So, tomorrow night. The Battle of Britain.

Rob Page playing unfit pensioners instead of fresh young exciting players like Brennan Johnson and Sorba Thomas vs Gareth Southgate setting up massively defensively for a draw with Henderson helming midfield.

can we both go out please and let Canada through?

7 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Very nearly didn't qualify either!!! Wales had a great chance in the final game which, if scored, would've seen Germany not qualify.

Matthaus was the best player in the world at the time. Incredible that he didn't win that.

Germany pumped us 4-1 I think, just after we beat Germany and Brazil in the same week.

christ, now anyone can qualify for a tournament it makes me think about what a team like 1991 wales could do now in damage.  Big Nev in goal, the greatest strike force in football - Hughes/Rush/Saunders, Peter Nicholas as defensive midfielder so Barry Horne and Speed could spray it around. Mark Bowen, David Phillips at full back, Pat van den Hauwe, Alan Neilson, Eric Yoing, Kevin Ratcliffe at centre half to be chosen from.

Riches.

Edited by Butch2000

12 hours ago, Butch2000 said:

Big Nev in goal, the greatest strike force in football - Hughes/Rush/Saunders, Peter Nicholas as defensive midfielder so Barry Horne and Speed could spray it around. Mark Bowen, David Phillips at full back, Pat van den Hauwe, Alan Neilson, Eric Yoing, Kevin Ratcliffe at centre half to be chosen from.

That's some team, but I have a feeling they'd likely fare the same as the great Scottish teams of the 70's and 80's.

Basically, not all that well.

12 hours ago, Butch2000 said:

Big Nev in goal, the greatest strike force in football - Hughes/Rush/Saunders, Peter Nicholas as defensive midfielder so Barry Horne and Speed could spray it around. Mark Bowen, David Phillips at full back, Pat van den Hauwe, Alan Neilson, Eric Yoing, Kevin Ratcliffe at centre half to be chosen from.

Riches.

That team used to train on the university fields next to my high school. Like fuck were we showing up to geography when they were there. I remember the first time we saw Giggs we wondered why they'd brought the mascot to training.

• Paid Members

Probably one for the Twitter thread but I found this clip extraordinary for two reasons - 

1) The incredible analysis about how if Mbappe shoots more, he’ll score more goals. 

2) The part around 28 seconds in. You’ll know straight away when you see it. Either a dare or a moment of madness. Possibly both. 

• Paid Members
On 11/28/2022 at 12:08 PM, cobra_gordo said:

That Cameroon Serbia game is about as much fun as I've ever had watching a football match. Just end to end mentalness. My son has got an inset day at school so it was a rare opportunity to watch a match together and both of us were screaming at the telly for most of the second half. 

On 11/28/2022 at 12:12 PM, SuperBacon said:

My boys!!! 🇨🇲🇨🇲🇨🇲

What a comeback. Heroes, each and every one of them.

Not enough comments on here about the lad doing the six-a-side pisstake finish when he clearly thought he was offside and was just having a laugh.

• Paid Members
34 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:
How do you drop Foden or Rashford now? Interesting dilemma for Southgate. Play all the attackers, fuck it. 3-2-5 for me Clive.

You don’t. You leave them in, bring in Saka, leave Sterling on the bench and realize Rice & Bellingham is enough to shield the back 4.

• Paid Members

I've just been reminded of one of the very few notable things to happen in the 2010 world cup. Suarez's handball against Ghana that ultimately knocked them out.

Ghana could knock Uruguay out this Friday. Should be tasty.

22 hours ago, air_raid said:

You don’t. You leave them in, bring in Saka, leave Sterling on the bench and realize Rice & Bellingham is enough to shield the back 4.

Yeah agree with this. You drop Sterling and Bring Saka back in and move Foden central. Drop Hendo again and leave Basmati and Bellingham in midfield. 

Henderson was so shit agaisnt Wales. Well done for shouting pal but maybe try and play football. 

• Paid Members

Who's going to play in the front on the midfield three in that line-up? Everyone will say Foden but like Grealish, he seems to be better out wide doesn't he? So you need either a Mount, Maddison or even Bellingham pushed forward (like VS Wales)- which in that event will mean either Henderson or Philips alongside Rice.

I'd stick with Rashford and Foden for sure after the last game, Sterling and Saka are incredible options to bring on late in the game (and vice versa). What a great problem for Southgate to have.

• Paid Members

Mexico out in the groups for the first time since 1978? Poland in the knockouts? What a tournament. There's a German Lady comes into the pub who wants to watch them play Costa Rica tonight, but I'll probably be watching Japan and Spain try to play out a draw to hopefully screw them. 

• Paid Members

Belgium have been absolutely dire this tournament, that's the end of the golden generation then. Chuffed for Morocco, could be them VS Japan in the next round right? Although I think that Germany will turn things around and finish 2nd in that group.