Wrestlemania 38 - A Stupendous Weekend in Dallas

RIDDUM_N_STYLE

Johnny Knoxville /Sami Zayn was EXACTLY what I wanted from that. A fun, scrappy mad brawl full of batshit props. Poor Knoxville has Vince McMahon levels of coordination but he's such a charm he carries off just getting twatted. Great cameos, loved the daft finish. Meltzer hated it. It was proper fun. 

The South Knoxville Strong Boy got a massive laugh from me. 

• Paid Members

Night 1 might be one of the best shows they’ve done in years. Bar the first hour or so, which just felt like rubbish overspill from Friday’s Smackdown, I had a great time with it. Loads of fun moments, some really good matches and the biggest rarity in WWE - some genuine, happy, cathartic moments.

I was impressed, if not surprised by Logan Paul. I fully expected him to be really good, and he was. I’ve got a lot of time for the Paul brothers. Obnoxious dickheads, sure, but what a pair of workers. A lot of people in the business could learn a thing or two from paying attention to those twats. Absolutely no idea why WWE are so insistent on making Logan a babyface though. Between last year and now this, he’s becoming the celebrity Roman Reigns!

Fair play to Becky and Bianca. Easily WWE’s best women’s match in years. If they were trying to send a message then they definitely succeeded. I’m still not convinced it’s much of an arc for Bianca to be a complete fucking loser for months on end, only to win at Mania for no discernible reason, but you can’t knock the work. Cracking match, made all the more impressive by Bianca soldiering on when she took that crazy kick to the eye when Becky’s Molly-Go-Round came up short. Bianca’s just the best, isn’t she? The greatest success story of their developmental system by miles. Such a natural babyface. So great to see her celebrating at the end, even if you could see her eye slowly swelling up. Hopefully it’s nothing serious and she isn’t stripped of the belt.

Good for Cody. Whilst I might not have the highest hopes for where things go from here, on the night it felt like he’d definitely made the right decision going to WWE. He felt like a megastar during his entrance, had a great match with Seth, and at no point did you ever get the impression he was getting the Sting or DDP treatment. Outsider came in and just won. Great. Hopefully there’s so much money tied up in him that he ends up like Lesnar, where they have to push him properly to justify the price tag. WWE could do with more guys like that. Honestly, if he becomes a success here he might end up having almost as positive an effect on the business as he did creating AEW. It’ll be great if guys can go back and forth for a fresh start. Plus, this hopefully means more guys will come in and immediately start on the main roster in order to keep their momentum going, rather than going to NXT for six months and being taught how to be boring and shit. Solid outing all round. Three and a half stars. 😉

Ronda vs. Charlotte was okay. I don’t know. They just don’t seem to have much chemistry, which helped matters during their Survivor Series match when they decided to just kill each other with weapon shots, but not so much here. Probably doesn’t help that it’s a battle of two awful characters, neither of which I want to see win. It wasn’t bad, but it sure felt underwhelming after Becky and Bianca stole the show.

Everything about Stone Cold vs. Kevin Owens was fucking brilliant. Genuinely can’t remember the last time I watched WWE with such a big smile on my face. Everything from the promo, to it morphing into a match, to Steve and Kevin having the time of their lives out there. Absolutely fantastic. Best Wrestlemania main event since Wrestlemania 30. The only thing that could be better than this is Steve getting Kevin on a podcast to watch it back and excitedly talk us through it. “Suplex on the concrete! BAM! Great bump! Great bump!”

The whole weekend was just great fun.

You can criticise WWE until the cows come home, and a lot if it is justified, but this weekend showed that when WWE turn it on there is no one better.

I've fell out of love with WWE a fair bit over the last couple of years and have got into AEW to an extent, however I've followed it from the Rumble until now and found this weekend fantastic. There was something for everyone at WrestleMania across both nights, honestly even for the staunchest WWE opposer, there was something you'd have liked.

Personally I loved it all, highlights were Cody's return, the Becky/Bianca match, I loved Triple H getting his moment at the start of night 2, the Mcaffee Theory Mcmahon Austin thing was fantastic WWE sports entertainment.

We'll see what happens on RAW now but I'm buzzing with it after this weekend and hopefully the momentum will carry through.

Very very satisfied with the entire weekend from WWE, Night 1 was better from a wrestling stand point but last night was great from a ‘moments’ stand point

That said my matches of the weekend were Becky/Bianca from Saturday and Knoxville/Sami from last night for those reasons

The only real bummers for me were the SD Tag Title match because of Boogz’ injury, New Day v Weaky Blinders for being an utter burial and Omos/Lashley

9 minutes ago, Shy Dad said:

I have to say Meltzer fucking hating so much of the weekend to the point his tweets became like live updates from a radio station about travel updates was fucking amazing. The guy makes being a twat so entertaining for us all. 

He forgets that not everything in wrestling has to be an x amount of stars flips and finisher fest

Wonder how much TK is paying Meltzer to slag it off. Thought it was an excellent mania with everyone going big in there matches and the perfect pick for the celebrities. Did like Vinces reaction to Theroys music playing at the end and probably was expecting Stone Colds music instead.

Edited by Stop the pigeon

On 4/4/2022 at 11:48 PM, Stop the pigeon said:

Wonder how much TK is paying Meltzer to slag it off. Thought it was an excellent mania with everyone going big in there matches and the perfect pick for the celebrities. Did like Vinces reaction to Theroys music playing at the end and probably was expecting Stone Colds music instead.

Probably just told him that he'd rename the meltzer driver if he didn't play ball

Edited by westlondonmist

Some wrestling fans are odd balls aren’t they?  On the train after Raw, overheard a guy saying this to someone: “well they would do Wrestlemania here at the arena, but they do it at the stadium because there’s 50,000 more seats”

No shit pal.

18 hours ago, Supremo said:

I was impressed, if not surprised by Logan Paul. I fully expected him to be really good, and he was. I’ve got a lot of time for the Paul brothers. Obnoxious dickheads, sure, but what a pair of workers. A lot of people in the business could learn a thing or two from paying attention to those twats. Absolutely no idea why WWE are so insistent on making Logan a babyface though. Between last year and now this, he’s becoming the celebrity Roman Reigns!

Apparently, Logan Paul had it written into his contract that they'd make him a babyface, which, to me, is insane. Does he not realise he's likely incapable of being one? He was wonderful smirking at the camera and mocking Eddie Guerrero the other night. When The Miz turned on him, I took that as Miz turning face. According to the dirt sheets, though, that was meant to turn Paul face.

20 minutes ago, 69MeDon said:

When The Miz turned on him, I took that as Miz turning face. 

I took it as one egotistical guy smashing another egotistical guy because he'd used him to get what he wanted and needed to prove that there was only room for him in the spotlight. Honestly didn't think for a second that either one of them was coming out as a babyface.