What feels like a crime, but isn't a crime?

Nick James

My neighbours have a swing indoors that I can hear creaking every moment of the day. Morning, noon and night. It's like torture. I want to sleep. I want to watch TV without thinking "that Darth Vader's got a bloody noisy swing, no wonder everyone hates him." I want to be able to read a book.

Apparently the bloke swinging back and forth all day and all night is doing it because he has a bad back. I suspect it's from all the swining. 

It's not a crime to have a badly installed swing inside your home, or to use a swing when you're a 50 year old man, but it bloody well should be. 

• Paid Members

Neglecting to offer a tradesman a cup of tea because you want them to do the job and leave as fast as humanly possible. It’s perverse, really, when you pay for any service anywhere else you don’t feel obliged to keep the workers refreshed, but because they’re in your home for a couple of hours you feel compelled to, like they’re an invited guest.

16 minutes ago, air_raid said:

Neglecting to offer a tradesman a cup of tea because you want them to do the job and leave as fast as humanly possible. It’s perverse, really, when you pay for any service anywhere else you don’t feel obliged to keep the workers refreshed, but because they’re in your home for a couple of hours you feel compelled to, like they’re an invited guest.

And you can't offer them a brew?

Tories are cunts thread is that way mate! :)

• Paid Members

As a sort of inverse of that, whenever I offer tradesmen a brew and they refuse, it bugs me for the rest of the visit, like I should keep asking every few minutes just in case they've changed their minds. (I don't, but it's a feeling that niggles.)

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

My broadband installer complimented my cup of tea making skills and I rode that high for hours.

I had that feedback from the builders we had doing our bathroom last year. Yet I commit the following crimes:

1. I always put the milk in first

2. it’s normally only oat milk we have in the house.

3. I drink about 2 cups of tea a year.

no visitor, trade or otherwise has ever complained and normally get complemented on the cuppa.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

My broadband installer complimented my cup of tea making skills and I rode that high for hours.

I get that when I make one for (sometimes) tradespeople, colleagues, friends or absolutely anyone. I don’t drink tea, so really get chuffed when someone says I made a good one.

• Paid Members

Always live in fear because I don't drink hot drinks, but my wife is an ex-barista so we have loads of odd flavoured teas and completely incomprehensible ways of making them. If I'm home alone with a workman round I dread having to explain that the only hot drinks we have require some kind of magic spell cast while they're being made to be drinkable, and that I'm basically an unattended child who only drinks Pepsi Max.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Carbomb said:

As a sort of inverse of that, whenever I offer tradesmen a brew and they refuse, it bugs me for the rest of the visit, like I should keep asking every few minutes just in case they've changed their minds. (I don't, but it's a feeling that niggles.)

It's worse if the say yes and it's shit. I had some lads in swapping some fence panels and one left his coffee with just one sip gone.

Cut me deep ☹️

I never offer tradesmen any kind of drink. If they asked I would happily make them one but as someone who doesn't drink hot drinks, I just can't be bothered to mess around making a cup of tea that would no doubt taste like shit. Actually there is one hot drink I enjoy and that's lemsip but I try to save them for when I'm ill as a treat.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Walking down to the station to catch my train, and this guy was pulling out of his garage in his car to join the road. He was sitting halfway out, blocking the pavement. In order to go around him I had to cut through the front of his garage. It felt very wrong and invasive, but the alternative was waiting for him to pull out and potentially missing my train. 

Second time it's happened now today.