Wrestlemania 38 - A Stupendous Weekend in Dallas

RIDDUM_N_STYLE

Seeing as how the cards are taking shape and we are 3 weeks away, it's nigh time to open the thread for the biggest event in the WWE calendar, Wrestlemania. This year's 2 nighter, the third year in a row the company have done this, emanates from the AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas (WWE using Dallas to make it sounder bigger), the home of the NFL's Dallas Cowboys. This is how both nights are shaping up

Night One - Saturday 2nd April

Smackdown Women's Championship

Charlotte Flair (c) vs Ronda Rousey

Raw Women's Championship

Becky Lynch (c) vs Bianca BelAir

The Mysterios vs The Miz and Logan Paul

Drew McIntyre vs Happy Corbin

The KO Show 

Stone Cold Steve Austin answers Kevin Owens' challenge

Smackdown Tag Team Championship 

The Usos (c) vs Shinsuke Nakamura and Rick Boogz 

Seth ‘Freakin’ Rollins vs TBA

New Day vs Sheamus and Ridge Holland

Night Two - Sunday 3rd April

Winner Takes All - WWE Championship vs Universal Championship

Brock Lesnar vs Roman Reigns

Triple Threat Match for the Women's Tag Team Championship

Queen Zelina and Carmella (c) vs Sasha Banks and Naomi vs Rhea Ripley and Liv Morgan

AJ Styles vs Edge

Johnny Knoxville vs Sami Zayn

Austin Theory vs Pat McAfee

Raw Tag Team Championship 

RK-Bro (c) vs Alpha Academy vs Street Profits

Bobby Lashley vs Omos

Edited by RIDDUM_N_STYLE

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, RIDDUM_N_STYLE said:

Arlington, Texas (WWE using Dallas to make it sounder bigger)

All the sports venues are in this boat. CM Punk technically won the WWE title in Rosemont, which is north of Chicago, not Chicago itself.

I dip in and out of wwe these days but I will say i think the card is looking strong. It has the right mixture of main events, attraction/celebrities and opportunities to 'cement your name in history'. (Seriously though, Liv Morgan winning Tag Title would genuinely be a nice moment and if you squint you're eyes enough it would look like long term storytelling).

Is Logan Paul a genuine draw? Personally i care very little for him but I'm in my 30's so I understand why he doesn't appeal to me, do the kids genuinely like him? I have always assumed his boxing fights do well because of the attraction of seeing him get knocked out

2 hours ago, theringmaster said:

Is Logan Paul a genuine draw? Personally i care very little for him but I'm in my 30's so I understand why he doesn't appeal to me, do the kids genuinely like him? I have always assumed his boxing fights do well because of the attraction of seeing him get knocked out

He has 23.4m subscribers on YouTube. That’s not as many as WWE have themselves (86.3m) but it’s 23.4m potential new viewers based on Paul doing something for his channel. He’s not being brought in to appeal to you or I (I’m in my 30s too), he’s being brought in to bring his predominately Young audience to WWE. 
Even if they only convert 1% of his YouTube following, that’s over 234,000 potential new viewers/network subs based purely on Logan Paul being involved. Will the gamble payoff? Probably not, but it’s worth a try and even if it doesn’t pay off, they’ve been in worse spots financially when putting their faith in celebrities 

Edited by WyattSheepMask

Reports are a bit all over the place but the general feeling is that they've sold about 50,000 for each night so far, which really isn't too shabby given the amount of shilling and comps stadium shows usually come in for in the final few weeks. They have a long way to go and there's probably a decent number which can be moved in the local markets between now and then for folks who want to pick and choose a night. In amongst the company's long history of dodgy business practices, I don't think you can hold it against them for wanting to go for two stadiums instead of one if the demand - however inflated - is there. 

For context, when they ran the same building in 2016 they had just a hair over 100,000 for the one night - and that was the kayfabe number on the night. So this is going to do better. 

As usual - as a viewer - the problem is the format and not the card. WrestleMania should be a piece of piss for even the most jaded fan to go along with for four hours, regardless of the state of the business. It's madness but I think I prefer two 3:30 cards over one 5-6 hour one, though. Each night last year felt quite compact for WrestleMania standards on the night itself, and it went down easier as a result I think. 

It helps that the vast majority of us can get drunk for the Saturday night show - of course - and check it out live when coming back from the pub. That's the plan this year again. 

• Paid Members

I'd rather a two night Wrestlemania than the marathon one-night events they were becoming, but that's not two nights' worth of Wrestlemania matches.

If you filtered that down to just:
Flair vs. Rousey
Lynch vs. Belair
Mysterios vs. Miz & Logan Paul
Steve Austin/Kevin Owens
Brock Lesnar vs. Roman Reigns
AJ Styles vs. Edge
Johnny Knoxville vs. Sami Zayn

You'd have a decent seven match card, covering a lot of bases. Throw in the Andre Battle Royal, and use that to further or pay-off some of the other stories they've got going on, and you'd be laughing. Could maybe find a spot for another multi-man "get everyone on the card" spotfest for good measure.

The main thing is that it's just impossible to give a shit. Even the matches that feel like they could be big on paper haven't had any meaningful reason to happen - AJ vs. Edge is as by the numbers as it gets, and Austin vs. Owens, if it even ends up being a match, has had the worst possible build for a Stone Cold Steve Austin comeback. None of it feels like it matters in the slightest.

• Paid Members

When was the last time Austin hit the stunner and did the beer bash on TV? It's probably not been for a while, but it feels a little old hat nowadays. I'm quietly optimistic that we're gonna get a little more than that based on what we've seen. 

Probably not though. 

23 minutes ago, Silky Kisser said:

When was the last time Austin hit the stunner and did the beer bash on TV? It's probably not been for a while, but it feels a little old hat nowadays. I'm quietly optimistic that we're gonna get a little more than that based on what we've seen. 

I think it was when he battered the Street Profits in front of no one during the pandemic.

Forget the real thing - BomberPat's VHS cut looks much more endurable.

• Paid Members

They can always downsize to a smaller venue under the threat of danger from the Russians if ticket sales go too badly? 

26 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

They can always downsize to a smaller venue under the threat of danger from the Russians if ticket sales go too badly? 

Don't mention Russia or Vince will probably bring Vladimir Kozlov back and put him against Roman in the main event.

• Paid Members

I'd be down for that if it's the Kozlov that looks like a character from a GTA game. 

• Paid Members

Then Owens appears on an episode of Broken Skull sessions immediately following Wrestlemania.