Your First Crush

Frankie Crisp

The first big one I remember is the character McKenna (Alison Lohman) form the short-lived Nickelodeon sitcom Tucker (2000). There was only one season of about 12 episodes, but I must have watched them all four or five times, mainly to look at her.

At the same time, I definitely had a thing for a chunk of the WWE divas of the era, especially Lita. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, SaitoRyo said:

The first big one I remember is the character McKenna (Alison Lohman) form the short-lived Nickelodeon sitcom Tucker (2000). There was only one season of about 12 episodes, but I must have watched them all four or five times, mainly to look at her.

Nevermind her. Tucker's mum (played by Noelle Black) was delightful. Still looks the part now. 

I've been thinking about this and while I can't remember any specific crushes on kids' TV personalities when I was younger, the first person who comes to mind is Amelia Bullmore when she was Steph Barnes in Coronation Street. 

spacer.png

The Word era Dani Behr and Melissa Bell from Neighbours were other crushes, but they were both post-Steph.  Glad to see I wasn't the only one who like Nicola Stephenson too, when Anna Friel was getting all the coverage and magazine shoots, it was all about Margaret for me.

• Paid Members

I was never a big one for crushes as a kid, which kind of makes sense to me now. Alex Mack was definitely someone I noticed when watching kids' TV, though.

Probably a weird one, but whenever I was off school sick in the late '90s I'd watch Light Lunch (and Late Lunch when that became a thing), and developed a crush on Sue Perkins that I still feel is justified.

• Paid Members

Great shouts in this thread. Amy Jo Jonson and Melanie Blatt definitely up there for me. 

Jet from Gladiators of course. 

Number 1 was Isla Fisher when she was Shannon in Home and Away. Still stunning today. 

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I always preferred Jesse to Kelly. 

I preferred Lisa. I also fancied Zodiac rather than Jet, but that's because she came to our school for some sort of event so I reckoned I was in with a chance (I would have been about 8). 

19 minutes ago, gmoney said:

I preferred Lisa. I also fancied Zodiac rather than Jet, but that's because she came to our school for some sort of event so I reckoned I was in with a chance (I would have been about 8). 

This reminds that I was at Alton Towers when something or other opened (early 90s) and Warrior and Rhino were there to open it, and they were on a ride (forget the name of it, but it was sort of like pirates galleon or magic carpet which goes back and forth etc) and we all had our hands up and were screaming at Rhino to put his hands up, and he wouldn't, and we wouldn't stop so he shouted "I don't fucking want to alright!!!" which my Dad thought was hilarious.

Then we all sort of ran after him doing that "uuuuurrrrrrrgh" thing kids did when you know someone is annoyed, until someone told us to stop.

• Paid Members

Remember when Sharron Davies was a Gladiator? She was called Amazon. Apparently original Gladiators champion Eunice Huthart was a Gladiator called Blaze at some of the house shows as well. 

Can't say I recall Sharon Davies being a gladiator. But I recall Lightning being ok as well, not a patch on Jet mind you. On the subject of Lightning, she did some sort of signing at the height of the Gladiators craze in my home town. I didn't go but a friend of a friend went and he bragged that he'd given her a proper snog. Completely did not believe it, until he showed us a photo two weeks later (film development time!), and in that little snapshot it did look like he was telling the truth but when you factor in its a quick one off pic, the angle was inconclusive, there would have been quite a line of people waiting for a signature and oh yeah I was 10-11 at the time and he was a year younger so I highly doubt it was exactly how he says it was. I don't think Lightning was prepared to potentially out herself in front of a load of watching eyes too!

I don't think I have many new ones to add to who has already been mentioned. The likes of Jet, Kylie (who I believe was my first celeb crush), Janine Melnitz (cartoon version) Clarissa explains it all/Sabrina. But I remember watching Labyrinth about 1991 ish, and oh my God, Jennifer Connelly was too cute. In the days before on screen TV guides and the internet it took me ages to realise/find out her name. Probably had to wait a year til the film was repeated on TV.