Wrestlemania 38 - A Stupendous Weekend in Dallas

RIDDUM_N_STYLE

20 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I love LITTLE BEADY EYES as one of Austin's go-to insults.

It's the 'your' or in his drawl 'yer' that just makes it. It's a really old school term, like when wrestlers called the viewers 'TV land.' 

Becky showed up to a Q&A today with a replica title. Hopefully the beginning of a gimmick where she just continues on as if she's still the champ.

Spoiler

2uuqr122xcr81.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

2 hours ago, Nexus said:

Corey Graves was fucking irritating as shit during the main event. Constantly saying "BROKEN SKULL LAGER" every time that Stone Cold grabbed a beer. Felt like a shit advert. Graves aside though, I enjoyed the Main Event. 

To be fair, I can’t imagine the constant references to this weren’t part of the deal that saw Austin wrestle again. 

That said, I did find the commentary outside of that pretty grating at times. It’s the first WWE event I’ve watched for a while, and I’d partly forgotten about the buzzwords and phrases they liberally sprinkle into their sentences. 

• Paid Members

Thought Austin/Owens was perfect. Wouldn't have changed anything - one of those moments you'd never forget if you were there in person. 

Loved the Cody business and all of the fallout afterwards. I love how he interacts with the press as well - he comes across so naturally and so comfortable. He's made for this stage. Fantastic how they've kept the entire American Nightmare aesthetic as well. Can't wait for the madness to come. Get one of the belts on him immediately. 

2 hours ago, Gay as FOOK said:

Becky showed up to a Q&A today with a replica title. Hopefully the beginning of a gimmick where she just continues on as if she's still the champ.

Reveal hidden contents

2uuqr122xcr81.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

Never thought I'd say these words but Becky has go away heat with me

35 minutes ago, Tsurutagun said:

Never thought I'd say these words but Becky has go away heat with me

Admittedly I wasn't entirely on board when she came back but I think she's grown into the role and she definitely played her part in making the feud and the match really successful in the end.

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Fatty Facesitter said:

Get one of the belts on him immediately. 

I hope you mean the World titles, midcard belts are for losers these days.

Personally now that Reigns has won the real belt back, I hope they bin the other one. Between Lesnar holding it for a million years then Reigns holding it for two million years, it’s never been interesting, except when Lesnar and Goldberg had the match they should have had 13 years earlier.

Looking at both nights’ results, I can’t believe how much stuff they put in and consider it “WrestleMania worthy” and not “first hour of TV” calibre, and from 3 out of the last 4 Manias it’s clear that the Womens tag belts are seen as a vehicle to get as many performers a Mania cheque as possible. It’s crazy to think they put on 16 matches if you count both impromptu ones, 15 if you only include Owens/Austin which was suspected could become a match, or 14 announced and confirmed. I know it’s over two nights but it really dilutes the “elite” nature of Mania. I know Mania V-VII put on about 14 matches in their window, but everyone was over like Rover, far from overexposed and in well balanced matches with people at similar points on the totem pole, rather than stuff thrown together. Spare a thought for Randy Orton, one of the most decorated guys in company history, lost as just one guy of six in a tag clusterfuck, and especially for Drew, involved in a World title position the last two years, now second to opening a weekend of 16 matches over 2 nights.

Having said that…. They must be applauded for throwing everything they had at it, including an extra slice of Vince and possibly the last interaction he should ever have with Steve Austin. It’s good to see Reigns won too, because from a booking point of view there’s no benefit for him holding his belt so long and losing to Lesnar. They need new main event stars and soon. This might sound ludicrous after everything I’ve said about Cody adequate Rhodes, but if he stays over enough, perception is reality, and if the paying public want it, I can easily imagine a scenario where he’s booked to beat a few of the other heels and starts looking for the title by SummerSlam.

Final note on Drew/Corbin ; I’m glad Drew kicked out of End Of Days. As cool as it is, Corbin doesn’t deserve “nobody kicked out of my finish” on his CV considering the men who can’t say that, and when he said he’d rather retire with nobody kicking out of it than win the World title, he came across as a massive dork. So screw him.

Went into the weekend with really low expectations and to be fair it was a perfectly enjoyable weekend of entertainment.

The post-WrestleMania reset is always an exciting part of the year. For me they've got to now attempt to create a handful of genuine contenders to Roman's throne and have them going back and forth all year into the Rumble where it's exciting and unpredictable what way they'll go.

The worry is always that they go down 'the chosen one' route with one individual and it backfires. 

• Paid Members
On 4/1/2022 at 8:18 PM, Supremo said:

It’s the biggest wrestling show of the year, so even people who hate the current product or haven’t watched in ages are going to dip their toe in and try to find some excitement or enjoyment. 

forrest-gump-hello.gif.04693f8f72ddb00fec3db0af442014af.gif

Triple H leaving his boots in the ring, Vince having a sanctioned match. I know we make fun of this stuff but that's some top WWE level irony. 

As expected that was much flatter and almost as soon as it started I was done. Not going to spend time shitting on it though. WrestleMania was Saturday night and it was pretty good. 

• Paid Members

To anyone who enjoyed both nights, I am delighted for you. But I found it an absolute chore and I think next year maybe the first WrestleMania I avoid since i started watching again at WrestleMania 2000.

@KJHenley Sting has done bumps on concrete and more and he is 62. I don't need Austin to be doing planchas or flips but yes, I thought it wasn't much of a departure to his other returns.

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

I thought night two was pretty solid, although it didn’t surpass night one. 

Edge/AJ was, for the most part, a decent match, but I found it a little boring. I think it would have been far better had it been 10 mins shorter.

I actually really enjoyed the opening tag match. All six men worked extremely hard, and Gable and Otis were particularly fun. 

Zayn/Knoxville wasn’t for me, although I know that some people really enjoyed it (including, clearly, the crowd), so what does my opinion matter? I do think it’s a shame that Sami is essentially Santino Marella. I firmly believe that he could be, if they got behind him, a Daniel Bryan-type star for WWE.

McAfee/Theory was good, but it’s hard to enjoy a match involving someone who has been accused of what Theory has been accused of. The McMahon/McAfee match was a lot of fun though, just for the novelty of it.

I enjoyed the main event, and I’m glad that Reigns won. I’m curious as to whether or not the belts will remain unified, or if they’ll find a way of separating them quickly. They definitely need to build new stars though, it’s hard to imagine anyone on that roster unseating Reigns. He feels leagues above every other wrestler at this point.

1 minute ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Too anyone who enjoyed both nights, I am delighted for you. But I found it an absolute chore and I think next year maybe the first WrestleMania I avoid since i started watching again at WrestleMania 2000.

This is one of my main gripes with modern day WWE, just far too much content.

Back to basics with a 2 hour Raw, less belts would go along way to help everything mean more but it's just not how they're set up to operate now unfortunately.

For me night 1 shat all over night 2. 

My problem with Brock Vs Roman is it was the same fucking match we have seen a million times not one bit was different and that doesn't feel like this big time match anymore because it's so paint by numbers it's not even funny anymore 

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Kfogg1991 said:

For me night 1 shat all over night 2. 

My problem with Brock Vs Roman is it was the same fucking match we have seen a million times not one bit was different and that doesn't feel like this big time match anymore because it's so paint by numbers it's not even funny anymore 

The crowd reaction at the end backs this up as well. Very little reaction.