Wrestlemania 38 - A Stupendous Weekend in Dallas

RIDDUM_N_STYLE

41 minutes ago, Matthew said:

I’ll never understand the logic behind opening a WWE thread/watching a YouTube video/watching a show, knowing you have zero interest in the product.

spacer.png

Granted it mightn't be zero interest, but it's been a massive part of a lot of our lives and there's always going to be tendrils of attachment there - especially with the biggest show of the year - whereby you'll want to get a quick overview of the lay of the land to see how things are. 

I have no emotional investment in the product nowadays but sure feck it look, I'm off on Sunday as well so I'll probably end up checking out some of it tomorrow night. It's not some "HAH! Gotcha!" moment, just human nature. 

30 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I agree, but it seems to be pretty prevalent nowadays. There are people that do the same for TV shows as well. I'm pretty sure at least 15% of Doctor Who's viewers nowadays only watch so they can go online to shit on it and say they're never watching again afterwards. 

I think it's a number of things really.

Yes, there's absolutely people that just 'hate watch' things so they can tell others how shit they are, especially shows that change like Doctor Who etc. They're more than happy to log on and shit all over it and tell everyone about the good old days.

There's probably an element of not wanting to miss out too.

I think that's why I watched WWE for so long. It's like trying to drag yourself away from something that you know made you happy before, and it can give you a glimmer of hope every so often that it could still do that. It can be difficult to walk away from something if it's been a big part of your life for so long.

• Paid Members
56 minutes ago, Matthew said:

I’ll never understand the logic behind opening a WWE thread/watching a YouTube video/watching a show, knowing you have zero interest in the product.

It’s like me watching Coronation Street and coming online to shit all over it.

Why somebody that self admittedly says there’s “not a chance” of them watching wrestlemania, is opening a thread about WWE, specifically Wrestlemania, when he has “not a chance” of watching it, makes no sense to me.

There’s a difference between zero interest and not enjoying. I, for instance, keep track of the show results as a life long fan (until recently) and obsessive historian with regards to things like titles and tournaments, Rumble winners, Mania cards etc. My desire to watch has waned to almost nothing, but I’m still going to keep up with it for signs of recovery or new reasons to try again. I’ve given up several times and several times gone back. Last time I started tuning back in was 2018 SmackDown because the reports never sounded like bollocks and reading the posts here made me think people seem to be saying the shows actually quite good and they were right, for a while.

I’m fascinated by how we’ve got to the card they’ve got, how it will play out etc. I’m not going to watch it because every time I start to watch their output at present, multiple things drive me away. But I’m still interested. Perhaps one day just as the things I hate haven’t ALWAYS been this way, they might change to something palatable. I’m only going to know if I keep up.

Regardless of interest or enjoyment, we can't deny that WWE is THE number one wrestling company, and Wrestlemania is THE biggest wrestling show of the year (and I know they'd never use the word "wrestling" themselves). It makes sense to have a thread and discussion no matter how limited. I think it's just that the average user of this forum isn't a fan of the WWE style, so the impression is that it's only full of hate watchers. For me, I'm a fan of particular wrestlers (Big E because Big E, and Edge because regardless of how ropey his current shtick is, he'll always be my guy as my first favourite wrestler) even if I don't like the company they're in or the style of show they're a part of.

I won't pay my money, but I'll likely watch(some of the)wrestling in the following week. It'll be popcorn, forgotten in a day, then I'll go YouTube Barry Windham vs Dick Murdoch or Johnny Saint vs Steve Grey for the warm fuzzies.

Aye, WWE was a major part of my younger years and somewhere in my strange mind I would like for it to return to something resembling a watchable, exciting show. That's why I always dip in at this time of year to ascertain the current state of play. I know I always end up more disappointed that things have gotten markedly worse in terms of presentation and performers than the previous year, but I still have to check in vain hope. I'm like the lad in Dirty Harry, I gotsta know!

I don't watch the weekly shows (haven't for years) and really only watch the 'big 4' PPVs, don't care about who wins and what the storylines are to be honest, and I'm really looking forward to this years WM.

I'm certainly not hate watching, I'm genuinely interested.

As if everything watching won't feel excited when Austin's music hits. Come on now...

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

I think that's why I watched WWE for so long. It's like trying to drag yourself away from something that you know made you happy before, and it can give you a glimmer of hope every so often that it could still do that. It can be difficult to walk away from something if it's been a big part of your life for so long.

Sounds like an abusive relationship. 

I apologise for stirring the pot , but there are a few people on here who have a 'I'm above all this' snarky attitude who week by week gobble the shit sandwich repeatedly. Madness. 

Hope you enjoy 'Mania! 

Here was me thinking we'd make it a full page without comparing an abusive relationship to watching Raw clips whilst taking a shit in the mornings. 

4 hours ago, Gay as FOOK said:

Granted it mightn't be zero interest, but it's been a massive part of a lot of our lives and there's always going to be tendrils of attachment there - especially with the biggest show of the year - whereby you'll want to get a quick overview of the lay of the land to see how things are. 

Exactly this.  It's not that I have zero interest in the current WWE product, I just think the card for Mania 38 looks fucking awful, so I have no desire to waste 8 hours over the weekend watching it. It's a simple as that.

• Paid Members

Yeah, let’s not start this again. Feels like we get it every one of the Big Four now. Moanception.

It’s the biggest wrestling show of the year, so even people who hate the current product or haven’t watched in ages are going to dip their toe in and try to find some excitement or enjoyment. Let them. I’d much rather people comment and talk about this show - even if it’s 100% negative - than have people complaining about people complaining. Torturous.

However, in the hope of keeping it positive and stopping people dragging up bollocks about Coronation Street or whatever, here are things I’m excited about, even if the current product is light years away from my current tastes.

- Stone Cold Steve Austin is going to have the closest thing he’s had to a match in decades. His opponent is also a fucking nutter willing to kill himself at the drop of a hat. Can you even imagine the bumps Owens is going to be taking to make Steve look good? The way The Rock used to take the Stunner is going to be considered, “reserved.”

- If the match is even close to the fantastic build up then Knoxville and Zayn is going to be a proper laugh. I’m begging them to smash Sami up with endless Jackass pranks. Spend the entire show cutting backstage to him chasing Knoxville around the arena and constantly stumbling into another load of nonsense. Tar and feather him. Shoot him into space.

- As much as Edge’s character work has been atrocious since his return, I think he and AJ are going to have their working boots on. Fingers crossed they deliver. For someone who used to be so amazing, when did AJ last have proper show-stealer? The Boneyard? And before that? Who knows.

- Pat McAfee is wildly miscast as a babyface, but considering what he did in NXT I bet he’ll have a good showing. Still expecting him to hit Vince with something mad off the top rope when all is said and done. Or, if they want to properly pay off Vince appearing on his podcast, Pat will just suck him off in the middle of the ring.

- Cody will be good for the one, big moment. Gonna be funny when he loses and they bury AEW on commentary, though. This is the real Wednesday Night War right here! Seth threw a kettle over a pub! This is the real quiz!

- If nothing else, I trust Ronda, Charlotte, Roman and Brock to beat the living shit out of each other. Should be fun seeing which of those matches ends up the stiffest.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Matthew said:

Why somebody that self admittedly says there’s “not a chance” of them watching wrestlemania, is opening a thread about WWE, specifically Wrestlemania, when he has “not a chance” of watching it, makes no sense to me.

Welcome to on topic!

14 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Yeah, let’s not start this again. Feels like we get it every one of the Big Four now. Moanception.

And we still get the same chumps declaring they’re seriously thinking about quitting and mean it this time. 

But it’s fucking Mania. It’s the WrestleMania of the wrestling world. It’s Eurovision, you don’t have to listen to music for a year to watch and enjoy Eurovision. It’s the Christmas Day Eastenders, the FA Cup final. 

I won’t bother with it but it’s the biggest show of the year. It’s not like watching Raw every week to shit on it, it’s the real jewel in the crown. 

I’ll be checking to see if Charlotte wins though. 

6 hours ago, Matthew said:

I don't watch the product but I will check out this and also the Raw thread from time to time, mostly because I'm hoping that, one day, I'll open a thread and it'll be all "this show is amazing" and not "god, this is pretty bad but, hey, that one segment was good". I want them to put on good shows because, if they did, I'd watch them. Also, as a fan of pro-wrestling in general, I enjoy reading discussion about the biggest pro-wrestling (sorry, JAS) company in the world.

For me, a lot of "why are you even in this thread/talking about WWE if you hate it so much" strikes me as people being a bit insecure that some other people don't enjoy the thing they are enjoying.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Fuck sake, just WHAT have I missed? :)

There were rumours of a Pat vs. Vince match, coming off the back of Vince appearing on Pat’s podcast, where an angle was expected. Instead, it was a long, drawn out, “why are you so amazing?” interview. I never finished it. Maybe they shagged there and then.