What are you watching? Part 6312

CleetusVanDamme

• Paid Members

He eventually just became a generic cartoon villain heel boss, but initially it was a stroke of genius to realise that the one thing people hate more than their boss is the ineffectual middle manager who sucks up to them.

Based on a tip in another thread, I’ve gotten into watching MLW’s Battle Riot shows this week as an alternative to watching past Rumbles. It’s been a fun experience seeing names I’m not familiar with as well as current names, such as Swerve Strickland, Jake Hagar, Davey Boy Jr, Lexis King (Pillman Jr), Penta and Fenix

The running gag entrant across the 3 I’ve seen so far is the Blue Meanie who gets a good pop in each, Savio Vega appears twice in the 2021 match, as himself then later donning his WWF gimmick Kwang. MJF is across the first two shows, winning the inaugural Middleweight title against a then popular Joey Ryan before being in an opening show angle the following year with Teddy Hart backed up by his Dynasty teammates Richard Holliday and Alex Hammerstone

The commentary teams change across the shows as well, first one is Big Tone with Matt Striker, second was done by former NXT commentator Rich Boccini with Jim Cornette then the 3rd was Boccini with someone else who’s name I didn’t catch

I'm watching Victor's short pro career after seeing this tweet and there was genuine potential to be a great there, like Kurt Angle potential but for some reason he never fully transitioned and left completely after this short UWFi return. At least he got a small shot in WCW.

See, all the guys throwing out MMA spots in matches nowadays, they don’t look nearly as vicious as that!  It’s the holding on, keeping on top of your opponent and sheer sweaty effort.  Very cool.

• Paid Members

Yeah he looked like an absolute killer. I remember seeing him and Salman Hashimikov (not Salmon like the WCW graphics team spelled it) in the tag tournament at Starrcade 90 and even then I badly wanted to see them against the Steiners. 

IMG_2295.jpeg.b241ed1cf9ab79aa253b9c2745028a7a.jpeg

Wasn’t to be. Was Starrcade their only appearance in WCW or did they do any TV stuff?

While we’re on the subject, Wrestle Me did a video on these guys. Always worth watching…

• Paid Members

the best part of their WCW appearance is Jim Ross tying himself up on knots on commentary when he tries to put them over as the first genuinely Russian team to compete in the US, but realises that he can't say that without burying countless kayfabe Soviets, so ends up mumbling about them being a "different breed" of Russian wrestler.

3 hours ago, Merzbow said:

I'm watching Victor's short pro career after seeing this tweet and there was genuine potential to be a great there, like Kurt Angle potential but for some reason he never fully transitioned and left completely after this short UWFi return. At least he got a small shot in WCW.

There's no better natural SFX in wrestling than the Japanese "UWAAA." It sounds like an echoing aftershock out of an anime.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Never seen this match before because it was on when I was off wrestling (ahh those were the days) but what fucking belter this is.

Cesaro had that tape on his shoulder longer than Lacey was pregnant.