Stuff that will age terribly

Gus Mears

15 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

"And that's a good line to take this to the bridge"

Worst lyric in history. Awful.

Youā€™re wrong, youā€™re wrong.Ā 
Ā 

Nothing is as bad as ā€œI know you are my baby, my one and only baby. You said it twice Iā€™ll say it thrice my baby baby babyā€. I think thatā€™s what brought on Luther Vandrossā€™s stroke.Ā 

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, Chris B said:

And, on top of that, a lot is about information and reading. They've taken the place of magazines and newspaper, and that's before you get onto gaming and watching stuff.

This is a point I've found myself making a lot lately; people are probably reading and writing more on a day-to-day basis than ever before. I do find stuff like the Sam Smith pub ban on using phones to be really shitty; there's no functional difference between me sitting in a pub on my own and reading a newspaper,and me sitting in the same pub on my own, reading the same story on the same newspaper's website, yet only one of those things is frowned upon.

That said, there's more to it than phones just being a passive tool through which we communicate with friends or read articles. Most apps are designed to capture our attention in really insidious ways, and to give positive feedback timed in ways not dissimilar to a lot of slot machines and the like. So it's not phones per se, but there's a lot around them that I think we will look back on as something not dissimilar to gambling, and just as prone to addiction.

Edited by BomberPat

47 minutes ago, Chris B said:

While I think there's some validity around reduced attention spans, I also think that 'spending time on their phones' means different things to different people, and it's not a homogenous thing. A lot of it is still social, with people talking to friends or following people's feeds that they're interested in. And, on top of that, a lot is about information and reading. They've taken the place of magazines and newspaper, and that's before you get onto gaming and watching stuff.

I see it more as a case of older people wanting something to blame for younger people not wanting to be like them or around them as much.

There was finite amounts you can read in a newspaper or magazine, eventually you put them down. No one panicked and had their day ruined by not having Powerslam with them when leaving the house for 5 minutes. People sit and scroll and donā€™t put them down even when they have caught up with friends, and even when sitting with friends how many are sitting on their phones as you all chat etc? its rarely proper interactions, itā€™s jumping across to the next app and taking nothing really in. It creates division and ignorance of others around youĀ 
Ā 

I donā€™t get your last point, thatā€™s just every generation wondering why the current youth donā€™t want to be like they were and my point isnā€™t age specific. Sitting on phones is something thatā€™s across many generations, from under tens to people in their 50s afraid to put them down or have them outta sightĀ 

Don't forgot, Robbie Williams asked one if the great philosophical questions of our age with "what's so great about the great depression?

He's no Josh Ritter. Having said that, some of his more earnest lyrics (which are probably as grating to some people as reading a 14 year old's diary) around depression and stuff can be quite affecting with their straight forwardness. Songs like "Come Undone" and "Feel" capture basic thoughts I know I've had during depression in quite a blunt way which I appreciate. Even "Motherfucker" where I really don't like the chorus has "And I'd like to sing a song that says that you'll be fine / But now you know me, so you know that I'd be lying" which as someone who has previously thought they wouldn't have kids because I didn't want to risk passing on my depression has a bluntness to it that I appreciate (Edit: Not saying people with depression shouldn't have kids, nor that it's a rational or logical thought, just that it is something that I have debated in my own head).Ā 

So again, you've got the bizarre lyrics like "Down in the land / The land of the blind /Ā The one eyed king / He stole my mind / And I let him" as well as "I'm not sure I understand / the role I've been given."

His lyrics are basically a bit like wrestling. Quite a lot of bollocks, some fun silly nonsense and the occasional good moment.

Edited by Vamp
Wanted to clarify something I said about mental health.

8 hours ago, Lorne Malvo said:

The UKFF.

We're all gonna look back in twenty years time wondering why we spent so much of our lives discussing shitting habits, favourite snacks and (in a combination of the two) shitting in Quality Street tins.

No way man. If anything the forum will be renamed the PUKFF by then and will be exclusively about shitting habits.

Jimmy Carr is more Jim Davidson surely? He seems to get on on all the Saturday evening TV shows.Ā 

Actually, I say that, one of my exes paid full whack for a Jimmy Carr ticket and it turned out he was "practicing his material" and literally just stood on stage reading jokes off a clipboard and ticking them off if they got a decent response. I ushered a Jim Davidson gig at my local theatre and while he'a a piece of shit I can't imagine him half arsing a gig like thatĀ Ā 

1 hour ago, Vamp said:

Jimmy Carr is more Jim Davidson surely? He seems to get on on all the Saturday evening TV shows.Ā 

Actually, I say that, one of my exes paid full whack for a Jimmy Carr ticket and it turned out he was "practicing his material" and literally just stood on stage reading jokes off a clipboard and ticking them off if they got a decent response. I ushered a Jim Davidson gig at my local theatre and while he'a a piece of shit I can't imagine him half arsing a gig like thatĀ Ā 

It's not half arsing. It's a Work In Progress show. They're very common. Most comics do them, especially touring ones.

• Paid Members

It's been a while since I watched Carr but isn't most of his act and delivery just like that anyway?Ā 

Someone, I can't for the life of me remember who, put a recoding of one up on YouTube I watched. It was just a small room at a uni or college if I remember right but they were evidently doing it multiple times in the same place with different faces and there were bit's where they'd break the routine and character to discuss the material and structure with the crowd while they went back to thier notes and wrote comments on the response.Ā 

Ā 

• Paid Members

Ah, song lyrics. A great source of debate, as one manā€™s trash is another manā€™s Transvision Vamp. I remember when the Artic Monkeysā€™ first album came out some of the faux-alt mainstream rags weā€™re claiming bollocks to the theme of ā€œweā€™ve never seen anyone write like Alex Turnerā€ and I was dumbfounded that anyone could view the lyrics with such reverence, even if ā€œDancefloorā€ was a decent toe-tapper. All these years later I work with a kid in his late 20s who says Spotify tells him heā€™s listened to their new album 187 times even though it only came out in October. Mystifying.

Anyhoo,

17 hours ago, air_raid said:

I'm going to go with Nicki Minaj. Everyone will look back and go "I can't believe we let our children listen to such filth" because they haven't actually listened to the lyrics yet.

Just to linger on this pointā€¦. I realize every generation has had its Elvis or Madonna which in turn causes the next generation to look back and ask how on Earth their predecessors were so uptight about acknowledging that sex and sex appeal exists, and I was asking myself not long ago if Iā€™m just getting old, when I couldnā€™t believe Ariana Grandeā€™s ā€œ34/35ā€ was getting early afternoon plays. However, I hope the line gets drawn somewhere, as I feel sick whenever Iā€™m exposed to stuff like Super Freaky Girl. Although reality is that people will probably look back and think it was tame that nobody sings about snowballing or being made airtight, and music videos will all look like that scene from Requiem For A Dream.