Wrestlemania 38 - A Stupendous Weekend in Dallas

RIDDUM_N_STYLE

• Paid Members

I've probably watched no more than 5 matches in total from any promotion in the last year but I sat through a good chunk of both nights (skipped a few matches) and i enjoyed close to all of it. Take a year off, it'll do you good.

• Paid Members
39 minutes ago, FUM said:

One negative I did forget to mention in my post - camera cuts to the crowd during pinfalls. What the fuck is that about? 

These have got to be some of the highest skilled producers in the world as far as wrestling goes - surely they cannot think that is a good idea.

Purely going off your description of it, my guess is that they've started cutting away at the point of possible screw-ups - like someone not getting their shoulder up at the right time. So, rather than cutting the match short and messing up their booking on their biggest show, they have some wriggle room in terms of what makes TV.

9 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Purely going off your description of it, my guess is that they've started cutting away at the point of possible screw-ups - like someone not getting their shoulder up at the right time. So, rather than cutting the match short and messing up their booking on their biggest show, they have some wriggle room in terms of what makes TV.

It was more cutting to the crowd at the 1 count then quickly back for the kick out. Just dire production work that made you think they didn’t have a clue what was going on.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, FUM said:

It was more cutting to the crowd at the 1 count then quickly back for the kick out. Just dire production work that made you think they didn’t have a clue what was going on.

Its more that constant thing of trying to catch reaction shots of the fans. It doesn't always work, there was moment during the Austin thing where they cut to some bloke in the crowd and he was stood there looking bored off his tits.

• Paid Members

I absolutely loved both nights. Pat McAfee took the stunner soooooo well and I cracked up when they cut to him drinking beer on the floor!

I usually cancel the subscription straight after Mania but I might leave it for another month until the inevitable disappointment begins again

• Paid Members

I only watched Zayn vs Knoxville. Incredible one man show by Zayn. A match with an untrained celebrity featuring tons of props, spots and interference and he completely held the whole thing together, put on a great fun match and did the job while still holding on to his credibility. He's no doubt got a job for life at WWE after that.

Edited by LaGoosh

I don't follow WWE very closely these days but I did catch the highlights of McAfee's NXT run a couple of years ago. Is there a reason why they'd never go with him as a full-timer? NFL injuries? Because he seems a natural and the crowd are all over him. Chanting Seven Nation Army through his match like he was Jeremy Corbyn at Glastonbury 2017.

To have that guy get the big Mania win and immediately eat a pinfall from Vince and a stunner from Austin in 2022, with Vince having a brief out of body experience in between, is remarkable. Vince's lack of interest in ever presenting a new generation as superior to his Attitude lads is like climate change denial at this point. Does he not realise its his kids who'll have to book Mania once he's dead?

Edited by Pinc

I like to think Vince knew he couldn't take the best Stunner ever so he deliberately went in the opposite direction and tried to beat Linda for the worst one instead. I think he managed it. I've probably watched it a good 50 times today and laughed every time so job done I guess.

2 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

I like to think Vince knew he couldn't take the best Stunner ever so he deliberately went in the opposite direction and tried to beat Linda for the worst one instead. I think he managed it. I've probably watched it a good 50 times today and laughed every time so job done I guess.

I love how Austin is trying to hold a gob full of ale through the whole thing as well, so he can do the climactic spit take when they hit the floor.

Vince took that so badly, you KNOW he's going to want to take another one tonight so he can erase that mistake.

I thought Byron Saxton's sell on Saturday was superb, but then McAfee's version last night was just... magic, and surely an attempt to recreate Scott Hall's sell.

I can see why people would hate McAfee if they had to listen to him week after week but in the short doses of Wrestlemania he was brilliant, close to being my MVP of the entire weekend if it wasn't for KO or Zayn both being so ace in their roles.

I loved Sami vs the Jackass lads, great craic. Seeing mad auld roided up to the gills Vince in his workout vest at 77 was so weird, but fun too. Everything else was a giant pile of meh. Edge is a boring prick these days even with his new and improved persona, hopefully he's given a painting of a spitfire and binned off by the time Mania rolls around next year. Also, Pat Mcafee was annoying enough and then he goes and has 7 nation army as entrance music!

Night 1 was clear winner for me anyway but an enjoyable weekend overall. Will see if they can coax Rock back for next years instalment which is next WWE show I'll be watching.