AEW Rampage Thread 2023

Merzbow

• Paid Members

Whilst still a solid, fun match, I’d be lying if I didn’t say Mistico looked a bit slow and old. Nowehere near the level of Kota Ibushi aging fifty years in the space of months, and still better than he ever looked as Sin Cara, but considering this new generation of lads like Vikingo and Fenix? It felt like AEW came around ten years too late for Mistico to properly break America.

Most note-worthy thing on this show was the Sky Blue stuff. Originally, I just thought it was the girls shooting their own angle because of how little was ever actually written for them. But now the replays, vignettes and commentary have made it official. She’s been, “infected,” by the mist and is getting spookier and more heelish by the week, as not-so-subtly displayed by her eye makeup. At the best of times, this lore shit belongs in the bin, but did I hear the commentators mention the same transformation is happening with Willow Nightingale, too? Willow?! You’re going to turn Willow into a spooky heel?! The most natural babyface of the last decade?! You’ve got to be fucking kidding me.

1 hour ago, Supremo said:

Most note-worthy thing on this show was the Sky Blue stuff. Originally, I just thought it was the girls shooting their own angle because of how little was ever actually written for them. But now the replays, vignettes and commentary have made it official. She’s been, “infected,” by the mist and is getting spookier and more heelish by the week, as not-so-subtly displayed by her eye makeup. At the best of times, this lore shit belongs in the bin, but did I hear the commentators mention the same transformation is happening with Willow Nightingale, too? Willow?! You’re going to turn Willow into a spooky heel?! The most natural babyface of the last decade?! You’ve got to be fucking kidding me.

It's been going on for several weeks. Became a thing around Julia Hart's push to the TBS title shot at WrestleDream. Last night had some continuation with Skye Blue having a match on Collision and Statlander v. Willow on BOTB.

Julia Hart should be back relatively soon after having had her wedding. Hoping it will play into something for them at Full Gear that's actually been built up for a change. 

u54zcxijzhsb1.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&a

• Paid Members

Skye Blue vs Willow vs Anna Jay vs Abadon is exactly the sort of TV match I want on a Rampage. So fitting for Abadon resurface this close to Halloween. Should be a fun one.  

Edited by JLM

• Paid Members
On 10/22/2023 at 6:46 PM, Supremo said:

They seem to be going with the storyline that Skye Blue is being corrupted, while Willow is fighting it and will likely overcome it.

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

I'm glad to see Abadon back, but I do wonder if they'll ever let them wrestle both rosters though. They're non-binary and it could be quite the message to send, but I don't expect anything truly progressive from the company.

Why would you even want to see this?

Abadon is tiny, inexperienced, and not very good at wrestling. Why would you want to see them wrestle a man for any other reason than a pat on the back for being progressive? It'd be absolutely fucking shit.

• Paid Members
32 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

I'm glad to see Abadon back, but I do wonder if they'll ever let them wrestle both rosters though. They're non-binary and it could be quite the message to send, but I don't expect anything truly progressive from the company.

They’d surely have kept Sonny Kiss if that was any consideration?

• Paid Members

Santana/Ortiz was a solid 10 minutes of believable violence. They should have switched it with the HOOK/RVD tag on Dynamite it would have improved that show significantly. 

Ortiz refusing to fist bump but still showing a slight bit of respect was a good ending and felt real. These two are great together and hopefully either the story continues or they find themselves tagging again. Worth noting that one if Ortiz's shoulders was definitely not on the mat for the 3 count.

Edited by LaGoosh

• Awards Moderator
3 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

Santana/Ortiz was a solid 10 minutes of believable violence. They should have switched it with the HOOK/RVD tag on Dynamite it would have improved that show significantly. 

Ortiz refusing to fist bump but still showing a slight bit of respect was a good ending and felt real. These two are great together and hopefully either the story continues or they find themselves tagging again. Worth noting that one if Ortiz's shoulders was definitely not on the mat for the 3 count.

It was a good match, they were both really going for it. Could be the best I've seen Ortiz, though Santana still has a much bigger upside.

Really enjoyed the MJF-Omega video package after that match too.

I thought the main event and opener would have been flipped looking at the line-up. Santana v. Ortiz was good. I just struggle to care for the former partners having first singles feud against each other. Doesn't matter who's in it. Jon Moxley had an interview out yesterday. It was another reminder to me how bad Rick Knox can be as a ref. When it came to finish and pretty blatant Ortiz had a shoulder off the mat, I couldn't tell if it was intentional to further drag this out (possible based on post-match) or just poor refereeing.

Maybe it's best some of the women's division don't get promo time if that's what they put together in a pre-tape before the 4-way. As expected Willow/Skye Blue cancelled each other to further their story. Abadon would have benefited from more of a build the last couple of weeks. Just screams Halloween. Shida's playing along. If you thought she was escaping spray paint type "hijinks" maybe not :)

Fletcher v. Takeshita was great. Was enjoying the ending with Fletcher getting the chair and Hobbs getting involved until Don played peacemaker.

Nice to see Mark Briscoe back. Painful to see Kip go through the hometown sports team schtick to get there.

MJF v. Omega video package was the usual well done production. Just imagine they announced the match a week or two ago to give it a more meaningful build.

• Paid Members

Fletcher has had a good few weeks and definitely feels like a natural fit and a much better fit for the Don Callis Family than Sammy Guevara. 

Struggle to think of what they could do with Sammy really, he's pretty rubbish and hasn't improved in years. He's only really good as a sidekick but he's kind of outgrown that but also not quite grown into anything else.

56 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Struggle to think of what they could do with Sammy really, he's pretty rubbish and hasn't improved in years. He's only really good as a sidekick but he's kind of outgrown that but also not quite grown into anything else.

I doubt he'd enjoy it but a proper tag team could be a breather. I quite liked him tagging with Daniel Garcia. It was never really pushed, buddy system wise it even had less effort put into it than Wardlow/Spears.

It would be jinxed due to being a play on real life, but Jack Perry and Sammy with Anna Jay and Tay Melo as a group.