Chris B

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Has Okada been inserted into the match to win the belt back, or because Tony Khantana has decided that he doesn't want Jay White going over one of Page/Cole?

No, and no. The belt is 100% not changing hands, nor has Tony got a whole lot of say into which New Japan guys are getting beaten or not. That's never been New Japan's way, its "We'll do business with you if we tell you who you can beat and who you can't, and by whom they can get beat." The match exists for the sake of having a title match, and Cole is probably doing a job for the Blade Runner. It's what makes most sense. Unless they consider Okada bullet proof enough to drop a fall on an outside show.... as he did to Zack at Rev:Pro, now that I think about it. Although that was more "New Japan abroad" than outside.

Edited by air_raid

9 hours ago, mrtrickio said:
  Hide contents

AEW All Atlantic Championship

Miro vs Malakai Black vs PAC vs Tomohiro Ishii 

Ishii injured. Clark Connors to replace.

Not sure this needs the spoiler tag but... Change to a match.

Fuck, this show is cursed! I’m still looking forward to it but I can’t remember the last time so many big stars were injured resulting in this many last minute changes.

EDIT: Injuries AND politics thanks to Triple A, the bastards!

Edited by Love-Wilcox

• Paid Members

Some people seem to think that the title match plans changed at the last minute.

I can't believe that, after weeks of segments with the champion Jay White interacting with only Hangman Adam Page and Adam Cole, while Okada was repeatedly referenced, it's ended up in a match with Jay White, Adam Page, Adam Cole and Okada. And, even weirder, despite the angles constantly being about the championship, it's ended up being a title match.

2 hours ago, Chris B said:

Some people seem to think that the title match plans changed at the last minute.

I can't believe that, after weeks of segments with the champion Jay White interacting with only Hangman Adam Page and Adam Cole, while Okada was repeatedly referenced, it's ended up in a match with Jay White, Adam Page, Adam Cole and Okada. And, even weirder, despite the angles constantly being about the championship, it's ended up being a title match.

With Dominion 2 weeks before any potential IWGP title match set up was going to be kind of weak. Dominion was also a big show at the start of a tour rather than a finale. Okada has been working the tour. So it was always doubtful he was going to turn up until this week when there is a break in the dates for Forbidden Door.

This does seem to be the plan all along. With nothing announced until now for the surprise appearance of Okada and the certainty he was making it over.

I had a dream last night that Tanahashi won the interim title and tbh I think there's a chance he takes it. In my head, it all depends on whoever take the All-Atlantic. If it's an AEW guy then I think Tana takes the interim big one.

EDIT:

Just looking at the full card over on Reddit. Whilst the build to the show has been incredibly underwhelming, the card itself looks great in isolation. I'm actually really looking forward to what should be a great night of wrestling.

Edited by Love-Wilcox

9 minutes ago, Love-Wilcox said:

Just looking at the full card over on Reddit. Whilst the build to the show has been incredibly underwhelming, the card itself looks great in isolation. I'm actually really looking forward to what should be a great night of wrestling.

I wish it could be a lot more than just "a great night of wrestling" though. As I feel like you can get a lot of great matches all over the place. It's not enough for me for an AEW PPV. It'll be the first one in a long while that I haven't purchased. Not even sure I can be arsed to watch it anywhere else at this rate. Its probably one of those shows I'd enjoy a lot if I was there.

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, Love-Wilcox said:

Whilst the build to the show has been incredibly underwhelming, the card itself looks great in isolation. I'm actually really looking forward to what should be a great night of wrestling.

That’s the problem. It feels a bit “supershow” rather than a big chunk of important canon for two promotions doing a crossover.

39 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

It's not enough for me for an AEW PPV. It'll be the first one in a long while that I haven't purchased.

It's never really been one. It's not like when Starrcade had the NJPW v. WCW series. The way i've viewed is more the like first couple of 'ECW' One Night Stands.

AEWxNJPW was always going to have half a card of talent that I never really cared about or knew much about since I don't follow NJPW that closely.

I'd probably care more if they did a AEWxLucha Underground special for one night.

It feels a bit similar to the WCW NJPW Supershows from the very early 90s. Only injuries and being politically onside in the booking has made it all a bit muddled. 

Still think those super brief 'Here are United Empire' highlight packages should have existed or something. 

Watched the Countdown special with the typical Videos with explainers about who the NJPW guys are. The mix of match highlights/talking heads people have been asking for since this started.

Don't think it would have done much in terms of changing people's opinions if they'd been sprinkled throughout TV the past month.