Chris B

• Paid Members

I'm gonna be your typical pro wrestling message board negative nancy. You might want to skip this, MPDDT.

I don't think the show is worth the PPV cost.

This is a card suitable for a Rev Pro or ROH joint show. You'd probably chuck 10 quid to watch on their streaming services, and then you'd have the whole back catalogue to look through as a bonus. You'd chuck 30 quid at it to go live and see all these names up close in a 1000-2000 seater venue. But it's not worth the PPV cost.

Even with the FITE email discount, it's not worth the punt. Even with my bank of FITE credits, effectively making the show free, it's not worth a go. There is almost nothing of consequence on this show, no matches that are guaranteed to hit the star rating highs, and next to nothing in terms of storyline investment. So whether you're after excellent matches, excellent storytelling, or excellent blow-offs, (or all three, which is what AEW used to be excellent at), the card isn't up to snuff.

It's going to be a fun show. Possibly a very fun show. Expectations are largely low and hopefully all the critique lights a fire under the roster's arses and they go out with a point to prove. Even then, knowing that they'll probably go out their way to put on the best show possible, it's not worth the PPV asking price, and I'd be pretty fucked off if I was one of the many who bought tickets, flights and hotels immediately after the show was announced.

Anyway, I'm done being the Debbie Downer. I'll watch the show on some dodgy site on Monday night and wonder what all the fuss was about.

• Paid Members

I'm really looking forwards to that 4-way for the IWGP title. Especially so considering AEW were getting hammered for booking Hangman/Okada, White/Cole, Okada not being on the show or a tag match between all four before anything was even announced!

The All-Atlantic four-way should be a cracker too, and I'm intrigued by Ospreay/Cassidy.

I can't see Moxley/Tanahashi gelling very well and Tanahashi looked like the latest underwhelming Japanese legend during that Dyno tag match, but other than that it looks a decent card for me to chuck a few Fite credits on.

1 hour ago, Lorne Malvo said:

can't see Moxley/Tanahashi gelling very well and Tanahashi looked like the latest underwhelming Japanese legend

There are Japanese language tweets saying Tanahashi is out with a knee injury and EVIL is replacing him, but fuck knows how legit or reliable they are, or even if they’re translated correctly. 

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

There are Japanese language tweets saying Tanahashi is out with a knee injury and EVIL is replacing him, but fuck knows how legit or reliable they are, or even if they’re translated correctly. 

Now that, would be fucking funny. 

• Paid Members

Has Okada been inserted into the match to win the belt back, or because Tony Khantana has decided that he doesn't want Jay White going over one of Page/Cole?

Aside of that title match, Mox Vs Tana, and that stipulation in the three way tag this looks like a house show. As Prone said above it reminds me of the Rev Pro/New Japan show I went to with @air_raida few years ago. I really wouldn't be surprised if that four way played out as if it was two matches that just happened to be taking place in the same ring at the same time. It also feels like some of those multi person matches could have been a whole other card of singles matches with the singles matches from tonight being turned into some multi-person matches on the other night,

• Paid Members

It's like when you order your Tony Khsn/Scarface reference on wish. Or the Asylum straight to DVD version. 

Wonder if these 'injuries' (refuse to believe so many could be injured at the same time just before a PPV) are a cover for someone somewhere saying 'the card looks crap, buy rates look worse, we need to fo something and quick!' 

As a non Japanese wrestling follower I'm looking forward to seeing how they match up to the AEW guys and whether certain matches will become great even with no or poor build.