke's new client when he gets spurned for a final time.

Big love to Renee Paquette. She adds wonderful subtleties as an interviewer that makes her seem like a human being capable of thoughts. Loved her giving Saraya the evil eye when she clocked on that they're fucking about with Ruby Soho.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Infinity Land said:

I don't think they will. There was recent news of an AEW signing finishing up dates elsewhere. I can see them being Stoke's new client when he gets spurned for a final time.

Who is it? I remember reading they’d signed Megan Bayne and she’s been under contract for a while despite continuing to work for Stardom. Do they have other secret-ish signees out there too? 

3 hours ago, Chili said:

Big love to Renee Paquette. She adds wonderful subtleties as an interviewer that makes her seem like a human being capable of thoughts. Loved her giving Saraya the evil eye when she clocked on that they're fucking about with Ruby Soho.

Renee makes the shows for me. Utterly brilliant at subtly explaining an in joke or backstage political thing, whilst saying very very little. Plus I love the looks she gives people when they go on about Smashing up Mox...the look of 'have you met my husband?' Makes me chuckle.