What are you watching? Part 6312

CleetusVanDamme

What a roster WCW had in the early 90s, quite amazing.    Lex Luger and Sid are really the forgotten men of the 90s.  Huge draws, huge stars, over years and in both companies.

As fun as modern wrestling and wrestlers are, can you imagine if WWE had access to a Sting, or a Vader, or a Sid now?  Wrestling seems to attract some big men still, but none of them have that spit and sawdust seasoning the old territories/WCW seemed to give their wrestlers. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Loki said:

What a roster WCW had in the early 90s, quite amazing.    Lex Luger and Sid are really the forgotten men of the 90s.  Huge draws, huge stars, over years and in both companies.

As fun as modern wrestling and wrestlers are, can you imagine if WWE had access to a Sting, or a Vader, or a Sid now?  Wrestling seems to attract some big men still, but none of them have that spit and sawdust seasoning the old territories/WCW seemed to give their wrestlers. 

Listening to the New Generation Podcast episode yesterday on IYH9. While it was great to hear them really love Sid here, they were still very surprised that they did. The lack of love for Sid and Luger across wrestling astonishes me. Thank god for some havens like here that understand. Always enjoyed the two of 'em, right up until the end of days WCW when just about everyone was a fucking disaster. 

20 minutes ago, WeeAl said:

Listening to the New Generation Podcast episode yesterday on IYH9. While it was great to hear them really love Sid here, they were still very surprised that they did. The lack of love for Sid and Luger across wrestling astonishes me. Thank god for some havens like here that understand. Always enjoyed the two of 'em, right up until the end of days WCW when just about everyone was a fucking disaster. 

I dunno, when I was younger, Lex Luger always seemed like one of the uncoolest people in wrestling, even when he was nWo, so 'cool by proxy' he was just very awkward and stiff all the time.

With hindsight, I love a bit of Lex (OW!!! OH!!!! OOOOAAAAH!!!) but I can see why people didn't like him.

Also, I liked Psycho Sid, but in every other incarnation he just looked like someone with super noodle hair. Again, not cool in my opinion.

Sid is obviously great looking back with adult eyes though.

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Also, I liked Psycho Sid, but in every other incarnation he just looked like someone with super noodle hair. Again, not cool in my opinion.

Sid is obviously great looking back with adult eyes though.

I thought Sid was always cool as fuck. Super Noodle Sid in early 90s WCW is no exception. The moment when he returned to WCW at Slamboree 93 always springs to mind for some reason. It was a nothing match where Col Robert Parker brought Sid back to squash Van Hammer in about 10 seconds but when Sid’s music hits and he walks out, even though he’s aligned with Parker and clearly supposed to be a heel, there’s a big cheer from the crowd and he just looks the absolute bollocks swanning out onto the ramp. Just look at him.

A396B379-22AE-48E5-89FB-A1E0880B943B.gif

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Steiners vs Road Warriors, Nitro, 11/3/96: It's exactly what you think it is. A no notice, no nonsense slugger, thrown out on free TV just because. It's very much in the Steiners vs Luger and Sting matches mould, where if you aren't in complete awe that these teams are facing off you might be able to poke holes in it. I have taste though, so I still have the DDP smile on my face the whole way through while they potato the shit out of each other. Weak finish, don't care. Dream stuff!

Razor Ramon vs Diesel, Superstars, 30/4/94: Was skimming through some of the Superstars on the Network and this jumped out at me (I've found a Diesel vs Henry Godwinn match that I'm really curious to try out later too). Don't think I've seen this before, and that's my mistake, this is a 6 minute banger. All action, hot crowd, a fired up Razor and Diesel getting his first title. Top notch. I fucking love a good short match!

Curt Hennig vs Nick Bockwinkel (Nov 1986)

Came across this last night and this is great. First off, if you can get past the first 20 minutes which pace gives away the result if the time of the video on YouTube doesn't and also the commentator spoiling the result early the final two thirds are compelling and Hennig's bladejob is better than any Jon Moxley has done in the last few years. Also the troll job from the ref at the end is very funny

Been working my way through the WCW Spring Stampede PPVs on the Network the past few nights 

1994 - this is in the midst of the period that WCW has two World titles running at the same time, the actual World title main events with Naitch defending against Steamboat which ends in a double pin, the other is for the Big Gold, then known as the International title between Sting and Rude which has a messy finish involving Vader and Harley Race

1997 - this has the infamous Booker T promo where he calls Hulk the N word (dubbed over with the word Sucka on the Network), Big Kev defending the tag titles solo against Rick Steiner because of a Hall no show and the belting main event between Savage and DDP

1998 - the overlying storyline of this show is the tension within the NWO, namely between Kev and Hulk, that would eventually lead to the creation of the Wolfpac later on. The two team up in a Bat on a Pole match against Piper and Giant but Hogan accidentally hits Kev during the match causing more tension. Savage and Sting main event for Big Gold with the former winning to firmly end the latter’s botched title run, thanks to Kev

1999 - main event here is frankly a waste of Savage as he’s the guest ref for what starts as a 4 way with Flair defending (while also being the boss) against DDP, Hogan and Sting ends in a triple threat as Hollywood gets injured, DDP wins his second title here

2000 - currently watching this, this is at the beginning of the New Blood/Millionaire’s Club feud that ran throughout the bulk of the year so the Big Gold, Tag and US belts are vacant. I don’t know if it’s just dubbing or me misremembering but it’s amusing seeing Scott Steiner coming out to ‘Steinerised’ instead of his sirens as Big Poppa Pump, there’s definite dubbing for Sting’s entrances with his original Crow theme as he was using ‘Seek and Destroy’ at this point

Hindsight is wonderful but WCW’s take on the Hardcore division, down to having a clean and sparkly belt, was piss poor compared to the sheer fun of the 24/7 stuff in WWE. Flair wrestling both matches in the tag tournament dressed like he’s going on a golfing weekend because he took Russo’s rules on lax refereeing too literal is hilarious as is Racist Terry dressed as a street thug and botching putting Kidman through the announce table

Gypsy Joe Vs Mr Pogo in W*ING 1992

These two immobile old fucks put on an actually entertaining Texas Deathmatch in a rickety cage, it's just ten minutes of them stiffing each other and there's some of the sickest looking chair shots you'll ever see to Joe's wrinkly noggin.. which aren't sold of course, because the lad has a hard head or something. There's a funny moment where Victor is clearly telling Pogo to jump from the top of the cage but the boss is blanked and it's a 1 2 3 after a normal splash from the turnbuckle.

The actual ending is a little lame but Pogo keeps the beating going until Matsunaga comes out to save the day and continue the feud.

Two sickles out of five.

Edited by Merzbow

• 2 months later...
  • Paid Members

I signed up to FITE+ a while back thinking I’d get into GCW and enjoy indy wrestling again but haven’t had the time. I’ve got a month left on the subscription, are there any great GCW matches from the last few years you can recommend me to check out?

• Paid Members
On 5/11/2023 at 11:49 PM, RIDDUM_N_STYLE said:

1999 - main event here is frankly a waste of Savage as he’s the guest ref for what starts as a 4 way with Flair defending (while also being the boss) against DDP, Hogan and Sting ends in a triple threat as Hollywood gets injured, DDP wins his second title here

Savage was roided up to the gills at the time and when he did start wrestling again he wasn't up to much so don't stress about it. The real reasons to watch the show are Juvi vs Blitzkrieg which is a bit sloppy at points but exciting, Rey vs Kidman which was excellent as the "PPV" version of the sprint they had on Nitro, and Goldberg vs Nash which was far better than it had a right to be.

Was watching Royal Rumble 1992 at work today. Its amazing to watch with how the crowd are so into it, no music for the different entrants and Gorilla Monsoon and Bobby Heenan are absolutely brilliant on commentary. 

Looking forward to seeing the rest tomorrow! 

4 hours ago, Big'Olympic_Hero'Pete said:

Was watching Royal Rumble 1992 at work today. Its amazing to watch with how the crowd are so into it, no music for the different entrants and Gorilla Monsoon and Bobby Heenan are absolutely brilliant on commentary. 

Looking forward to seeing the rest tomorrow! 

1990 & 1992 remain my absolute favourite Rumbles but you’re right about 92, it’s a thing of beauty.

Edited by SpykeDudlei1

Summerslam 96

A really crap PPV, saved by a pretty superb main event, as Shawn and Vader work a great match.

The Boiler Room Brawl is alright, and the turn at the end is great, as is the druid shit, but it must've been awful to watch live. 

Hilarious that WWE seemingly put what looks like four 20" TVs around the ring for people to watch. 

The rest of the card is terrible, so thank god for Shawn Michaels.