Your First Crush

Frankie Crisp

1 hour ago, Mikeymike83 said:

Can't say I recall Sharon Davies being a gladiator. But I recall Lightning being ok as well, not a patch on Jet mind you. On the subject of Lightning, she did some sort of signing at the height of the Gladiators craze in my home town. I didn't go but a friend of a friend went and he bragged that he'd given her a proper snog. Completely did not believe it, until he showed us a photo two weeks later (film development time!), and in that little snapshot it did look like he was telling the truth but when you factor in its a quick one off pic, the angle was inconclusive, there would have been quite a line of people waiting for a signature and oh yeah I was 10-11 at the time and he was a year younger so I highly doubt it was exactly how he says it was. I don't think Lightning was prepared to potentially out herself in front of a load of watching eyes too!

I don't think I have many new ones to add to who has already been mentioned. The likes of Jet, Kylie (who I believe was my first celeb crush), Janine Melnitz (cartoon version) Clarissa explains it all/Sabrina. But I remember watching Labyrinth about 1991 ish, and oh my God, Jennifer Connelly was too cute. In the days before on screen TV guides and the internet it took me ages to realise/find out her name. Probably had to wait a year til the film was repeated on TV.

Panther was the thinking mans favourite Gladiator... and by thinking, i mean pulling the head off it.

Edited by Fanny Pack
Tried to make the post funny

• Paid Members

I had very early obsessions with Toyah Wilcox (circa 1981 when she used to appear on Razzmatazz), and Barbara Dickson (so I've been told), but the first women that I had any kind of romantic thoughts about were characters, more than real people. The main two I remember are Princess Leia (obviously), and Yori from Tron.
image.thumb.jpeg.017db3f1e25175cdfb9a2f4dc8dab3f6.jpeg image.gif.889ae121958bc23d97c5b64e254a3ccf.gif

My Grandad used to insist I had a thing for Ilia from Star Trek: The Motion Picture too, and while she was certainly very attractive, I think it was more the curiosity factor of seeing a bald woman for the first time.

I think the first real person I had a crush on was Phoebe Cates. She was super cute in Gremlins, but she was also in some late night saucy soap opera called Lace 2, which I discovered when the TV Times was considerate/irresponsible enough to use an image similar to this for it.

phoebe.jpg.51e857472f190df07693eb716b0e3133.jpg

I still have a load of old annuals and books from this time period, and suspect that the picture is still tucked away in one of them.

I did give considerable though to Princess from Battle Of The Planets flashing her pants in the opening credits. It's not like she did it by accident.

• Paid Members

You must have loved Fast Times At Ridgmont High. I mean it's an entertaining movie anyway, but that's not really the point I'm making. 

My first real crush was Natalie Portman, from the moment I saw her in Mars Attacks at the cinema when I was 11, right through my teens and even in to my early twenties. When I was 13 it was Eliza Dushku in Buffy The Vampire Slayer and then Selma Blair in Cruel Intentions when I was 14 so I definitely have a type. Then again, when I was four or five I remember having a bit of a thing for both Dorien off Birds Of A Feather and Blanche from Golden Girls.

• Paid Members
On 1/1/2023 at 5:43 PM, Frankie Crisp said:

Talk about awkward wanks if you really want to.

10 years or so ago a few of my mates managed to, while everyone was drunk, get the most awkward of the bunch of us to admit to

18 minutes ago, cobra_gordo said:

Dorien off Birds Of A Feather 

... being inspiration for one of his early hand shandies in his youth. I never dreamed I'd revisit that thought, until today.

• Paid Members

There's definitely something Freudian about it. Presumably it was the suggested sexual promiscuity (albeit probably not at the age of 5) , likewise whoever it was that mentioned Rose from Keeping Up Appearances. 

Crikey, when I was 5 the women from media in my life were Teela and the Sorceress from off of out of Hé-Man, and Floella Benjamin on Playschool.