Stuff that will age terribly

Gus Mears

That’s just what old people will look like in the future. 

Where as with our generations, old people are blue rinses, beige trousers bought from an advert in the back of the TV times, and listening to Vera Lynn and Jim Reeves, OAPs of the future will be wearing hoodies, covered in tattoos and and having ‘Pretty Green Eyes’ by Ultrabeat played to them in the care home. 

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

not that I have chest or face tattoos, but my general response to the "imagine what they'll look like at 80" thing is that I fully expect to look like absolute dogshit at 80 regardless, so I'm not that fussed.

which also ignores the fact that old people today have tattoos. My Great Uncle was in his 70's when he died 20 years ago and he had tatoos on his arms and hand. Sleeves weren't a thing then so I guess they are arguably more visible/noticeable nowadays, but let's not pretend older generations never had them.

• Paid Members

Apologies for the macabre turn but I was recently reading a book by Dr Richard Shepherd, one of Britain's most highly regarded forensic pathologists, and I recall him remarking that tattoos are now so common place that it's now people who don't have tattoos that stand out for him in his line of work. The complete opposite of 20-30 years ago when far fewer people had tattoos. The prevalence of tattoos, piercings and obesity were the main changes he said he'd noticed throughout his career.  (His books are a great read by the way)

To add something a bit less ghoulish, I work in education and this year I'm mainly working with older teenagers. Nothing makes you feel more positively ancient than working with teenagers. Firstly, we were having a discussion about social media and hearing a young man tell me that Facebook "is for old people" was crushing. They also asked me "what was life like in the 1900s?", which also brought a hard realisation. Hearing 16 year olds talk about Tik Tok will make you, if you didn't already, realise that your youth is gone forever and everything is decaying. Perhaps not that much less of a ghoulish idea than the previous one, come to think of it. 

2 hours ago, Gus Mears said:

I have a sneaking admiration for some people who do well despite having no talent, and the Robster is near the top of that list. Also loved it when he started adding raps mid way through his songs for no reason and they were universally terrible.

One of the worst lyricists in history. Any excuse to post the lyrics for Party Like a Russian.

Reveal hidden contents
It takes a certain kind of man with a certain reputation
To alleviate the cash from a whole entire nation
Take my loose change and build my own space station
(Just because you can, man)
Ain't no refutin' or disputin' I'm a modern Rasputin
Subcontract disputes to some brutes in Louboutin
Act highfalootin' while my boys put the boot in
(They do the can-can)
Spasibo
Party like a Russian
End of discussion
Dance like you've got concussion, oh
Put a doll inside a doll
Party like a Russian
Disco seduction
Party like a Russian, oh
Have it like an oligarch
I got Stoli and Bolly and Molly, so I'm jolly
And I'm always off my trolley, so I never say sorry
There's a doll, inside a doll, inside a doll, inside a dolly
(Hello, Dolly)
I put a bank inside a car, inside a plane, inside a boat
It takes half the western world just to keep my ship afloat
And I never ever smile unless there's something to promote
I just won't emote
Spasibo
Party like a Russian
End of discussion
We've got soul and we've got gold
Party like a Russian
Disco seduction
Party like a Russian, oh
Have it like an oligarch
Раз, два, три, четыре
We're the Russian boys, we're everywhere
There's revolution in the air!
Oh-oh-oh
Oh-oh-oh
Party like a Russian
End of discussion
Put a doll inside a doll
Party like a Russian
Disco seduction
Party like a Russian, oh
Have it like an oligarch

I'm a fan, partly because of those lyrics. He's long since reached a stage where he can sing whatever he wants, whether it be swing or middle aged nonsense raps and just goes for it. Nobody else offers the bonkers songs like "Party like a Russian" or "Nobody likes a fat pop star" and while you could logically argue that nobody should I...actually I don't have an arguement for why anybody should. 

I think there's even a line in one of his songs about writing the singles to get to the bizarre album tracks which is thoroughly believable. 

And, sadistic as it probably is, I do find something engaging about his swaggering persona mixed with his songs about his despair that he's not as big a deal anymore or his combination of taking the piss out of himself "I can't sing / I can't dance / that didn't stop me at all" with his thin skin about other people's criticisms. 

Obviously, probably a tosser.

Also I like the idea that finding loads of Robbie Williams CDs in a charity shop makes him something that's aged terribly rather than, you know, CDs. 

Tattoos are better these days though in terms of artistry and aesthetic. Old blue anchors are the type of tattoos old people have and they look shit. 

Im getting on now and have fully embraced the cardigan, pyjamas, and air fryers. Clouds piss me off. 

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, Vamp said:

And, sadistic as it probably is, I do find something engaging about his swaggering persona mixed with his songs about his despair that he's not as big a deal anymore or his combination of taking the piss out of himself "I can't sing / I can't dance / that didn't stop me at all" with his thin skin about other people's criticisms.

Wasn't it Candy, one of the worst songs I have ever heard, that caused him to go ballistic about Radio 1 not playing him any more? What a hill to die on.

• Paid Members
40 minutes ago, SpiritOfTheForest said:

we were having a discussion about social media and hearing a young man tell me that Facebook "is for old people" was crushing

To be fair, I'm 35 and also think Facebook is for old people. The only people I know who actively use it and share anything on it are my Aunties who are all in their 60s-70s. I feel like it's been like that for years now.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, wordsfromlee said:

That’s just what old people will look like in the future. 

I think at the end of the day, what will happen is, we'll be more or less the same, but with bigger hands and eyes and sex organs.

8 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

as we move further and further away from peak-Kardashian era

WHEN, God damn it???? It's 100% still peak-Kardashian era in my house. If Mrs raid ends up under the patio, this thread will be my defence in kourt.

I think in general the future will look back badly to how long everyone spends on their phone. It’s a massive addiction that doesn’t get the attention it probably should from the mental effects sustained use causes 

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Louch said:

I think in general the future will look back badly to how long everyone spends on their phone. It’s a massive addiction that doesn’t get the attention it probably should from the mental effects sustained use causes 

While I think there's some validity around reduced attention spans, I also think that 'spending time on their phones' means different things to different people, and it's not a homogenous thing. A lot of it is still social, with people talking to friends or following people's feeds that they're interested in. And, on top of that, a lot is about information and reading. They've taken the place of magazines and newspaper, and that's before you get onto gaming and watching stuff.

I see it more as a case of older people wanting something to blame for younger people not wanting to be like them or around them as much.