Wrestling's Top Twitter 2022

Lenin

59 minutes ago, Dai said:

Ah that makes sense then. That said, the ECW run, where he still looks like a tank (which suggests he was training, and his neck was fixed), suggests he was ready to go then, and that was mid 98 wasn't it? Still another year in the wilderness when you think WCW would have been throwing money at him to join.

Sid pretty much played it safe, with no bumps, from 1996 onwards. Then he climbed the ropes for that flying legdrop and look what happened.

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, air_raid said:

He left the WWF because he needed (and had) neck surgery so he spent a lot of that timeframe not wrestling for anyone.

Yeah wasn’t that from the car crash with Scorpio and Bob Holly in 97?

I wonder where he’d have fit into that WWF roster for the rest of 97 and into 98 if he’d stayed active? As cool as he was I’ve got a feeling he’d have got properly lost in the shuffle on that roster? Especially in 98/99 when you had Austin and Rock fully emerging as mega stars. Hate to say it but I could see them feeding him to Kane in a similar way they did with Vader. As much as his flitting from one fed to another gets joked about, and “softball LOL” etc, at that time it was probably better for him to just get out and go the ECW/WCW route for a bit. Where it all went tits up is that horrific leg break in early 2001. Had he stayed healthy at that time he’d have surely ended up back in the fold for another WWF run during the Invasion bollocks. Which begs another question, where would he have slotted in on that roster? 

• Paid Members
49 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

Yeah wasn’t that from the car crash with Scorpio and Bob Holly in 97?

Kind of, he’d stretched a back injury out for two months before a brief return.

On 9/2/2022 at 8:58 AM, air_raid said:

Between Toronto and Ottawa we have a car crash that will change lives and careers - Sid, Furnas, LaFon and Flash will all escape with their lives, and Flash will only miss five nights' work, but Sid won't wrestle for the WWF again and the Can-Ams are out of the ring until September where they'll return in ECW and kill time until returning to WWF TV in the build for Survivor Series. 

On 9/3/2022 at 10:48 AM, air_raid said:

JULY 1997

We're going to close the book on Sycho Sid here. They will announce - without any build or reason to happen - Sid vs Vader for SummerSlam, and Sid will go back and forth on them a couple of times as to whether or not he'll be good to go on account of how his injury is feeling. The office have had this too many times from Sid and put it to him that he's not making enough dates to fulfil his contract so they want him to sign a new one for less money. He'll balk and walk away - in the end he will actually need surgery which will keep him out of the ring for ages, but it’s a case of the Sid that cried "wolf."

https://preview.redd.it/frkgceto02f71.png?width=960&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=81079c78c54288815828ab4593eb53c237c2ea4c

• Paid Members

I wouldn’t usually pass comment on something ridiculous I saw on Twitter but this prompted me to scoff so here it is. This statement is so ridiculous, it’s untrue. Comparing a turnout for anything Joshi in Nip is the equivalent to Yanks trying to contradict me saying baseball isn’t a big draw by showing me a sold out Wrigley Field. It comparing different marketplaces entirely, one with generations of established visibility and consumption of the product, and one without.

There’s progression in the area, most notably in WWE - there are two titles to fight for now instead of one, they got their own tag belts, they were freed from the demeaning “Diva” tag. They were given their own Rumble which went on last the first Rumble PPV it featured and they get their own Elimination Chamber now. The contribution is respected to the point that if Sasha vs Charlotte is the top feud in the company, they can main event a PPV, and if the hottest act in the business is Becky Lynch, she can close WrestleMania. But the market for women’s-only shows or promotions drawing on their own just simply isn’t there. They did the Mae Young Classic thinking they might do a Woman’s show similar to 205 Live if enough people watched - they didn’t (nor did people watch 205 Live). They did Evolution at the Nassau Coliseum which was about 75% full. With the full weight of the machine behind it and Ronda Rousey on top. USA - not ready.

Plus there's the whole culture of women in Japan vs other countries anyway. There's a huge difference. Let's not pretend it's all built on respect and how great the women are at everything. I doubt those queues are full of men who take their wrestling deadly serious and completely respect all the women for the talent alone.

• Paid Members
28 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Plus there's the whole culture of women in Japan vs other countries anyway. There's a huge difference. Let's not pretend it's all built on respect and how great the women are at everything. I doubt those queues are full of men who take their wrestling deadly serious and completely respect all the women for the talent alone.

7 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Yeah it's all rooted in Idol culture, I've witnessed it to a smaller extent over here with Japanese girl groups coming over and eh.. creeps me the fuck out.

Yeah, there is a reply hanging off the tweet I forgot to address about being portrayed as great wrestlers instead of sex objects, and the ignorance is so awful I nearly died laughing. Because there’s no strong sex element during the wrestling show we should all pretend Joshi wrestlers aren’t presented as sex symbols when every one of them with a degree of good looks ends up with a photo book on the market, whether you’re an Aikawa who was basically Gravure model first and wrestler second, or a serious badass like Shida.

Is that a massive queue? Some on the right look like they're lining up for another table that's out of shot.

Even if you say everyone in the shot is in the line for just those 4. It's a show that drew fewer than 2,000. AJPW being a men's promotion and they had a token mid-card tag match (think Tony Khan's got that booking down). It doesn't scream box office.

Pretty sure there are already plenty of women's wrestlers stateside that would get that kind of queue for their Convention appearances and signings already.

The bigger problem with that statement is that if either of the big American companies wanted to learn how to book stars, they'd be better off looking at 80s Joshi. So would the modern Joshi scene. 

There's also a notable distinction between that classic Joshi scene and the modern day one. The classic one captured a female audience, the modern day one relies on a mostly male audience. 

In Japan that may be somewhat because (as much as some NJPW fans don't like to admit this), both Dragon Gate and NJPW both sought female audiences. 

There's no disputing that AEW are god awful when it comes to booking women's wrestling. I largely think that's because Tony Khan doesn't give a sniff about it. They had something with Rosa/Baker and it still amazes me how badly they dropped the ball on that. 

I think WWE have done a pretty good job. They've equally missed opportunities but there's also been a definite effort. 

I disagree that audiences aren't ready though. I don't think anyone has really put all their eggs in their basket and tested that yet. And I don't think Evolution, a PPV that was only created to appease people upset about them not booking women at Saudi Arabia, is evidence of anything really.