Your First Crush

Frankie Crisp

I had so many crushes over the years, first being Kylie Minogue, and ranging across so many areas of pop culture from Power Rangers (practically every pink and the odd yellow Ranger), Gladiators (Jet and Lightning awooga), music (Baby Spice, Britney, most girl bands or female members of mixed bands) and TV (Kelly from SBTB, Tiff from California Dreams, Cassidy from City Guys, Topanga)

My first celebrity crush was Eric Cantona, closely followed by Jake from California Dreams. When I look back, I think my obsession with Bret Hart when I was in Year 6 of Primary School was probably a crush too, I just didn't recognise it as that - though I was very much aware of my feelings for Eric Cantona which probably slightly preceded Bret Hart.

Edited by deathrey

• Paid Members

Can’t remember who my real first crush would have been. Would have been someone from school. But the earliest memory I have of seeing a woman and being in awe was Uma Thurman in Batman & Robin. Much-maligned film, but 8 year old me will always have a fondness for it and Uma strutting around in a skintight leotard and thigh high boots.

• Paid Members

I mean, as a small child I wanted to hold hands with fellow small child Wednesday Addams but I’m guessing that’s not what you want.

To drink deeply from the well of cliché for my age group my first proper telly crush was Jet from Gladiators. When the topic arose at school my whole table of lads was unanimous that Pamela Anderson from Baywatch (which I didn’t watch) was the hottest woman on TV. I decided to find out, and thus my life changed.

Edited by air_raid

• Paid Members

We had the music channels on a lot in my house when I was a kid. It was my introduction to rock music very early on. And it was where I fell in love with Melissa Auf der Mar from Hole. Watching the Celebrity Skin and Malibu (this one in particular) videos, I was always focused on her and thought she was perfect. She didn’t get as much screen time in my opinion. 

Keeping with the music channel theme and it’s constant airing of Aerosmith videos, I discovered my main crush - Alicia Silverstone. My older sister also had Clueless on VHS which I borrowed a few times. Didn’t have a clue what was going on, but Alicia was the one for me and that’s all that mattered.

spacer.png

For a first crush for someone who I didn’t just see in music videos, it was Daniela Denby-Ashe who played Sarah Hills in Eastenders. I wanted to go to Albert Square and save her from her prick of a dad.