Wrestlemania 38 - A Stupendous Weekend in Dallas

RIDDUM_N_STYLE

• Paid Members

I saw something on the newz sites noting that the WWE don't see one Heavyweight Title being viable for two brands in the long-term.

Which makes the outcome of Lesnar/Reigns absolutely pointless.

Vinnie Mac (or more than likely Adam Pearce and Sonya DeVille) will come out on the Raw after and announce that MITB main event will be for the Raw Heavyweight Title or something equally predictable.

It would be brilliant to see Roman going between shows and killing everyone for a while. Would cycle folk into the main event less regularly but the main issue is that McIntyre, Lashley, Owens, Seth etc have already been pumped by Reigns so there's not enough challengers for one belt let alone two.

It was mooted years ago on here but one show could make do with the IC and/or US titles for a bit, elevate folk to move into SD to challenge Roman. 

Anyway, I won't be watching for the first time in many years. There's absolutely no heat in any of the feuds and whilst Roman/Brock could be incredible of given time, it will likely be another sub ten minute payday which furthers nothing. 

• Paid Members

I don't think they'll 'make do' with having the IC or US titles being the most prominent all the way through to something like Money in the Bank. Whichever network gets shortchanged (i.e if Roman wins both belts and stays on Smackdown or moves to Raw exclusively) will apply pressure on them to rectify this fairly swiftly. 

Having two belts means you elevate two stars instead of one person working both shows, plus it fills more hours of content with each shows having their own primary champion. It's an easy way jazz up an additional match on a PPV as well. Not the most ground-breaking booking initiative or thought process, I grant you. But I think the general consensus is that there's enough room for two belts while they have 5+ hours of content to fill each week. 

1 hour ago, Supremo said:

The only thing on that card that excites me is the idea of Austin’s music hitting and he walks out in trunks and the vest.

More likely to hoof it down the ramp in his best deer hunter garb - on a two day hangover from the Hall of Fame - with augmented reality skulls and cans of Steveweiser filling the screen as Cole goes "OH MY! OH MYYYYYY!"

1 hour ago, Perry said:

I miss the days when you'd look forward to WrestleMania. 

There's absolutely nothing to look forward to this year. 

At least in recent years we could always rely on Takeover producing but even that's fucked now.

I read somewhere (here?) that Austin had a ring put up at his ranch last year, which suggests he's been training for more than a stunner.

He's in his late 50s, so if his neck can take it I don't see it's impossible he wrestles an actual match.   Setting myself up for disappointment I know.

• Paid Members

Yeah there was a news article/interview transcript posted and he mentioned having the ring installed. It might even have been a discussion on his podcast actually....it was definitely said and it definitely caused some discussion here.

Given how long it's been, the advances in medicine and the fact that Sting, Edge and Angle have all returned after being told a similar story about never wrestling again, Austin might just be able to pull off a 5 minute squash match. 

I can't see how Austin agrees to do it unless he can actually 'go' to some extent. The Cena/Taker squash a few years ago was a complete was of time. KO is a safe enough worker that I think they attempt something proper.

How do WWE win from this KO/Austin thing?

If it’s not a match, people will moan that the buildup was for nothing.

If it is a match, and Austin wins, WWE will be criticised for not building new stars, and jobbing somebody out for a part timer, that’s not wrestled in nearly 20yrs.

If it is a match, and KO wins, people will be saying he’s not on Austin’s level and should never have won.

29 minutes ago, Matthew said:

How do WWE win from this KO/Austin thing?

If it’s not a match, people will moan that the buildup was for nothing.

If it is a match, and Austin wins, WWE will be criticised for not building new stars, and jobbing somebody out for a part timer, that’s not wrestled in nearly 20yrs.

If it is a match, and KO wins, people will be saying he’s not on Austin’s level and should never have won.

They sell tickets and get people to watch the show. It's not something for a long term benefit. It never is.

• Paid Members
56 minutes ago, Suplex Sinner said:

can't see how Austin agrees to do it unless he can actually 'go' to some extent.

Austin has been saying for years that he's healthy enough to wrestle again. He just didn't want to.

Edited by LaGoosh

If he was coming back to to wrestle/hit his big spots then surely a tag match where a younger lad gets the rub of being Austin's partner (and who does all the selling) would have been the way to go. I don't watch WWE regularly enough to know who that young guy would be, but team Owens vs Team Austin sounds much better than a special edition of the poxy KO show.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

Austin has been saying for years that he's healthy enough to wrestle again. He just didn't want to.

I know, I know. I have just seen a fair bit of discussion on various sites which are doubting his ability to do so and if there is any doubt, he surely wouldn't agree to a nonsense match or skit or whatever. He's seen Undertaker, Goldberg, Kane, HHH and Shawn Michaels have absolute shockers of final or near final matches in their careers. HBK's final match at Bloodmoney 4 (or whatever it was) was an abomination. 

2 hours ago, DCW said:

If he was coming back to to wrestle/hit his big spots then surely a tag match where a younger lad gets the rub of being Austin's partner (and who does all the selling) would have been the way to go. I don't watch WWE regularly enough to know who that young guy would be, but team Owens vs Team Austin sounds much better than a special edition of the poxy KO show.

I can't think of anything less "Stone Cold" than coming back for a tag match. 

Even if he did you know he'd just stunner his partner anyway. 

I don't know what a Logan Paul is (although looking at the article posted earlier I'm guessing it's an arsehole) but I think Edge vs. AJ looks the least interesting to me. I can just see them having a really dull match.