Stuff that will age terribly

Gus Mears

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, air_raid said:

I remember when the Artic Monkeys’ first album came out some of the faux-alt mainstream rags we’re claiming bollocks to the theme of “we’ve never seen anyone write like Alex Turner” and I was dumbfounded that anyone could view the lyrics with such reverence, even if “Dancefloor” was a decent toe-tapper.

There was a very weird conspiracy theory in some of the music mags concurrent to this, that Arctic Monkeys' lyrics were secretly written by Dan Treacy from Television Personalities, it even got mentioned in the Guardian. Just profoundly weird to assume that a band and label's "get rich quick" scheme hinged on securing the services of a mentally ill frontman of a band that never had a single hit and was prone to disappearing for years at a time. 

They are a band I'll never understand the reverence for, though - peaked at their first EP, and gradually disappeared up their own collective arse ever since, and aren't half as good or as clever as they seem to think they are. Also directly responsible for a generation of posh southern wankers affecting shit northern accents when they do Dancefloor on karaoke.

I was 21 when Whatever People Say I Am came out, and I'll be honest, it soundtracked my life for a good two years.

Apart from living in London and not oop norf, it very accurately represented my life at the time which was just going out on the piss/pull, so I can absolutely understand why it resonated and continues to do so with certain demographics.

They are a band who have continued to progress, both musically and lyrically with every album, have never rested on their laurels and done their own thing each and every time. They could've remade the 1st album over and over and still have been just as successful, maybe even more, but they didn't so fair play to them.

My 13yo is OBSESSED with them. Even more so than with Taylor Swift, and that's saying something.

They're a young persons band, and quite a decent gateway band to be honest. I am pretty sure she got into them because she heard 505 on Tik Tok or something, which then lead to exploring the albums, their influences etc. 

I can't wait to embarrass her when I take her to see them next year. Might wear a bucket hat to top it off.

No Monkeys slander here.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Gus Mears said:

Balances out with Starships though, which I find genuinely painful to listen to.

At least you can mumble the words and pretend she's singing about her hoop, for a cheap laugh.

• Paid Members
45 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

My 13yo is OBSESSED with them. Even more so than with Taylor Swift, and that's saying something.

Oddly enough, my 13yo is also big into them too. No idea if it's because of TikTok, my Dad playing them (along with The Killers) whenever he takes the grandchildren out or perhaps a bit of both- but they're her favourite band. She wants to go to see them in concert, which I think will be quite different to the last concert she went to earlier this year (Little Mix).

My 13yo niece however is obsessed with Liam Gallagher. We're talking our generation wearing bucket hats and walking like a dick levels of obsession. I don't understand how a 13yo could be so obsessed with Oasis and Liam Gallagher in 2023.

Edited by PunkStep

7 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

My 13yo niece however is obsessed with Liam Gallagher. We're talking our generation wearing bucket hats and walking like a dick levels of obsession. I don't understand how a 13yo could be so obsessed with Oasis and Liam Gallagher in 2023.

Because shes fookin cool. As you were.

Edit: you know the Monkeys are playing the Emirates don't you?

Edited by SuperBacon
Shithole

• Paid Members
23 hours ago, PunkStep said:

"And that's a good line to take this to the bridge"

Worst lyric in history. Awful.

It will become a wildly popular song again with the kids soon. With meta lyrics like that.

.... @Fatty Facesitter

• Paid Members
On 12/13/2022 at 5:36 AM, air_raid said:

I couldn’t believe Ariana Grande’s “34/35” was getting early afternoon plays

I had to look the lyrics for this up and yeah, leaving things to the imagination and interpretation is now out the window.

However, what amazed me more is, just how many people it took to “write” that song:

78ADF23D-1CC0-481C-9F9B-596A1877044F.thumb.jpeg.b92a9412e7aaea7226201989328faa29.jpeg