Most loved and revered people in wrestling

IronSheik

Who do you reckon is the most revered and respected person in wrestling? You can take a fan perspective or an insider perspective or both.

I'll start the ball rolling with William Regal. He seems to be universally loved and respected. Seems to be a guy who has a reputation as a hard man, but someone who isn't a backstage politician and basically just loves the business and nurturing talent. He's also a working class lad who's turned his life around from addiction to operate at the top level which is always admirable. 

Had it been many other individuals ditching AEW after such a short run to go back to WWE I think they'd be getting shat on, but Regal has a tonne of good will from all quarters it would seem.

Shane McMahon is one I never hear a bad word said against. Always seems everyone likes Shane from the wrestlers to the writers etc. He used to go on the road with lots of them and they all have Shane stories. Even Cornette likes Shane.

Now he was the boss' son so that could have played into it, but of all those mad fuckers he seems the most normal one (bar jumping off high things)

37 minutes ago, Factotum said:

Shane McMahon is one I never hear a bad word said against. Always seems everyone likes Shane from the wrestlers to the writers etc. He used to go on the road with lots of them and they all have Shane stories. Even Cornette likes Shane.

Now he was the boss' son so that could have played into it, but of all those mad fuckers he seems the most normal one (bar jumping off high things)

As long as you're not talking about his punches.

• Paid Members

DDP is probably a good shout. Decent run in the bigs, no dramas. Spends his time helping wrestlers clean themselves up, putting a roof over their head and also with his DDP Yoga helping wrestlers like Jericho still have decent careers.

Real estate Steve and Tony Schivone as well. No one really has a bad word to say about them either.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Sheffbag said:

Before his death Bobby Eaton would have been the golden envelope answer to this or possibly Ricky Steamboat

First 3 names I thought of were Bobby Eaton, Terry Funk and Harley Race. Funk especially just seems universally beloved by everyone, spanning a bunch of generations, promotions and styles. Loved in the US, loved in Japan, respected as a world champion type, a hardcore madman, a comedy guy or whatever. I don’t think I’ve ever heard anyone say a bad word about Funk. Same with Eaton and Race but Funk especially seems to have something special about him. I remember watching an old shoot interview he did years ago and it really struck me that, as great as he was, how little ego he seemed to have, to the point it kind of seemed like he was downplaying himself at times. Love the Funker. 

• Paid Members

Terry Funk immediately sprung to mind.

Someone else that’s spent years booking or holding a relatively high position in TNA/Impact is Scott D’amore, yet you hardly ever hear anyone have a bad word to say about him.

Given the nature of his roles over the years you’d have expected him to have shitloads of heat.

I think Eaton wins it. 

Didn't he used to bring extra gauze, tape, Laces etc to his matches even till the end of his career incase other wrestlers run out/forgot etc?? 

Molly Holly is another but didn't have the career and longevity of the above. 

Also and seems random but weren't the samu and  fatu known as being darlings?? 

For me it's Eaton. You could probably fill and hour of YouTube vid of shoot extracts where everyone praises him. 

As a footnote, one of the most underated wrestlers ever, did he ever have a bad match? 

If anything being as unselfish as he was may have meant less achievements but maybe a lengthier career. 

• Paid Members

I can't remember the exact story but there was a renowned tough guy wrestler who found out his daughter was dating one of the boys. He was furious and ready to murder him until he found out it was Bobby Eaton. He immediately calmed down and was ok with it because everyone loved Bobby.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

I can't remember the exact story but there was a renowned tough guy wrestler who found out his daughter was dating one of the boys. He was furious and ready to murder him until he found out it was Bobby Eaton. He immediately calmed down and was ok with it because everyone loved Bobby.

It was Bill Dundee's daughter, and she stayed married to Bobby for twenty years, before they both passed away within a couple of months of each other.

It has to be either Eaton or Terry Funk, with an honourable mention for Tracy Smothers. All people that you couldn't find a bad word said about, and all people who did all they could to help other wrestlers out whenever the opportunity arose. 

Edited by BomberPat